Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MME delivered May '23 + '22 Lightning July '22
Occupation
Network Tech
Country flag
My wife's current PHEV charges L2 at my local IKEA using a Chargepoint 6.6kW.
Takes a few hours for a full charge and she is happy with a very inexpensive charge rate @ $0.19/kWh.

OTOH I would welcome L3 for my Lightning since it's huge battery needs a bit more oomph!

If they build in EA, I hope it's at least 150kW charger.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Electrify America will install ultrafast EV chargers at over 25 IKEA US locations Screenshot 2022-08-12 at 1.47.02 PM
Sponsored

OON7

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: 22 GTPE DMG // Previous: 21 Select CG
Country flag
Is this too far from the highway, or too close to Swensons and Top Golf? šŸ¤£

You might have stopped to charge, but you'll be leaving with a side table, a sore back from the driving range, and a nice milkshake to go.

Seriously though, this is where I want chargers if I am on a trip, close to the highway and I can walk over to multiple close by locations to kill the time. Sure, I want them on the highway rest stops too, but what I am supposed to do sit and people watch the whole time?
Ford Mustang Mach-E Electrify America will install ultrafast EV chargers at over 25 IKEA US locations 1660339574416

UnforAll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E 4x Premium IB; '13 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Occupation
Grad Student
Country flag
"at IKEA retail locations in 18 states including in Arizona, California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Kansas, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Oregon, Texas, Utah, Virginia and Washington."

EA and IKEA haven't identified the specific locations, but there are currently only two IKEA locations in Maryland (White Marsh and College Park) and two in Virginia (Woodbridge and Norfolk). All four are close (not more than 2 miles) to major interstates: I-95, I-495/I-95, I-95, and I-64.

Last edited:

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Iā€™m still tripping on IKEA having food. I never knew. šŸ¤”šŸ¤ŖšŸ©

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
"at IKEA retail locations in 18 states including in Arizona, California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Kansas, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Oregon, Texas, Utah, Virginia and Washington."

EA and IKEA haven't identified the specific locations, but there are currently only two IKEA locations in Maryland (White Marsh and College Park) and two in Virginia (Woodbridge and Norfolk). All four are close (not more than 2 miles) to major interstates: I-95, I-495/I-95, I-95, and I-64.
There is only one IKEA in Arizona, and two other EA charging sites are within 5 miles of that store, one north and one south.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Yet another dumb idea. People use gas stations to fill up because they are going from point A to Point B. Hence gas stations are all located on busy routes. Ummm does Best Buy have gas stations ? Cā€™Mon people!! Seriously. Fast chargers are needed along major arteries and ideally places people can get a bite to eat or go to the bathroom. Letā€™s take a poll hereā€¦ how many times a year does anyone here go to ikea? Personally I have not been to an ikea in over 10 years and I have no plans to go. I know why they make these decisions becuse ikea will subsidize
Some of the cost. But itā€™s not smart or efficient. And it will continue to frustrate EV drivers who have to divert to some IKEA 20-30 mins off their planned route to charge.
True, but at least the Kansas IKEA helps plug a charging hole right on I-35 - a major N/S interstate.

RidingwithScotty

First Name
Erin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD SR aka Scotty
Country flag
Personally Iā€˜d love to see more chargers at shopping centers in general; be nice not to always have to fight for the available free L2 chargers every time I go to the one shopping center that has them. Disclaimer: I donā€™t intend to road trip often with this car and charge at home; would simply be nice to occasionally be able to get a few miles back while at a store where I could spend an hour while L2 charging. But more DCFC is certainly welcome!

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Personally Iā€˜d love to see more chargers at shopping centers in general; be nice not to always have to fight for the available free L2 chargers every time I go to the one shopping center that has them. Disclaimer: I donā€™t intend to road trip often with this car and charge at home; would simply be nice to occasionally be able to get a few miles back while at a store where I could spend an hour while L2 charging. But more DCFC is certainly welcome!
Definitely, more L2 charging is needed in areas where there are no major travel routes. More L3 charging is still needed along the many main corridors along with a smattering of L2. šŸ˜ŠšŸ©

IgorKl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME GT and '22 MME CaliRoute 1 AWD
Country flag
2 notes
1. MME is not ultrafast for charging
2. Any idea when EA will start maintain own infrastructure? Too many broken or very slow ultrafast EA chargers.....

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
2 notes
1. MME is not ultrafast for charging
2. Any idea when EA will start maintain own infrastructure? Too many broken or very slow ultrafast EA chargers.....
glad Iā€™m not the only one who wants to see EA have 4/4 chargers working instead of more locations they canā€™t support. EA consistently has a dismal 25% rate of working chargers at far too many locations.

Iā€™m so fed up with it, Iā€™ve contacted the consumer protection bureau to report EA.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
IKEA in my town has a parking lot thatā€™s very full. Either the charging spots will be ICEā€™d or all charging will be need to be done after the IKEA end if day.
Yep. My first thought was that this seems like a poor fit. Often busy, congested lots. Hopefully most are better than the one in Denver, that's got a parking garage which would make it really hard to find the chargers.

Also pretty useless as a road trip stop. Nobody is buying furniture during a road trip.

Walmart or Target are much better fits. They usually have more restaurants sharing the parking lot too.

IgorKl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME GT and '22 MME CaliRoute 1 AWD
Country flag
Yep. My first thought was that this seems like a poor fit. Often busy, congested lots. Hopefully most are better than the one in Denver, that's got a parking garage which would make it really hard to find the chargers.

Also pretty useless as a road trip stop. Nobody is buying furniture during a road trip.

Walmart or Target are much better fits. They usually have more restaurants sharing the parking lot too.
I bet IKEA came to EA, but not vice versa :)

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Looks like these 25 are jumping the line in EA's Cycle 2/3/4 plans too. I hope that doesn't mean delaying any of the original plan, which is already feeling painfully slow at times. I've been waiting for them to finish the I-80 chargers in Wyoming for half a year. Plugshare shows pictures of the concrete done and the chargers in place months ago. But one location shows the transformer in but the switchbox missing, and the other location vise versa. For months. Frustrating.
Sponsored