Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 2021 Select AWD
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
The Edmunds video states that they got 304 miles of real world range in their EV test loop with a Premium 4X!!!
Yes but no details.... errrr. What speed they were driving what were the conditions. Electric car's range differs hugely depending on many factors. I hate the range estimates at 55 miles/hr on the highway, simply because I never drive that slow.
I was hoping for more real life driving range estimates with details.
Sponsored

Nav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Premium SR AWD
Country flag

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
On one pedal mode do you get brake lights when your foot comes off the pedal? Saw some people really close behind the car and didn't know if they could see the lights or not.
Yes: brake lights illuminate in 1-P mode.

Popeye

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Ford Taurus
Occupation
Computer Programmer
Country flag
In many of the videos posted today I see a "catastrophically" low projected range that often amounts to about 200 miles only or less of the total range. Is there a way in MME to use the EPA range instead of the projected range? If you was driving 75 mph on highway then the predictions of the projected range for your next trip on slow city streets will tell you exactly nothing. If there is no easy option to switch it, I see a big user interface issue for Ford in this.
Ummm it’s called AI. If you watch some of these videos, you will see the MME allows for 5 unique driver profiles and explains how it takes into account the driving habits of each driver. In addition, it takes into account elevation changes such as does the route you are taking go up a big mountain or are you going down one. It’s quite complex actually. Ford is saying it is the best range estimator in the game.

Accord07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Star White Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Matt DeBord of Business Insider is my (stealth) favorite reviewer in this space. If you haven't read his take, I highly recommend it. DeBord is a very careful and thoughtful reviewer, and his piece is totally consistent with my own reactions to the car.
His piece is also my favorite among the reviews I have read today.

Marcel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Woodworker
In many of the videos posted today I see a "catastrophically" low projected range that often amounts to about 200 miles only or less of the total range. Is there a way in MME to use the EPA range instead of the projected range? If you was driving 75 mph on highway then the predictions of the projected range for your next trip on slow city streets will tell you exactly nothing. If there is no easy option to switch it, I see a big user interface issue for Ford in this.
Most non Tesla cars work this way, your range is calculated on the most recent drive...it works for me. Don't try to make the Mach-E a Tesla clone:(

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Several of the reviews noted that the Ford AI is accounting for how the car has been driven. Those reviewers are driving the car in ways that are testing the car and not normal driving. Extreme acceleration and up mountain roads. All that changes range with the AI. Wait until someone like @OutofSpecKyle does a true 70mph range test before judgement on this.

Ravensfan1996

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
So from watching a few hours of video reviews.... my take is everyone loves the car. A few got more range then expected but these are only one day results, not long term drives.

The 0-60 times seem to be off. Most are saying the Premium AWD ER is getting 5.2 or 5.3 times not the 4.8.

And lastly the brakes seem to be a common concern for the reviewers. The transition from re-gen to normal braking seems to be rough from a few videos i saw.

All in all i like what I’ve seen, cant wait to get mine.

Nav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Premium SR AWD
Country flag
Wondering, can we not search within a specific thread? Trying to make sure to not double post and already failed once.

Also would have been good to post "tags" or keywords with each video so it shows up when searching. Short and simple like, "Alex on Autos" or "Doug Demuro" or "Plug&Charge Demo"

$.02

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
So from watching a few hours of video reviews.... my take is everyone loves the car. A few got more range then expected but these are only one day results, not long term drives.

The 0-60 times seem to be off. Most are saying the Premium AWD ER is getting 5.2 or 5.3 times not the 4.8.

And lastly the brakes seem to be a common concern for the reviewers. The transition from re-gen to normal braking seems to be rough from a few videos i saw.

One benefit of these reviews is the wet, damp, cold weather plus a few have been in the snow so those that are worried about winter driving conditions are at least seeing the actual range as a worst case which is more useful IMO.

The lower 0-60, I don't expect much with such a heavy car and eco rubber, probably get better in warmer weather besides a 5 sec 0-60 is never going to be throwing you back in the seat.

The only negatives for me are the few comments related to lack of communicative steering, however that is pretty much the norm in the SUV sector :(, while the other is poor blended braking, as this is going to be my preferred method for driving I hope this is more of a pre production issue and will be better for customers vehicles or gets updated via OTA, if they can't get it right with the base models it doesn't bode well for the GT.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I understand that and it's fine. But without rated range displayed you don't know:
1) your battery calibration and degradation.
2) how many miles to expect from the car on your new trip under new conditions.
For example, when I see 118 miles at 60% battery charge does it mean that if I drive carefully under normal conditions my maximum range is 118 miles or is it 270*0.6 = 162 miles? Can I get to the next charger that is 125 miles away with 60% battery charge?
No one is going to be able to answer any of those questions until we get our cars.
For Question #1: You will need additional hardware and software to read the battery calibration and run degradation tests. The operator doesn't have any need to know these types of things but it's accessible via Engineering Mode.

Question 2: We are interested to learn about that ourselves. I can tell you how Ford handles that in the Focus Electric but we don't know if the MME uses the same method or something new and improved. It's part of the excitement of the new vehicle and getting to learn it's capabilities.

From your questions you've posted so far.....you are a bit early with your questions. Let's get these delivered and out in the wild first and then figure it out together.

When is your car scheduled to arrive? What color and trim level did you select?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I really liked the way the British GQ video ended in the Gridserve Fourcourt charging station. The future meets the future.

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag

That's about right, 5.2 sec. The 4.8 is likely with a 1 foot rollout, so you don't get the couple tenths of a second loss from the time you stomp the pedal until the car can make it to full power. You can't spool up the engine like in an ICE vehicle.

Having driven a few different vehicles, I would say the brake blending calibration Ford has is one of the best out there, so this is surprising. Maybe the reviewers don't drive that many blended vehicles. There is a learning curve, since the brake pedal offers no resistance for regen, but then you get resistance once the mechanical brakes engage.

The InsideEV review did pick an interesting spot for 70mph cruise efficiency. He started around Metropolitan Airport, and finished about Ann Arbor. Cold, into a west wind, full heat, and uphill 200ft. Kinda worst case, lol. That's the 40% range hit scenario, so his numbers made perfect sense.

Last edited:

stmache

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mustang Mach-e GTP, 2017 Ford Mustang EB
Occupation
IT Manager, Photographer
Country flag
I enjoyed watching and reading a lot of the reviews. I found it interesting that most liked the car. A few were very surprised at how well the Mach-E handled for those who had dry roads. Another thing I found funny was about half of the reviewers hated the propulsion sounds and the other half liked it. Many kept saying it was fake V-8 engine sounds. Ah, I don't think they know what a V-8 sounds like. LOL

I know I feel much better about my order now. Still, I wish some of them would review a RWD EXT Premium in the future. Ford put everyone in the 4X ones.

Last edited:

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
We'll see. I just hope this display will not confuse anyone who is going to drive 125 miles when the car displays 150 miles based on the past trip history but is able to drive only about 110 miles. Just be careful.
The car is smarter than that (according to Ford).

At any rate in any EV if the display starts out too high because you only drove at 25 mph for the last "tank" and now on this "tank" you're driving 70 mph it will correct as you go.

So say you have 350 miles of range when you hop on the freeway. If you watch while you drive and compare the range to empty with the odometer you'll notice that the range to empty ("Guess O meter" as its frequently called in EV's) will drop faster than the odometer is counting up.

By the time you get to around 1/2 a "tank" the indicator is usually fairly accurate and even more so at 1/4.

You'll only get stranded if you're not paying attention.
Sponsored