Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE
Occupation
Realtor
Country flag
I had my Emporia charger installed today which leads me to a Question and Review.

First the Question. The Emporia software will allow me to add my Mach E. The first step is to sign in via my FordPass sign in. That concerned me.

I’ve read that allowing other software access to your FordPass account can result in being locked out of FordPass. Will this happen with the Emporia Software?

Now the Review. G&G Electric in Granbury, TX installed my charger for less than $600. They had to install a 60amp breaker, run the wire across the attic to the far side of a 3 car garage. Very smooth install, lasted 2 hours.

I purchased the charger online for $399 plus tax. I’m expecting a 30% tax credit, so the bottom line appears to be $700 installed. Very reasonable. Because…..

Amazing upgrade from the 110 wall plug. What was 3 miles is now 33 miles of range added per hour! The Emporia is rated at 48 amps hardwired and is putting out a steady 46. I am happy! I feel a new sense of security in my ability to get to 90% state of charge. That’s 222 miles estimated at this time running Ford Powerup 3.5.4. I’m digging it!

B2CD766B-EB53-4A72-A062-ABABD341A2DF.jpeg
Sponsored

robbinbadams

First Name
Robbin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
California Route 1
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
I have had an Emporia charger for a year and have no issues. It was an easy install and the software works great.

tannerk89

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E P4X
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Can you screenshot the app that’s allowing you to add your Mach-E? I have an emporia charger and haven’t seen anything about adding my vehicle.

*edit* guess I never really dig into the features of the app.. interested to know what features adding the vehicle adds or if anyone has had issues with logging in via FordPass.

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
I had my Emporia charger installed today which leads me to a Question and Review.

First the Question. The Emporia software will allow me to add my Mach E. The first step is to sign in via my FordPass sign in. That concerned me.

I’ve read that allowing other software access to your FordPass account can result in being locked out of FordPass. Will this happen with the Emporia Software?
No problem telling the app you *have* a Mach E. But.... Do not share your FordPass username and password with any service, for any reason. If Ford has allowed a 3rd party to access your vehicle data, they will provide a way to approve that by signing in thru Ford. Others have reported problems with battery drain when a 3rd party is polling the car status too often.

yngwenli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I always thought adding the EV was if you also buy all the Emporia monitoring stuff and have it more integrated maybe with multiple EVs. I didn't bother since for a single EV household (me), all the charging data is only for 1 car. I'd be hesitant to put my login info in the app myself.

$399 seems to be their regular price now.

circatee

First Name
circatee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A Ford
Country flag
I am hoping to receive an Emporia unit today.
To confirm, it is not compulsory for me to use the Emporia app, right?

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I am hoping to receive an Emporia unit today.
To confirm, it is not compulsory for me to use the Emporia app, right?
No, you don't have to use it.

However that is the only app I do use. I've never used the Ford Pass app nor any in car charger settings. I specifically bought the Emporia charger so I can charge on excess solar only. It will vary the charging amperage depending on your excess solar so I just plug it in and never have to worry that it will use my batteries or the grid for charging. Of course, if you don't have solar, you can charge via a custom schedule or enter in your utility rate plan and it will only charge during your off peak times. I've also installed the Emporia Energy Monitor system which allows me to log into Emporia on my computer and control charging from there. It pulls up a page that looks identical to the phone app.

circatee

First Name
circatee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A Ford
Country flag
No, you don't have to use it.

However that is the only app I do use. I've never used the Ford Pass app nor any in car charger settings. I specifically bought the Emporia charger so I can charge on excess solar only. It will vary the charging amperage depending on your excess solar so I just plug it in and never have to worry that it will use my batteries or the grid for charging. Of course, if you don't have solar, you can charge via a custom schedule or enter in your utility rate plan and it will only charge during your off peak times. I've also installed the Emporia Energy Monitor system which allows me to log into Emporia on my computer and control charging from there. It pulls up a page that is identical to what you see on the app on your phone.
...thanks for the breakdown.

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
The app lets you set the rate to something other that 40amps. Love the app, has charts and compiles costs etc.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Emporia Charger & FordPass. Question & Review Screenshot_20230924-100050

Ford Mustang Mach-E Emporia Charger & FordPass. Question & Review Screenshot_20230924-101514

circatee

First Name
circatee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A Ford
Country flag
The app lets you set the rate to something other that 40amps. Love the app, has charts and compiles costs etc.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Emporia Charger & FordPass. Question & Review Screenshot_20230924-101514

Hmm, who doesn't love stats.

I guess the other question I should asked, and might now be moot; is using WIFI compulsory?
Then again, if I don't connect via WIFI, I wouldn't get stats, and such, right?

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Hmm, who doesn't love stats.

I guess the other question I should asked, and might now be moot; is using WIFI compulsory?
Then again, if I don't connect via WIFI, I wouldn't get stats, and such, right?
Your phone initially connects to the charger via Bluetooth so that you can connect your Wi-Fi to the charger. Yes you need Wi-Fi to control it and view all the stats.

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
Hmm, it is a sealed unit, can be opened up for 48 amp installation. I wonder if there is an Ethernet port on the motherboard. One could plug in a cat6..

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Hmm, it is a sealed unit, can be opened up for 48 amp installation. I wonder if there is an Ethernet port on the motherboard. One could plug in a cat6..
There is no Ethernet port inside the charger.

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I just hope my WIFI connects okay, from the garage...
I had a ChargePoint charger prior to the Emporia and it had trouble sometime staying connected as my Wi-Fi router is not close to the garage but the Emporia has never had an issue so far and have had it over a year.
Sponsored