generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Side note, first review I've seen that described you can LOCK the doors from the outside by touching them.
But I think he was doing it wrong. I’m pretty sure you just touch the lock symbol, not wave your whole hand over the open button. That’s why he had a hard time getting it to work.
Sponsored

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
the other interesting comment in the video is about the tire size and weight. Not something I usually think about
Yes but what he didn't mention is the last info on those tires 225 55 R19 103H, I believe 103 is the weight factor that those tires are capable of which is pretty high and H is the speed performance factor I think which in this case mean High :) . Maybe a more inform person on the forum can explain in better way.

EV Lab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME 4XE, Ford F-150, Honda Civic EV conversion
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
We know this... how? I'm not arguing, I'm just saying that my old Ford PHEV would charge immediately in any temperature too - but that was because it *couldn't* warm itself up, not because the chemistry was magical, and it had huge battery degradation in the time I owned it. Heating the battery up might not be a chemistry thing, might not be required at all, but might be a warranty avoidance strategy at Tesla - we have no way to know, and therefore no reason to suspect the cars we haven't even yet bought are better.
Agreed. Until a datasheet leaks for the cells used in the MME, it's pure speculation regarding the recommended operating temperature of the battery. The cells, cell packaging, charger, battery management and thermal management solutions are all different. There are also many strategies that could be used, and Tesla could have figured that warming the battery a bit then starting charging at a higher level was the best charging strategy for them for cold temps.

I'm anxiously awaiting more real-world data to be shared to understand it a bit better...

BlueMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Agreed. Until a datasheet leaks for the cells used in the MME, it's pure speculation regarding the recommended operating temperature of the battery. The cells, cell packaging, charger, battery management and thermal management solutions are all different. There are also many strategies that could be used, and Tesla could have figured that warming the battery a bit then starting charging at a higher level was the best charging strategy for them for cold temps.

I'm anxiously awaiting more real-world data to be shared to understand it a bit better...
Unfortunately it looks like we'll miss some of the very cold weather this winter with the delivery timeline, but I'll gladly report my charging speed in cold weather once I get it.

NotSoJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CRV, Mustang Mach-E reservation holder
Country flag
I mean yes, if you open a normal door and then close it on your hand, it will also pinch your hand.
I did a test with my 4 year old with our CRV, which does have a handle obviously. She doesn't have the leverage to open the door, regardless. Once I crack it open for her, she does in fact wrap her little fingers around the side of the door to finish opening. With a button, now she can open the door without my assistance and I think she'll really enjoy the experience (big plus in my book). In addition, when she is leaving the car and goes to close it, she again wraps her fingers around the side of the door to get the leverage she needs. So in summary, young kids are going to do this regardless of the car. At the very least the MME has thought of one way to limit pinched fingers vs any other car that does not. Quite frankly, i think this feature will be replicated on many high-end and family cars in the future. My BIGGEST concern is the nasty, greasy fingers constantly leaving smudges....

Either way, great video, lots of discussion over topics we haven't seen before.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
We know this... how? I'm not arguing, I'm just saying that my old Ford PHEV would charge immediately in any temperature too - but that was because it *couldn't* warm itself up, not because the chemistry was magical, and it had huge battery degradation in the time I owned it. Heating the battery up might not be a chemistry thing, might not be required at all, but might be a warranty avoidance strategy at Tesla - we have no way to know, and therefore no reason to suspect the cars we haven't even yet bought are better.
Yeah, we don't know the details as to why Tesla has a different minimum temperature. I'm only reporting what's observed between the two cars.
And regardless of that, Ford and Tesla aren't using the same batteries or thermal management system. There a lot of variables confounding the "why" part, so it's possible they have different tolerances. All we have right now is the charging observation.

BlueMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Yeah, we don't know the details as to why Tesla has a different minimum temperature. I'm only reporting what's observed between the two cars.
And regardless of that, Ford and Tesla aren't using the same batteries or thermal management system. There a lot of variables confounding the "why" part, so it's possible they have different tolerances. All we have right now is the charging observation.
Yeah, all I'm saying is without the why, we can't tell which is better, but ultimately, it probably doesn't matter to the average user that much.

All EVs are good EVs, I don't really like the negativity against Tesla on here. We should all want EVs to dominate regardless of which plastic badge is glued near where the grille used to be.

ICE is the enemy here, not Tesla, not GM, etc.

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
funny how he praises the door keypad. I have a 2013 explorer bought new and that key pad has never really worked.
I have a 2014 Fusion Hybrid and I used that door pad more than the fob, which is still working on its original factory cell. It is easier to access when I just need to unlock the car or access the trunk when I am working outside and not carrying the fob. And, in my case, I can lock the car with the fob inside, then open with the pad. I only need the fob to start the car. That door pad is one of the best features that Ford has added to its entire line of cars and trucks. And, BTW, Ford does sell an add-on kit for older cars, that didn't come with the pad.

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
yeah but if you pull it past the point that protection retracts then it could be an issue. I am pessimistic so I am thinking of what can go wrong.
If you are so pessimistic, then don't drive or even get near a car. It will run over you!

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
I really liked his idea of cooling the frunk with the hvac
As a trivial fact, the Fusion and C-Max Hybrids and Energi models cool their trunks with the A/C system. The air flows through the rear battery and exhausts in the trunk. When I put shopping bags in the trunk, they are cool when I take them out later.

Luffie

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e RWD Ext.range TP+
Country flag
I have a 2014 Fusion Hybrid and I used that door pad more than the fob, which is still working on its original factory cell. It is easier to access when I just need to unlock the car or access the trunk when I am working outside and not carrying the fob. And, in my case, I can lock the car with the fob inside, then open with the pad. I only need the fob to start the car. That door pad is one of the best features that Ford has added to its entire line of cars and trucks. And, BTW, Ford does sell an add-on kit for older cars, that didn't come with the pad.
Just a question, when you open the door the the door pad key...you really need to be sure no one is sneaky looking from behind in order to see the code.

How can you secure this, from thieves ?

Here in Europe I have never driven with this kind of feature?
Sponsored

Last edited: