OP
TheSteelRider

TheSteelRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RWD
Country flag
Ford has been putting these combo locks on their vehicles for 40 years. I think they've got it figured out by now. Just make sure that you've set the combination and tested it before you need it.
Good point, clearly they've thought it through.
Sponsored

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
This is going to take me awhile to get used to. Maybe a few successful tries in a "safe space." Nothing could be worse than getting back from a run in a forest preserve only to have your keys and phone locked in your car. I really hate having to run with extra stuff on me, but I don't want to worry about my stuff during the entire run or wonder if my car is sitting there for the taking. I feel like it would be a Darwin award, "man leaves phone and key in car, unlocked, and leaves for a few hours. " This has to be something the engineers thought of, but I'm still waiting to see the exact process.
Turn the phone off. Put the key fob in a Faraday bag. Lock the doors. When you're back from the run use the keypad combo to unlock the doors, remove the keyfob from the Farady bag, turn the phone on. Upload your Garmin to Strava and Facebook (Because it doesn't count if you don't do those). Then you're good to go. ;)

At least that's what I think should work (presuming the Faraday bag actually works). But the part about Strava and Facebook? That's an immutable law of distance running. Duh. ;)

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I'm surprised so many reviewers haven't noticed the rubber grab pad on the rear doors. It seems so obvious there actually is a "handle" of sorts.

And he doesn't notice that the door has a prop that prevents it from being bumped closed and preventing the pinching issue he complains about.
I think he was so focused on how to take more video than usual in a short time that he wasn't paying attention during the press briefing. They must have explained those features about how the doors open.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Just a question, when you open the door the the door pad key...you really need to be sure no one is sneaky looking from behind in order to see the code.

How can you secure this, from thieves ?

Here in Europe I have never driven with this kind of feature?
If I was in a place where I was that worried with theft I don't think I'd park my Mach E there period!

DaveRuns

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Turn the phone off. Put the key fob in a Faraday bag. Lock the doors. When you're back from the run use the keypad combo to unlock the doors, remove the keyfob from the Farady bag, turn the phone on. Upload your Garmin to Strava and Facebook (Because it doesn't count if you don't do those). Then you're good to go. ;)

At least that's what I think should work (presuming the Faraday bag actually works). But the part about Strava and Facebook? That's an immutable law of distance running. Duh. ;)
Haha...I don't do Facebook, but Strava is a must. My Garmin automatically uploads to Strava for me. I then have to use an app called RunGap to sync my runs to 'Runkeeper' (I get reward points for the Rock N Roll series marathons for each run). I know...it's a process.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I’m going to use that keypad feature often. With my Accord, when I go on runs, I usually hide the key on top of the tire. With the MME, I’ll be able to leave the key at home, and simply use the keypad to get into the car! I dig it!
Of course, Ford warns against that (p64):

Note: Do not leave a duplicate coded key in the vehicle. Always take your keys and phone and lock all doors when leaving the vehicle.

DaveRuns

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Of course, Ford warns against that (p64):

Note: Do not leave a duplicate coded key in the vehicle. Always take your keys and phone and lock all doors when leaving the vehicle.
You're just full of good news tonight.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
You're just full of good news tonight.
I didn't say you can't do it. Just that a Ford lawyer couldn't pass up that CYA opportunity ?

OP
OP
TheSteelRider

TheSteelRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RWD
Country flag
I think he was so focused on how to take more video than usual in a short time that he wasn't paying attention during the press briefing. They must have explained those features about how the doors open.
It was a very different video than what he usually shoots, he didn't even take it for a spin. Almost like he pulled it in to his garage, walked around it with a camera for 30 minutes, then gave it back. A tad disappointing since he is a Model 3 owner, so it would have been a nice comparison point to get his driving impressions.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
It was a very different video than what he usually shoots, he didn't even take it for a spin. Almost like he pulled it in to his garage, walked around it with a camera for 30 minutes, then gave it back. A tad disappointing since he is a Model 3 owner, so it would have been a nice comparison point to get his driving impressions.
Stay tuned. He said he has more coming. But he also said he's too lazy to put them together quickly.
Sponsored