Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E First Edition Grabber Blue
Occupation
Finance
Country flag
Considering the reported unreliability of PAAK, I want to make sure I have the set up of the dual pass code systems for entry and “ignition” nailed down. Is it called “ignition” in an EV? I have been scouring YouTube and the forums and it seems like there is conflicting information as to which set up is being controlled through SYNC. I thought both would be controlled there but I can’t figure out how to set up both. Keep in mind I don’t get my car for another week or so, but I like to have something to do until then and obsessing over these things passes the time. Has anyone set up both pass codes successfully and used it for entry and startup? If so, can they explain the process? Thanks
Sponsored

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Considering the reported unreliability of PAAK, I want to make sure I have the set up of the dual pass code systems for entry and “ignition” nailed down. Is it called “ignition” in an EV? I have been scouring YouTube and the forums and it seems like there is conflicting information as to which set up is being controlled through SYNC. I thought both would be controlled there but I can’t figure out how to set up both. Keep in mind I don’t get my car for another week or so, but I like to have something to do until then and obsessing over these things passes the time. Has anyone set up both pass codes successfully and used it for entry and startup? If so, can they explain the process? Thanks

The entry code is a 5 digit code, then there is a backup password for starting the car. Both are setup when you do the paak setup inside the car via the tablet. It's all one process, I believe about 5 steps.

Setting up the phone is probably the hardest part as it depends on the OS if the phone, probably took 5 minutes.

If you don't setup the backup password right away it can be done later in the settings (don't remember which tab, I think it's profiles).

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Yep, when I went through creating a profile, setting up my phone, etc I had the opportunity to set both. The entry code is 5 digits long, but the start passcode is alphanumeric and I don't remember if there was a limit. The odd thing is that I got in the car keylessly using the 5 digit code and started the car, but was only playing with settings and didn't intend to drive anywhere. Every couple of minutes it would time out and make me enter the start code again. I assume if I started driving it would not have, but I was in jammies and slippers so wasn't about to go for a drive to test it :)

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
I think @timbop and @JCHLi have answered your questions. I'll just note that if you need to uninstall and reinstall FordPass you can opt to keep the existing start passcode, which can save a little bit of time.

MailGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt Premier, Mini Cooper SE, Mustang Mach E FE
Country flag
I haven't setup PaaK yet but wish you could setup the backup start code without PaaK enabled. I have never intended to use PaaK because I don't generally like apps running in the background consuming phone battery. My phone is a phone first, Text/eMail client second and my boarding pass to far off places third. That's all I expect it to do. I'm seriously thinking that I will go back to the dealer and get a second fob this week. I half expect them to not be available yet. Having only one way to start the car makes me really uneasy.

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I haven't setup PaaK yet but wish you could setup the backup start code without PaaK enabled. I have never intended to use PaaK because I don't generally like apps running in the background consuming phone battery. My phone is a phone first, Text/eMail client second and my boarding pass to far off places third. That's all I expect it to do. I'm seriously thinking that I will go back to the dealer and get a second fob this week. I half expect them to not be available yet. Having only one way to start the car makes me really uneasy.
I think you could still setup the backup password and not use paak. I think you might need to start with the paak and just turn it off (speculation). Then it would be the same as if you forgot you paak.

BATTERIESRIT

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Camry
Country flag
The entry code is a 5 digit code, then there is a backup password for starting the car. Both are setup when you do the paak setup inside the car via the tablet. It's all one process, I believe about 5 steps.

Setting up the phone is probably the hardest part as it depends on the OS if the phone, probably took 5 minutes.

If you don't setup the backup password right away it can be done later in the settings (don't remember which tab, I think it's profiles).
I do not believe you can do it in settings. There is no procedure to later add the backup pass code if not during the initial set up. Ford dropped the fob on this one as we have one fob and can not figure out how to set up this code so we can start the car without a fob. There was no option in our PAAK setup..
Ford also dropped the fob when they set up the software as there is a procedure to change the 5 digit door code but none for the backup pass code. How could anyone and I mean anyone not be awake enough to not think of this? I wish companies would let volunteers review the screens and manuals first. What else has been missed that is so obvious to us users.

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I do not believe you can do it in settings. There is no procedure to later add the backup pass code if not during the initial set up. Ford dropped the fob on this one as we have one fob and can not figure out how to set up this code so we can start the car without a fob. There was no option in our PAAK setup..
Ford also dropped the fob when they set up the software as there is a procedure to change the 5 digit door code but none for the backup pass code. How could anyone and I mean anyone not be awake enough to not think of this? I wish companies would let volunteers review the screens and manuals first. What else has been missed that is so obvious to us users.

Try here
PXL_20210318_200704901.jpg

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag
As pointed out by @JCHLi , you absolutely can update things in Settings. Now, in order to have the option to create/erase/reset Backup start code, you need to properly set up PaaK. For example, I had PaaK setup (and my Backup start code had been setup), but the option to create/erase/reset never appeared for me. So I had to reset PaaK and start over.

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
As pointed out by @JCHLi , you absolutely can update things in Settings. Now, in order to have the option to create/erase/reset Backup start code, you need to properly set up PaaK. For example, I had PaaK setup (and my Backup start code had been setup), but the option to create/erase/reset never appeared for me. So I had to reset PaaK and start over.

So are those options greyed out until you setup a phone as a key or do they not even show?

BATTERIESRIT

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Camry
Country flag
The screen will allow you to change the five digit door code from the one assigned by the factory and as shown on a card that comes with the car.
The bad news is that the screen does not have functionality to later change the backup pass code that may have been entered by you during the PAAK setup.
We somehow did not see the screen to create a backup pass code while setting up PAAK with our phones at the dealership. Through a blatant oversight Ford did not create a screen setup to later create the backup pass code or to later change this code like one can change the door code. A blatant oversight. I spent an hour explaining this situation during what turned out to be a waste of time chat session on FordPass.
So we have one key for two drivers and if something happens to the remote’s functionality, the car will just sit there.
Hello Ford, please fix this. I hope the much tested Synch4 code has no more blatant errors of omission.

BATTERIESRIT

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Camry
Country flag
So are those options greyed out until you setup a phone as a key or do they not even show?
Set up phones at dealership but did not seem to have a chance to create a backup code or maybe salesman felt we could create it later. We do not remember. Now the screen to enter the backup pass code is grayed out and Ford and all the experts creating and testing code did not even think of a owner needing to do this later or to change the code later. Yet there is a a very nice procedure to change the door code. This should have triggered someone to think: two codes = two procedures needed. Inexcusable lack of thought here.

Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prior--Leaf,Bolt EV. Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Set up phones at dealership but did not seem to have a chance to create a backup code or maybe salesman felt we could create it later. We do not remember. Now the screen to enter the backup pass code is grayed out and Ford and all the experts creating and testing code did not even think of a owner needing to do this later or to change the code later. Yet there is a a very nice procedure to change the door code. This should have triggered someone to think: two codes = two procedures needed. Inexcusable lack of thought here.
I just changed mine last night. It was pretty easy to do. Unfortunately, easy enough that I don't remember how I did it. Try digging a bit deeper in the settings in the car while you have both fob and PAAK with you. If you can't find it, I will try to see if I can retrace my steps. Good luck.

fallguy

First Name
fallguy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender, 1968 Mustang, 2021 Mach-E GT
Occupation
Federal
Country flag
I refuse to learn the one issued to me with the car. And since I can't use PAAK, I can't setup my own. I want to use my own numbers, and not learn another pass code. Once PAAK works, I will use it I'm sure. There have been instances where I have wanted to.
Sponsored