EPA range and efficiency of MME

polzovotel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, Pilot
Country flag
Hi,

I wonder when we will get an official EPA rating and what even most important miles per Kwh data?
It is so close to production but we still do not have these essential things..,

As for efficiency - I am a bit concerned about that - 99 kWh battery, 88 kWh usable and only 270 miles in range... (AWD, ER)
I hope the final numbers will be better.

Tesla MY real world range is 270 miles per full (~73 kWh usable) charge. This should result in 325 miles real-world range for MME (for the same efficiency).
Sponsored

Last edited:

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Hi,

I wonder when we will get an official EPA rating and what even most important miles per Kwh data?

As for efficiency - I am a bit concerned about that - 99 kWh battery, 88 kWh usable and only 270 miles in range... (AWD, ER)

Tesla MY real world range is 270 miles per full (~73 kWh usable) charge. This should result in 325 miles real-world range for MME (for the same efficiency).
My guess is that EPA numbers would be released closer to Job #1 when production models are really cranking out and Ford grabs a few for dyno testing.

At that point the cars will likely be pretty much identical to each other in characteristics so that a random sample of a few will produce the same results on the EPA test.

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
How does a heat pump increase the efficiency? I'm sure this is a simple question, but I cannot figure it out.

*Edit* I guess I understand for cold weather driving, but in general I'm not seeing an advantage.

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
Heat is energy-intensive in a BEV. The heat pump is a very efficient way to heat the car.

Yes, the "no heat pump" is one of the few things that is disappointing about the MME. And I agree the EPA range will not be as high as the Model Y.

When I think about my real-world range, I always break it down to my winter and summer range. As I've stated before, my two BEV's are either significantly above or below the EPA range depending on the season (Seattle).

Summer city driving.

Ford Mustang Mach-E EPA range and efficiency of MME 1596995525810

Ford Mustang Mach-E EPA range and efficiency of MME 1596995580571

And in the winter it is half that.

EVer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 SuperCrew Cab, Tesla Model 3P
Country flag
My guess is that EPA numbers would be released closer to Job #1 when production models are really cranking out and Ford grabs a few for dyno testing.
Tested cars are often prototypes. However I agree, it likely won’t be available until production.

How does a heat pump increase the efficiency? I'm sure this is a simple question, but I cannot figure it out.

*Edit* I guess I understand for cold weather driving, but in general I'm not seeing an advantage.
A heat pump can help cabin heating efficiency, but it won’t materialize in the EPA figure.

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Tested cars are often prototypes. However I agree, it likely won’t be available until production.

A heat pump can help cabin heating efficiency, but it won’t materialize in the EPA figure.
Thanks for the answer. I can see it as helpful for heating, but didn't think it would impact EPA range.

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What temperature do they test at? If the HVAC is on and it's cooling, why would the heat pump even matter? I assume they have a standard temperature or temperatures, is one test run in cold weather?

EVer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 SuperCrew Cab, Tesla Model 3P
Country flag
Air conditioning is. Heat is not. One must remember these tests are combustion engine centric. Aside from the fans, heat is free, so they don’t test it. The cold test is about engine efficiency with cold cranking etc.

Using a heat pump in place of a resistive heater may increase efficiency in the real world, but not in the current EPA tests.
Ford Mustang Mach-E EPA range and efficiency of MME 3CD94F0F-AFDB-4E99-900E-D56712EDE14B

Orangefirefish

First Name
SY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Hi,

One thing to note... MY/M3 drivers routinely report getting lower than EPA range. Why that is could be down to the way the ratio of highway to city driving that is used in EPA measurements vs actual driving habits, or actually a reflection on Tesla’s insistence to use the number as-is. So, don’t take that number from Tesla as gospel. Plenty of MY LR AWD drivers report average numbers closer to 300 Wh/mi, which would push the typical range closer to 225-250 mi. (ala MME standard range estimates). Also keep in mind Tesla recommends a sub-90% charge regularly to preserver battery life- their buffer is tiny.

It is possible that Ford will use a number that is more reflective of US driving habits (with a higher highway mix than EPA standards) and it’s also possible that the numbers could be higher pending final production. After all, the standard range MME has a battery approaching the size of the LR Model Y. Also, the MME has a larger buffer built in, which should help with battery longevity and allow the user to routinely charge to higher levels like 100%. The MME doesn’t appear to be a poorly designed car in terms of aerodynamics, either, so I am hopeful. I do wish manufacturers were required to give one number of pure city driving, and a number for pure highway, like for an ICE vehicle, to arrive at their “combined” number based on their use cases.

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
I don't expect Mach E to match Model Y in efficiency.

* Model Y has a drag coefficient of 0.23. Model Y AWD weighs 4416 lb.
* Ford stated that Mach E will have a drag coefficient of under 0.3. the specific number isn't released yet. Mach E weighs 4394 to 4890 lb. (The lower bound is probably SR RWD. Not sure if the upper bound is ER AWD or GT.)
Sponsored