EPA range and efficiency of MME

EVer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 SuperCrew Cab, Tesla Model 3P
Country flag
I don't even care what miles/kWh and range is around home, as long as it's more than enough for a regular day (and it is). I'll just plug it in overnight at home and not even worry about that. Efficiency and range only matters on road trips where I have to babysit the car at a public charger for 30-40 minutes at stop after stop.
Agreed. The only time I've even paid attention was when driving >200 miles in a go.
Sponsored

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Ford Authority has posted an article about the Mach-E range:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Range Numbers Could Rise Following EPA Testing
https://fordauthority.com/2020/08/f...nge-numbers-could-rise-following-epa-testing/

As the owner of a 2014 Fusion Hybrid that constantly gives me over the EPA rated 44 MPG (I have reached 54 MPG), I expect the Mach-E standard (Select) range to pass 230 miles. And I also expect many of new Mach-E owners to compete here posting the best ranges. I guess it can pass 250 miles.

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Since I live on an island that is about 110 miles long, any range over 200 miles is more than enough for me. I can only travel in circles, because any point on the island is less than 60 miles away in the same direction. Any more will put me and my car in the sea!.

Serously, I drive less than 300 miles a month, so one or two overnight charges will last me all month. Presently my Fusion Hybrid has a 11.5 gallon fuel tank, and it does last me two months.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Since I live on an island that is about 110 miles long, any range over 200 miles is more than enough for me. I can only travel in circles, because any point on the island is less than 60 miles away in the same direction. Any more will put me and my car in the sea!.

Serously, I drive less than 300 miles a month, so one or two overnight charges will last me all month. Presently my Fusion Hybrid has a 11.5 gallon fuel tank, and it does last me two months.
I've spent enough time in PR to agree. Standard Range should be enough, although a San Juan/Bayamon - Mayguez round trip might cut it close.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Ford Authority has posted an article about the Mach-E range:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Range Numbers Could Rise Following EPA Testing
https://fordauthority.com/2020/08/f...nge-numbers-could-rise-following-epa-testing/

As the owner of a 2014 Fusion Hybrid that constantly gives me over the EPA rated 44 MPG (I have reached 54 MPG), I expect the Mach-E standard (Select) range to pass 230 miles. And I also expect many of new Mach-E owners to compete here posting the best ranges. I guess it can pass 250 miles.
That "article" is meaningless speculation, just like the insideevs article that quoted a rumor post on the other mache forum.

ab13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag
The one thing to consider about efficiency is the trade offs. Looking closer, the Model Y made some trade offs that people don't realize. I looked at the Model Y as they were driving around and felt the rear passenger section was very narrow above the window line. Then after reviewing the rear seat hip room, which has been mentioned in some other articles, the Model Y has less hip room than the Model 3 and both have less than the Mach E. So if you really want to fit 3 people back there, the extra space will be better.

53.3 in Mach E, 50.6 on Model Y.

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
Yes! I have 3 teenagers so I pay attention to rear hip and Rear shoulder room more than leg room. Plus they are under 5’10”.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
It will be really interesting to see how the MME range changes between Whisper, Engage, and Unbridled. Which is more efficient in real-world tests: more coast or more aggressive regeneration?

This article discussing how Tesla games the system favors high regeneration:
https://www.caranddriver.com/featur...-factor-tesla-uses-for-big-epa-range-numbers/

"The key to extending EPA range is to use less electricity to propel the vehicle and to recapture as much energy as possible using the electric motors to slow the vehicle whenever the driver lifts off the accelerator during the EPA cycles' many slowdowns. Tesla's aggressive regenerative braking alone nets it a 13 percent gain in range versus the Porsche Taycan, which waits until the driver presses the brake pedal before initiating meaningful regen [see "Power Ranger"]."

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I have a sneaking suspicion that Ford has run those tests in all the modes and every variant thereof. And with tire pressures ranging from "smooshy" to "bursting the seams but within limits." And they know the answer already.

Your mission @ChasingCoral, should you choose to accept it, is to find those settings, variations, and variables, then to report back here. As always if you or any member of your team is caught, the admins of the Mach-E Forum will disavow any knowledge of your actions. Good luck Mark!

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag