Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
and here's another road test showing the Taycan with a range of 250-285 miles:

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/02/03/2020-porsche-taycan-turbos-range-test/
The discrepancies in range seem to be much more theoretical rather than "real world" experience. It kind of reminds me of the the DSLR market 10 years ago when the focus was almost exclusively on pixel count - the higher MP cameras didn't really give any better perceivable image but that's what everyone worried about. In the case of BEV range, it seems Tesla appears to be leaps ahead because they report best-case and certainly Porsche at least is representing closer to a worst-case. Buffer size may also exacerbate the situation - Tesla tells you to charge only to 80% but I have not seen that guidance from other manufacturers (but I could be wrong).

slawwach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 428i convertible
Country flag

Res Nullius

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
e-Golf, X3
Country flag

cometguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Panamera 4 E-Hybrid Sport Turismo
Country flag
Over on the Taycan forum, a new owner says that using "Range" mode (which optimizes the AC/heat system and other parts of the car drawing off the battery pack), he is able to get close to 300 miles. So in local commuting where you aren't doing 0-60 times in 2.4 seconds, it appears that you really can get Tesla-like mileage in a Taycan.

ab13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag
The Taycan has a two speed transmission, getting the "range" gear probably didn't occur often in the EPA test.

FredT

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Passat Wagon
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
You saw a Kona in there? ;)

cometguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
"Louv" just finished his 11k-mile journey around North America in his new Taycan Turbo. I attach a photo he posted of his stats on his last day, 1044 miles in 17 hours of driving up the east coast to Maine: 33.4 kWh/100 Miles, which translates to 281 miles of range if you take the stated 93.4 kWh as the full size of the battery pack (or 251 miles of range if you take the stated usable 83.7 kWh part of the battery pack). Not bad!

Ford Mustang Mach-E EPA Range for Porsche Taycan is 201 Miles Screen Shot 2020-03-15 at 5.28.39 PM

PlusEdison

First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Honda Accord, 2019 SL450
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I would not be surprised if the EPA has drastically changed their evaluation for EVs in the last two years, given that the Trump administration is so anti-EV. The White House and Republicans are avidly promoting fossil-fuel energy much more than the previous administration, and they just refused to extend the $7500 tax credit for another 200k-400k miles to help Tesla and GM (and other automakers like Ford and Toyota that will soon reach the current 200k-mile limit for tax credits). Would you put it past the EPA to have downgraded all EV ranges "somehow", to try hurting the EV revolution? I'm very skeptical of the EPA figure for the Taycan, given what other sources are finding.
They’re extended until the 2022/2023. Thanks for your political hatred post. You actually think Congress Tripps the EPA to fudge numbers? The EPA has the most accurate range estimates you can find electric or Carbon powered. Have fun!

cometguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
They’re extended until the 2022/2023. Thanks for your political hatred post. You actually think Congress Tripps the EPA to fudge numbers? The EPA has the most accurate range estimates you can find electric or Carbon powered. Have fun!
no, not a hatred post in the slightest... Just trying to look at reality, that's all. Congress has zero control over EPA other than setting laws that EPA is supposed to follow, but the Executive branch can use EPA as a puppet pretty much anyway they like. It's known that the Trump administration is gutting EPA -- that's a fact. So it follows naturally, with all the corrupt happenings in DC these days, that they'd be pandering to the oil lobby/industry. Just because somebody writes something that you might not agree with doesn't mean that it's intended maliciously or in hatred toward you or anybody else.
Sponsored