Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lexus ES300h
Country flag
So it's Trump that's having the EPA fudge the #s on the Taycan. Got it. OY!!!!

Just to divert you for a second from the Rachel Madcow conspiracy theories, several independent reviewers didn't get much better #s from the Taycan than the EPA. So I guess Trump got to them too. Excuse me while I knock my head against the wall.
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
So it's Trump that's having the EPA fudge the #s on the Taycan. Got it. OY!!!!

Just to divert you for a second from the Rachel Madcow conspiracy theories, several independent reviewers didn't get much better #s from the Taycan than the EPA. So I guess Trump got to them too. Excuse me while I knock my head against the wall.
Actually, most reviews I have seen report much higher numbers than the EPA estimate, and the guy that drove around the continental US generated some pretty interesting data. Is it likely Trump had the EPA fudge the numbers? No, not in my opinion - from what I understand the EPA basically audits the paperwork provided by the manufacturer, which means Porsche is to blame for the low numbers.

On the other hand, There is now a program to subsidize new coal fired power plants. That is because coal is the most expensive way to generate electricity, which is clearly a backward looking policy aimed to appease a small minority. So yes, there are some odd things going on in the executive branch.

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lexus ES300h
Country flag
There are several responses I could make to this, but in the interest of trying to steer this away from politics (don't we get enough politics 24/7...some of us come here to get away from this crap), I'll defer and ignore the subject of 'new coal fired plants' and allow the discussion to get back to the Taycan and its EPA rating. ;)

slawwach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 428i convertible
Country flag
For interested this page explains EPA the testing procedure pretty well:
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/how_tested.shtml

Somewhere on the page you will also find a link to the cycles:
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/fe_test_schedules.shtml

Electric vehicles do not have to do all 5 cycles, and I believe no one does it. Instead they do city and highway cycles only and then multiply the result by 0.7. This is described here:
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/pdfs/EPA test procedure for EVs-PHEVs-11-14-2017.pdf

cometguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Panamera 4 E-Hybrid Sport Turismo
Country flag
No, my remarks were not intended to be the least bit political -- just matter-of-fact. I'm not saying that Trump did anything regarding Taycan EPA figures, and that's an absurd statement (above) to suggest that I could have done so. I'm saying that the EPA has been changed dramatically by the Trump administration, which is working both openly and secretly to decimate regulations and rules that have taken decades to be put in place for the public good. It's also been widely speculated on other forums that the EPA has had it in for Porsche, Audi, and the rest of the VW Group because of the deiselgate scandal -- leaving cars at port for half a year (and sometimes as long as 8-9 months) inexplicably, by taking many months to certify them.

In a nutshell, Porsche has done very well with the battery technology for its EVs, and the Taycan is basically on about the same level as Tesla in terms of real-world range. It seems that Porsche Taycans may be even better than models of Tesla and other BEV manufacturers in terms of cold-weather range because of their technology of the built-in thermal warming/cooling of the battery pack. I encourage anybody here who's interested in BEVs seriously to go test-drive a Taycan; all Porsche dealerships are required to keep at least one on hand specifically for test drives, and I find that Porsche salesmen usually are not very pushy. I test-drove a Turbo S version 2-3 weeks ago (photo below; the car on the left is my Macan, for comparison of size), and it was a total blast -- more fun than my driving a Ferrari FF a year or two ago....

Ford Mustang Mach-E EPA Range for Porsche Taycan is 201 Miles TaycanTestDrive

Last edited:

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
@cometguy
As much as I would love to test drive a Taycan, they wouldn't give me the time of day if I rolled up to the dealership in my Outback.

As for the Taycan's EPA range, I think I figured it out. Here's my theory:

The Taycan has a two-speed gear box with the freeway gear kicking in at 60mph. Since the EPA freeway test is at 50mph, the Taycan is at the inefficient end of its slow gear. Thus, 201 miles of EPA range.

https://jalopnik.com/how-fuel-economy-is-measured-and-why-you-get-different-1716232721

cometguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Panamera 4 E-Hybrid Sport Turismo
Country flag
@cometguy
As much as I would love to test drive a Taycan, they wouldn't give me the time of day if I rolled up to the dealership in my Outback.

As for the Taycan's EPA range, I think I figured it out. Here's my theory:

The Taycan has a two-speed gear box with the freeway gear kicking in at 60mph. Since the EPA freeway test is at 50mph, the Taycan is at the inefficient end of its slow gear. Thus, 201 miles of EPA range.

https://jalopnik.com/how-fuel-economy-is-measured-and-why-you-get-different-1716232721
I first rolled up to a Porsche dealership in a 16-year-old Volvo wagon to test-drive a new Panamera -- no questions, no problem, no hassles. And I never bought from that dealership! Same with second, third, fourth, and fifth Porsche dealerships (in my Volvo) -- no problems with test-driving multiple vehicles over several months (though I eventually bought one from one of the other dealerships). I find that salesmen aren't judgemental that way, especially if you go in sounding somewhat informed about what it is you're asking to look at. (Now, driving up to a Ferrari dealership might be different, if you want to test-drive a GTC4Lusso. I went there in my Panamera :) )

Yes, others have also speculated on the 2-gear system as a potential issue.
Sponsored

Last edited: