Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Prem AWD, 2019 F150, ‘94 Vet, 1948 Willys
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
AWD Extended Battery. Outside temp around 40 degrees. Garage temp where charging happens 50-60 degree. Estimated Miles during a summer charge several times exceeded 300. As high as 318. Now 208 and 215. And it appears that the estimated miles may be 20% higher than I’m actually getting. When Ford quieted summer charging did it also cause cool weather charging to drop significantly? What’s 10 below zero going to look like? Yes I used climate controls a small amount, but really, a 100 mile swing. I’m scheduled for the dealer to look into this. Anyone else experiencing similar drops?
Sponsored

murphy62

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla S90D, 2021 Mach-E AWD ER
Occupation
retired
Country flag
AWD Extended Battery. Outside temp around 40 degrees. Garage temp where charging happens 50-60 degree. Estimated Miles during a summer charge several times exceeded 300. As high as 318. Now 208 and 215. And it appears that the estimated miles may be 20% higher than I’m actually getting. When Ford quieted summer charging did it also cause cool weather charging to drop significantly? What’s 10 below zero going to look like? Yes I used climate controls a small amount, but really, a 100 mile swing. I’m scheduled for the dealer to look into this. Anyone else experiencing similar drops?
The battery efficiency drops when the battery gets cold. The drop starts when it goes below 70 degrees F. My 2013 Ford Fusion Energi had a 21 mile battery range. In the middle of the winter that dropped to a 10 mile range. The Energi did not have a battery heater. The Mach-E does have a battery heater. Energy used to heat the battery and the cabin will not be available to propel the car. That is the reason for the recommendation to wear a warm coat and use the steering wheel and seat heater instead of the cabin heater. The estimated range comes from a complicated formula that includes the ambient temperature, how the car has previously been driven, and anything else that Ford thought might be appropriate. Precondition the car using wall power before you leave to minimize the range loss.

The car has a warm weather range of 270 miles. That does not mean you can drive it 270 miles. That would be like driving an ICE car until the gas tank was empty.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I'm waiting for someone to drive a route they drove this summer and see what their m/kWh is as compared to summer. We MAY head south in a few weeks with the Mach-E (or the F-150) and I plan to add ambient temp to each let's data sheet, then compare to this summer (suspect I can figure out historic temps pretty closely). We averaged around 2.9 at 73+, and a heavy foot, I hope winter with prewarming and less heavy of a foot, and judicious cabin temps, is no lower than 1.9, hopefully more like 2.2.

If you drive 600 miles in a day, with the 88kWh battery, it's hopefully only 1 more stop. Challenge is going through northern Ohio where there are no high speed chargers.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I'm waiting for someone to drive a route they drove this summer and see what their m/kWh is as compared to summer. We MAY head south in a few weeks with the Mach-E (or the F-150) and I plan to add ambient temp to each let's data sheet, then compare to this summer (suspect I can figure out historic temps pretty closely). We averaged around 2.9 at 73+, and a heavy foot, I hope winter with prewarming and less heavy of a foot, and judicious cabin temps, is no lower than 1.9, hopefully more like 2.2.

If you drive 600 miles in a day, with the 88kWh battery, it's hopefully only 1 more stop. Challenge is going through northern Ohio where there are no high speed chargers.
We've driven Denver-Vegas 3 times now (and again next week), and averaged 2.8 MPK on every trip (AWD ER). Most of that route is 75-80 MPH, with a little at 65 (mountains). One of those trips was April where the CO stretch averaged about 30F degrees (some parts down to 15F). Didn't seem to hurt efficiency as much as I expected it might. High speed had a bigger effect, especially over 75 MPH. You can really see the difference between 65 vs 75 vs 80.

But I have yet to drive it in really cold temps. The worst leg we've had was 2.1 MPK (cold, wet road, headwind, some elevation gain). The best was 3.5. 2.2-2.5 is common on some 80 MPH legs in Utah. But 3.0-3.3 during the 65 MPH mountain stretches in CO. And of course elevation gain/loss makes a huge difference too.

We don't compromise on anything when driving. Climate control always on automatic (71-72F). No heated seats or steering wheel (other than the first few minutes if it's cold).

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I’m scheduled for the dealer to look into this. Anyone else experiencing similar drops?
Don’t waste your time. There’s nothing wrong with your car. The dozens of threads discussing this behavior would suggest that others are experiencing similar drops.

Olds442

First Name
Olds
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 GT, '22 Premium Ex AWD
Occupation
sales
Country flag
that sounds about right.

OP
OP
Indy Mike

Indy Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The battery efficiency drops when the battery gets cold. The drop starts when it goes below 70 degrees F. My 2013 Ford Fusion Energi had a 21 mile battery range. In the middle of the winter that dropped to a 10 mile range. The Energi did not have a battery heater. The Mach-E does have a battery heater. Energy used to heat the battery and the cabin will not be available to propel the car. That is the reason for the recommendation to wear a warm coat and use the steering wheel and seat heater instead of the cabin heater. The estimated range comes from a complicated formula that includes the ambient temperature, how the car has previously been driven, and anything else that Ford thought might be appropriate. Precondition the car using wall power before you leave to minimize the range loss.

The car has a warm weather range of 270 miles. That does not mean you can drive it 270 miles. That would be like driving an ICE car until the gas tank was empty.
By Pre-warming do you mean simply leave it plugged in. My garage is warm enough that the cabin does not need warmed on most days even in winter. If more than keeping it plugged in, please detail. Thanks.

OH2AZ2OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 4X
Country flag
Many threads already on this. Mine is doing exactly the same. What is your *actual* efficiency for a drive that you take frequently? My drive to work is about 10 miles, and I get 2.8 - 3.0 mi/KWH with temps in the uppers 20s. That works out to 246-264 miles of range for my ER battery, but my estimated range is about 210 in those temps. In the summer, I would get 3.7 - 3.9 mi/kWH on that same drive. In fact, I *averaged* 3.9 mi/KWH for the first 2000 miles of driving. That should have been an estimated range of 343 miles (!!!) but the car almost always reported 305-310 estimated on a full charge.

Ford is making sure you don't get stranded and is being super conservative with your range estimate. Your car is ok. It looks like my car almost always "hides" about 35 miles of range.

The other thing you can do to convince yourself of this is to track how many miles you drive vs how many estimated miles you consume. I took a 25 mile drive yesterday, mostly highway, windy and cold. I "consumed" 23 miles of estimated range. A few weeks ago, my 10 mile drive home from work - after the sun came out and it warmed significantly- consumed 2 miles of range.

murphy62

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla S90D, 2021 Mach-E AWD ER
Occupation
retired
Country flag
By Pre-warming do you mean simply leave it plugged in. My garage is warm enough that the cabin does not need warmed on most days even in winter. If more than keeping it plugged in, please detail. Thanks.
Does your garage stay at 70° F?
It's the battery temperature that is important.
If the car is plugged in and you set a departure time the car will use wall power to condition the car and the battery so that it is ready at departure time. Based on previous experience with a 2013 Fusion Energi it would need to be connected to 240 volts. At 120 volts there is only 1440 watts available (120 volts times 12 amperes) to precondition the car. That doesn't work very well.

OP
OP
Indy Mike

Indy Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Does your garage stay at 70° F?
It's the battery temperature that is important.
If the car is plugged in and you set a departure time the car will use wall power to condition the car and the battery so that it is ready at departure time. Based on previous experience with a 2013 Fusion Energi it would need to be connected to 240 volts. At 120 volts there is only 1440 watts available (120 volts times 12 amperes) to precondition the car. That doesn't work very well.
Thanks. Not 70. But never freezes. On long trips, like Chicago or Indy, both about 100 miles it sounds like I need to se a departure time. Thanks.

DaMeatMan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Extended Range Battery
Country flag
For the love of God can an admin make a sticky post about cold weather range already?

This is getting ridiculous with several threads each week about exactly the same thing complaining about the GOM in colder weather.

No offense, but do people not read or even take the time to understand what it is they are buying when throwing down this much money on a vehicle?

It boggles my mind honestly. But for goodness sakes let's make a big flashing neon sticky on cold wether range please, and explain how the GOM works so these folks know what to expect!

MachE1977

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Tesla Model 3/ 2020 Mazda Miata Club
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
For the love of God can an admin make a sticky post about cold weather range already?

This is getting ridiculous with several threads each week about exactly the same thing complaining about the GOM in colder weather.

No offense, but do people not read or even take the time to understand what it is they are buying when throwing down this much money on a vehicle?

It boggles my mind honestly. But for goodness sakes let's make a big flashing neon sticky on cold wether range please, and explain how the GOM works so these folks know what to expect!
You really think everyone knows what they are buying when they purchase car?

According to this survey, 66% think EV's have gas engines.....

https://www.carscoops.com/2021/11/66-of-consumers-think-electric-vehicles-have-a-gas-engine/

Last edited:

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

I don't like moving as much when it is cold either ;)

I have seen 18 KWh/100 Km in the summer seen 31 KWh/km @ -15 oC. We just need to be able to charge the 88 KWh to 100% so it is useable as right now all we have is 70 KWh useable of our 100 KWh packs. Thought fore sure this would be fixed before the snow flies again but appear it is not. Our vehicles have plenty of battery we just can not use it. When you start multiplying your range by 0.6 cold weather has an impact.

One of the winter hints is not to use Hvac when you are DCFC. Go from 80 to 90% in -20 oC and sit there for over an hour with no heat. ? I will be using a couple of KW's to not freeze. Not looking for 140 KW over 80% as we only have 50 KW chargers up here anyway but 11 KW and running 2 KW to not freezes may take a while. 30 KW would be 3 times faster! Get it down to half an hour 80 to 90 would be appreciated.

OP
OP
Indy Mike

Indy Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

Please enlighten us on the GOM.

OP
OP
Indy Mike

Indy Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Many threads already on this. Mine is doing exactly the same. What is your *actual* efficiency for a drive that you take frequently? My drive to work is about 10 miles, and I get 2.8 - 3.0 mi/KWH with temps in the uppers 20s. That works out to 246-264 miles of range for my ER battery, but my estimated range is about 210 in those temps. In the summer, I would get 3.7 - 3.9 mi/kWH on that same drive. In fact, I *averaged* 3.9 mi/KWH for the first 2000 miles of driving. That should have been an estimated range of 343 miles (!!!) but the car almost always reported 305-310 estimated on a full charge.

Ford is making sure you don't get stranded and is being super conservative with your range estimate. Your car is ok. It looks like my car almost always "hides" about 35 miles of range.

The other thing you can do to convince yourself of this is to track how many miles you drive vs how many estimated miles you consume. I took a 25 mile drive yesterday, mostly highway, windy and cold. I "consumed" 23 miles of estimated range. A few weeks ago, my 10 mile drive home from work - after the sun came out and it warmed significantly- consumed 2 miles of range.
Thank you. I have started a Google sheet to track GOM and actual miles and ambient temp.
Sponsored