EuroNCAP assisted driving grading (of Ford Kuga)

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
It is interesting to look at Kuga (known as Escape in North America) result. I find the grading applies generally to a manufacturer (i.e. Ford). Therefore, I think it's worth sharing. We know that Mach E will be better than Kuga/Escape, but it's a good baseline.

Source: https://www.euroncap.com/en/ratings-rewards/assisted-driving-gradings/

This is my reading

* EuroNCAP dings Ford, Tesla, and Nissan for naming their systems as "CoPilot 360", "AutoPilot", and "ProPilot". In contrast, VW, BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Volvo have "assist" or "cruise control" in their names.
* Kuga's ACC and Collision Avoidance are both dinged for not responding well when approaching a stationery vehicle.
* Kuga's ACC failed to stay in lane when approaching an S curve at 75mph.
* Both Kuga and Model 3 are dinged for relying solely on steering input, with no driver-facing camera.
* Model 3 is dinged for not allowing cooperative use of ACC. Tesla resists and disengages when driver tries to steer during ACC. On other brands (including Ford), the system will oblige and re-engage.
* Model 3 is dinged for not having ACC status indicator within driver's line of sight (because Model 3 doesn't have instrument cluster).
Sponsored

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
This will always be the best pilot:
Ford Mustang Mach-E EuroNCAP assisted driving grading (of Ford Kuga) otto-the-autopilot-ed
a regret I have to this day is I bought the Airplane! DVD when it was released, and it had a mail-in "free Otto" offer... which I never took the few minutes to send in.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
While the driver assistance features are all well and good, I do hope the mach-e gets better protection than the marginal rating for the driver crash tests that the kuga / escape has which is just not good enough in this day n age :(.

Especially as the same c2 based mk2 focus has a worse case of adequate, the first mk4 focus test had a marginal for whiplash, so ford reworked the head restraint and the later tests now has that as good so lets hope that the mach-e has takes a similar lessons learned approach and that the differences in drivetrain of the mach-e results in much better driver protection than the new kuga / escape.

OP
OP
RyZt

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
While the driver assistance features are all well and good, I do hope the mach-e gets better protection than the marginal rating for the driver crash tests that the kuga / escape has which is just not good enough in this day n age :(.

Especially as the same c2 based mk2 focus has a worse case of adequate, the first mk4 focus test had a marginal for whiplash, so ford reworked the head restraint and the later tests now has that as good so lets hope that the mach-e has takes a similar lessons learned approach and that the differences in drivetrain of the mach-e results in much better driver protection than the new kuga / escape.
I expect safety to be much better. It would be a big big concern to me if it turns out otherwise. That being said, I don't think crash ratings will be available by the time mine is ready for delivery.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
a regret I have to this day is I bought the Airplane! DVD when it was released, and it had a mail-in "free Otto" offer... which I never took the few minutes to send in.
I saw multiple "this person reacted to your post with ?sad" notifications and thought, "oh my FSM I finally stepped over the line on something" but now I see it's just folks sharing sympathy.

also I went and got a pic just because.

Ford Mustang Mach-E EuroNCAP assisted driving grading (of Ford Kuga) 20201002_122446
Sponsored

Last edited: