Rabidsquirrel22

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Camaro SS, 2021 GTPE
Country flag
I was watching another Mach-E video by Bjorn and he pointed out that his test car has a heated front windscreen, as well as did a close-up showing the wiring on it. I saw a few people questioning whether or not this was true, so I wanted to post some proof. I'm really at a loss why Ford would not include this feature on the NA model too.
Ford Mustang Mach-E European Mach-E has heated front windshield confirmed 1614008098195
Sponsored

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I'm really at a loss why Ford would not include this feature on the NA model too.
Ford isn’t the only company to do this. For some reason, heated windshields are very common in Europe and are not usually an option in NA. But in a BEV a heated windshield makes a lot of sense so you don’t have to fire up the heat just to run the defrost.

OP
OP
Rabidsquirrel22

Rabidsquirrel22

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ford isn’t the only company to do this. For some reason, heated windshields are very common in Europe and are not usually an option in NA. But in a BEV a heated windshield makes a lot of sense so you don’t have to fire up the heat just to run the defrost.
Exactly what I was thinking. This seems like it would be an incredibly useful range saving feature for a large majority of people in the US who experience real winter conditions.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
Exactly what I was thinking. This seems like it would be an incredibly useful range saving feature for a large majority of people in the US who experience real winter conditions.
I'm willing to bet it comes down to some U.S. DoT law about forward vision obstruction. Those lines, while nearly invisible, probably break some regulation somewhere that states that the front windshield must be completely clear and free of any modifications or obstructions.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
I don't know if we damage windscreens here in the US more frequently than our European cousins, but those with embedded electric defrosters are much more expensive to replace. I've heard of replacement costs of a grand or more.

OP
OP
Rabidsquirrel22

Rabidsquirrel22

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm willing to bet it comes down to some U.S. DoT law about forward vision obstruction. Those lines, while nearly invisible, probably break some regulation somewhere that states that the front windshield must be completely clear and free of any modifications or obstructions.
I don't think so. My girlfriend's family has a Range Rover Evoque with a heated windshield that has lines just like this.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
No - there have been cars sold in the US with electrically-heated windshields. Ford, Land Rover, Toyota, maybe others.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
I don't think so. My girlfriend's family has a Range Rover Evoque with a heated windshield that has lines just like this.
No - there have been cars sold in the US with electrically-heated windshields. Ford, Land Rover, Toyota, maybe others.
Interesting - I've never seen it before on any car. I stand corrected.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
From Consumer Reports, two "disadvantages" of the front windshield heater elements are as follows:
" Heated windshield. These are still rare (seen on certain Jaguar, Land Rover, and Volvo models), but they can make clearing ice easier. One downside: The heating elements are made up of wavy lines across the windshield that can be distracting. Plus, we’ve found that these elements can block the signal of toll transponders such as E-ZPass. "

But honestly, it'd be easy to make a small clearing in the windshield that didn't have those elements in it, as an area to place a toll booth transponder.

Reactions: DBC

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
From Consumer Reports, two "disadvantages" of the front windshield heater elements are as follows:
" Heated windshield. These are still rare (seen on certain Jaguar, Land Rover, and Volvo models), but they can make clearing ice easier. One downside: The heating elements are made up of wavy lines across the windshield that can be distracting. Plus, we’ve found that these elements can block the signal of toll transponders such as E-ZPass. "

But honestly, it'd be easy to make a small clearing in the windshield that didn't have those elements in it, as an area to place a toll booth transponder.
When bemoaning to a ford rep over the lack of heated windscreen / shield on USA cars I was told it was tried on the explorer once and they got some complaints over the lines (there are also system that have no lines see VW).

I am not sure when it was trialed on the explorer but the lines in todays fords are really fine compared to the first Euro ford I owned which had that feature and seeing as that car was built in 1988 the fact these screens are still not widespread as an option on Fords in the USA is pathetic to me :( not only is it great in cold weather they are also very useful in foggy weather and it is not like the continental USA does not have that type of weather.

Tyldum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E First Edition
Country flag
After having it on two cars I am completely in love with it. Live in northern Norway, though, with winter 5 months of the year. Never having to scrape the windshield of ice I avoid scratches.

The threads are only visible the first few days, then you filter them out.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I don't know if we damage windscreens here in the US more frequently than our European cousins, but those with embedded electric defrosters are much more expensive to replace. I've heard of replacement costs of a grand or more.
This.

Sureshot125

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X Premium
Country flag
Are there any heating elements for the windshield wipers on the North American vehicles for people that have gotten their cars already?

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I actually was just wondering about this last night. I noticed this logo on the glass at the bottom next to the iRR, and wondered if that meant it had defrosters in it?

Ford Mustang Mach-E European Mach-E has heated front windshield confirmed 20210222_121116

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
When bemoaning to a ford rep over the lack of heated windscreen / shield on USA cars I was told it was tried on the explorer once and they got some complaints over the lines (there are also system that have no lines see VW).

I am not sure when it was trialed on the explorer but the lines in todays fords are really fine compared to the first Euro ford I owned which had that feature and seeing as that car was built in 1988 the fact these screens are still not widespread as an option on Fords in the USA is pathetic to me :( not only is it great in cold weather they are also very useful in foggy weather and it is not like the continental USA does not have that type of weather.
Get a million of your friends to be willing to pay $1000 more a year in insurance, and you will have electrically heated windshields tomorrow...
Sponsored