rohankumar

First Name
Rohan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
The federal government offers a tax credit for EV charger hardware and EV charger installation costs. It covers 30% of the costs with a maximum $1,000 credit for residents and $30,000 federal tax credit for commercial installs. However I can't find any evidence of this being valid past 12/31/21.
To cut a long story short i purchased my ChargePoint Home Flex charger in early December to take advantage of this federal credit. However due to the innumerable delays from Ford's side on the delivery of my vehicle I don't expect to see the car till the end of first quarter. As a result I never got it installed in my garage. Since I can't test out my EV charger I was thinking of returning it and rebuying it closer to my car delivery. Will I lose out on this 30% rebate however?
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
The equipment must be “placed in service” in order to qualify. I think you’re out of luck.

OP
OP
rohankumar

rohankumar

First Name
Rohan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
Thanks, so I am guessing there's a good chance this program won't extend for purchases and installs in 2022.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Thanks, so I am guessing there's a good chance this program won't extend for purchases and installs in 2022.
I don't think the current congress could agree on what color the sky is, so no it is probably not going to happen.

KZ6e1e

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
P4X
Country flag
The federal government offers a tax credit for EV charger hardware and EV charger installation costs. It covers 30% of the costs with a maximum $1,000 credit for residents and $30,000 federal tax credit for commercial installs. However I can't find any evidence of this being valid past 12/31/21.
To cut a long story short i purchased my ChargePoint Home Flex charger in early December to take advantage of this federal credit. However due to the innumerable delays from Ford's side on the delivery of my vehicle I don't expect to see the car till the end of first quarter. As a result I never got it installed in my garage. Since I can't test out my EV charger I was thinking of returning it and rebuying it closer to my car delivery. Will I lose out on this 30% rebate however?
But you can still claim the price of the ChargePoint Home Flex and get 30% off of that.
$200 aint too bad.

OP
OP
rohankumar

rohankumar

First Name
Rohan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
I don't think the current congress could agree on what color the sky is, so no it is probably not going to happen.
Agree, but I was hoping since this was just a continuation of the old program this would be easier to agree upon.

OP
OP
rohankumar

rohankumar

First Name
Rohan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
But you can still claim the price of the ChargePoint Home Flex and get 30% off of that.
$200 aint too bad.
I could do that but won't be able to test it out till well beyond the Amazon return date. That's why I wondering it should return and rebuy.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
$200 aint too bad.
No, wasn't placed in service.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Correct. It would be tax fraud to claim it.

KevinS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Job 1 2021 Mach-E (SR AWD)
Country flag
I could do that but won't be able to test it out till well beyond the Amazon return date. That's why I wondering it should return and rebuy.
I'd recommend that route so everything's proper. And you can always install it before the car actually arrives.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I would wait until the end of the return window. If the tax credit has not been extended, nor a new one taken its place, I would do the return, and then rebuy WHEN you're closer to delivery of the Mach-E. If a new law is passed, it's likely to be retroactive to 1/1/2022. However, it won't likely incorporate 2021 purchases. Your purchase in 2021 and an install in 2022 is unlikely to combine for tax credits.