Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Occupation
Mover of morons
Country flag
So I had an Ohme charger fitted when I moved into my new house in August. But it’s hopeless as it doesn’t communicate with my AWD MachE. Apparently Ohme doesn’t have the interface yet that allows it to communicate with Ford, so I plug my car in and it just charges away until I manually stop it. I want to change it for a charger that I know will communicate with my car and I’m after some recommendations.
Sponsored

portlandg

First Name
grahame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black RWD ER and loving it
Occupation
Cabinet maker
Country flag
So I had an Ohme charger fitted when I moved into my new house in August. But it’s hopeless as it doesn’t communicate with my AWD MachE. Apparently Ohme doesn’t have the interface yet that allows it to communicate with Ford, so I plug my car in and it just charges away until I manually stop it. I want to change it for a charger that I know will communicate with my car and I’m after some recommendations.
Not quite sure on what you mean by "not communicating" with your car. If you set your charging times in the car the car should shut off when it reaches required charge level and/or during set times. If you only had the Ohme box fitted in August then it should be a smart box so you can set it to charge at set times via an app. In both situations, the only reason either would need to communicate with each other is to start charging when you plug in, which, from what you say it seems that it is doing. I use the Ford supplied Variopower charger with the commando plug extension. That isn't "smart" so I control my charging via the car/FP app.

Womps

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E & 2021 Ford F-150 Lariat Super
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Make sure you are on the proper setting on your Ford App. If you are clicked on ”charge when plugged in” you will charge to 100% every time you plug in to your charger. You want to be on “use preferred charger settings”.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Ev Charger A52534AE-C921-4517-BB91-D74AE3D3518A

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If I could go back in time I would go with a dumb charger and saved a few bucks. I control my charging with the in-car controls. I have looked at the ChargePoint data a bit but have not really needed it. That may change sometime in the future but for now I do not need it.

Wonky_Donkey

First Name
Tony R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E RWD ER
Country flag
I’m like @portlandg - When I moved in to my new home I got a 32A commando plug installed and use the Ford charger in conjunction with in-car settings.

If I want to be a bit smarter or need to charge for longer periods due to a low battery, I let the Octopus Energy app take control of the charge session. The app uses half hourly time slots that tie in with their discounted overnight energy rates between 11:30pm and 5:30am rather than using the “on the hour” slots available in the in-car settings.

I have to say Intelligent Octopus has been a game changer for me now I can finally charge at home. It can be a bit weird when they randomly initiate charging in the middle of the afternoon due to excess capacity in the grid (you only get charged the overnight rate despite it charging at peak rate time)

Ford Mustang Mach-E Ev Charger 05578B85-1566-4B82-8AB7-B068D87D0DE2
Sponsored