mjs020294

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
The weather channel just did a piece on the issues with EVs for anyone evacuating hurricane Ian. If you get stuck in traffic or end up in a charging dead zone an EV could be a huge liability. For instance a few years ago tens of thousands of people evacuated towards Atlanta from the Tampa area. With a high volume of people evacuating the spaces at charging stations will be very limited. Then you have the issue of potentially out of service charging stations when you attempt to return after an hurricane.

Definitely something to think about.
Sponsored

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
The weather channel just did a piece on the issues with EVs for anyone evacuating hurricane Ian. If you get stuck in traffic or end up in a charging dead zone an EV could be a huge liability. For instance a few years ago tens of thousands of people evacuated towards Atlanta from the Tampa area. With a high volume of people evacuating the spaces at charging stations will be very limited. Then you have the issue of potentially out of service charging stations when you attempt to return after an hurricane.

Basically use zero energy when stuck in traffic if you can manage the climate control, I'd be concerned about distance and needing to charge (which are same concerns for needing to refuel when power is out), but other than that, it's not much different than an ICE vehicle.

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
Basically use zero energy when stuck in traffic if you can manage the climate control, I'd be concerned about distance and needing to charge (which are same concerns for needing to refuel when power is out), but other than that, it's not much different than an ICE vehicle.
Are you planning to evacuate? We had a flood of people pouring into Polk County trying to avoid Irma back in 2017.

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
Meh, probably top off the C10s 30 gallon tank and park the other cars in the middle of a parking lot about 8 miles inland. Travelling more than 40 miles inland is a bit overkill.

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
At least you can fully fuel your vehicle at home before the storm hits. From what I've seen on the news, getting gas right before a hurricane is a bit more challenging.
Went to three stations yesterday trying to find gas for my Truck!!!

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DMG GT; Taycan, Q7, Sienna Hybrid
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag

Very similar issues to an ICE, but yeah, def an element to consider in your evacuation plan. If being stuck in traffic on the way out is your primary concern, I'd totally rather be in an EV.

OP
OP

mjs020294

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Very similar issues to an ICE, but yeah, def an element to consider in your evacuation plan. If being stuck in traffic on the way out is your primary concern, I'd totally rather be in an EV.
The main issue is being in areas around the pan handle and maybe rural Georgia where there really isn't many charging stations. Back in 2017 some people went about 400-500 miles, so its a 1,000 round trip.

OP
OP

mjs020294

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Definitely!! Gas stations are NOT where I want to be right now! We will charge up the car tonight and then wait for the storm to hit.

The issue is a gas station has a limited supply of gas. If the number of customers increases by a small percentage the tanks empty quickly. The issue is everyone leaving it to the last minute to fill up. If people had started topping up their cars 3-4 days ago when we knew this was a possibility gas stations could have increased the daily deliveries. Once the storm gets really close the gas tankers will stop running for 24-48 hours which compounds the problem.

I actually sopped both out ICE cars off and filled multiple gas cans for our generator on Saturday.

MrMache

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Mach-e 2WD Extended
Country flag
I'm in South Florida and have evacuated North into GA/AL before. I've had issues getting gas on the way back due to no gas trucks running right before/during/after the storm. If I had to evacuate, I'd be at 100% when leaving and then charge at my bug-out destination via hotel charger. I do have the extended range, so I worry less than some, but you could always slow down to 65 on the highway to improve range if you were really concerned.

Timelessblur

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E AWD Premium Extend Range RR
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
At least you can fully fuel your vehicle at home before the storm hits. From what I've seen on the news, getting gas right before a hurricane is a bit more challenging.
Most of the time the range of the car provide enough to get clear any how. I know in the early 2000's when they were evacuating Houston people could not get gas and there was zero gas on the evacuation route. With things like say Hurricans you generally have a few days warning and then you just make sure the car is top up every night and have enough range to get to out of town and charge there.

I would use say the Houston Example again. People are going to leave Houston and have enough range to make to pretty close to Austin for Safety. This means they can get to SA farther north. Generally speaking in say Houston getting to the north side of the city is the main goal and at that point you are well over a 100 mile inland and safe.