SashaLondon

First Name
Sasha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME AWD SR
Country flag
I know that electric power stations are more efficient in terms of thermodynamic than Internal combustion engines. Power stations are about 50% - 60% and ICEs are about 20% - 40%.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Yes, but imagine if you drove an electric car those 18k miles - particularly if you charge from primarily renewable electricity?

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Yes but think of the toxic crap that goes into solar panels not to mention the Chinese slave labor that makes them.

My vote is for electricity generated with natural gas.
Right, because there is nothing toxic with mining gas, particularly from fracking. The "toxic materials" to make panels that last 20 years happens once, as opposed to the 20 years worth of ongoing pollution to mine that gas you want to turn in tens of thousands of pounds of CO2.

While I absolutely prefer to buy a non MIC item if it's available, I guess you don't buy anything made in china then?

c'mon, man

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
That was a fascinating video.
Here's the takeaway... It uses way more electricity just to GET the fuel to your car than it does to generate it and power a car directly. And it's talking orders of magnitude more.

So no matter what... supporting the use of fossil fuels is ALWAYS worse from an energy and pollution standpoint. Even before you get to burn it in your car.
Ford Mustang Mach-E EV or Gas, what pollutes more? 1616026315918

Ford Mustang Mach-E EV or Gas, what pollutes more? 1616026357489

Ford Mustang Mach-E EV or Gas, what pollutes more? 1616026444848

Ford Mustang Mach-E EV or Gas, what pollutes more? 1616026493515

I mean... you can't really argue any of this is better than driving an EV. Even if 100% of your power generated comes from coal.

OP
OP
silverelan

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
That was a fascinating video.
Here's the takeaway... It uses way more electricity just to GET the fuel to your car than it does to generate it and power a car directly. And it's talking orders of magnitude more.

So no matter what... supporting the use of fossil fuels is ALWAYS worse from an energy and pollution standpoint. Even before you get to burn it in your car.

I mean... you can't really argue any of this is better than driving an EV. Even if 100% of your power generated comes from coal.
Yeah, it's not even close.

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Yes but think of the toxic crap that goes into solar panels not to mention the Chinese slave labor that makes them.

My vote is for electricity generated with natural gas.
My panels were made in Canada.

I guarantee the benefit of solar panels far outweighs the cons.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I hate to be redundant: c'mon man

Driving an electric car is "relatively' the same experience as driving a gas car; I am 55 years old and am not going to ride a bike 100 miles to work 3 days a week. While you are absolutely correct about moving, it is much better to work from home as much as possible - which is why before the pandemic I only drove 3 days a week. Afterward I will probably drive my electric car only once or twice a week. As for moving, my wife's job is 2 miles away so any move I make will simply mean she has to drive further. I also am getting solar panels put in.

While I agree much of what each of us does is a small contribution, when multiplied by billions of humans those little changes add up.

OP
OP
silverelan

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
You don't buy a car to save the Earth.

But the criticisms of what goes into an EV both in terms of its production and the electricity to power it fall apart when compared to conventional gas cars.
Sponsored