Engineering
Country flag

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
Wow look at Grizzl-E at the top of the pack right underneath Tesla!
I am a very happy Grizzl-e owner (I have one outdoors, and one in the garage).

Article is right about the cost of electricity here in New England -- I'm not even sure its saving me any $ over an ICE car once you factor in pre-conditioning and other lost energy not related to driving. There are no TOU rates offered to residential customers by my utility provider.

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
Sooo... let's see a score reduction of 12 on a 1000 point scale is a decrease of... 1.2% ...aaaand what is the confidence interval of the study... cleverly not stated but likely 4-5%

The headline was probably not written by the author, but still...

Garbage journalism.

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
Despite owning their own charger, owners said their overall satisfaction with home charging had declined 12 points on a 1,000-point scale since last year’s study.
So, a 1.2% decrease is somehow indicative of something other than bad understanding of statistical analysis on the part of the pollsters and pundits?

superdave80

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Select SR RWD
Country flag
Despite owning their own charger, owners said their overall satisfaction with home charging had declined 12 points on a 1,000-point scale since last year’s study.
Soooo... a 1.2% drop? For a survey, is that even outside the margin of error?
Why? EV owners cited increasing electricity costs more than any other reason.
Everything is more expensive. Ask ICE drivers how much they like fuel prices the last two years. I GUARANTEE you will see a much higher than 1.2% drop in satisfaction.
Slow charging speeds were the second most common complaint.
I'm really unsure why charging speed would matter if you are filling up your car overnight.

"Dang it, my car finished charging at 4 a.m. instead of 3 a.m.!!!"

This is a terrible article.

Vulnox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat PB, 2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I believe the decrease is real simply because the reason stated is obvious and the real garbage part is taking the headline in a vacuum as most places will present it. People aren't unhappy with home charging, they are unhappy with increased energy costs. But that isn't exciting or click-bait worthy, so you say that EV owners aren't happy with home charging and get attention.

I absolutely believe that there are those with EVs that see increased electric bills and have concerns, I am not saying nobody is maybe a bit more discouraged, but it isn't the act of home charging that is their issue. Also I bet if those people went back to paying for gas they would quickly remember why a bit of electric cost is worth it. The time/value of not driving to a gas station alone covers it for me.

This just feels like those articles that blamed millennials for killing some restaurant or whatever, and leaving out the part where other age demographics were also not going there as much because they increased their prices and lowered quality. But that isn't as grabby of a headline.

AhardFSU

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
The “slow charging” issue is funny bc it’s like none of the people had any agency in understanding how fast or slow a vehicle they purchased with their own funds would charge while at home….be it on a level one or level charging device. Sheesh….give me a break.

glenthompson

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E GT Star White
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I wonder how many of the slow charging responses were using level 1 charging? When we had our Prius Prime, using the level 1 charger was a pain. My 40 amp Jukebox has been great. Can't wait until my solar system gets installed next month and my charging costs go way down.

OP
OP
HuntingPudel

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I wonder how many of the slow charging responses were using level 1 charging? When we had our Prius Prime, using the level 1 charger was a pain. My 40 amp Jukebox has been great. Can't wait until my solar system gets installed next month and my charging costs go way down.
Agreed. I hated L1 charging with my Fusion Energi. 32A 220V charging is WAY better. 😊🐩

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
I'm currently using L1 because we recently moved and I haven't installed my L2 yet. I have zero issues with L1 and am seriously considering if I should just sell the ChargePoint and stick with L1.

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
I lasted on lvl 1 charing something like 4 days. To charge a 23 kw pack.
I took a good look at my TOU plan yesterday and thought I was screwing myself for the last few years as somewhere along the lines my wife changed the plan from TOU EV to TOU. Reality is the EV plan forced me over to 11p-6a charging for just about 8 cents a KW. My not-EV TOU is 9pm to 6am for 8,.04 cents kw/h. Guess it's better that I move my charging window to 9pm. But I do still want a bigger charger. The Tesla L2 is actually a pretty decent unit for the cost. I shoulda grabbed one last year for $100 less.

Fixbear

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 SelectMachE4 SR , Mini SE
Occupation
retired, Construction Mechanic, Refrigeration tech, Ford, GMC, Chevy tech,
Country flag
It's just like politics. People that are die-hard ICE look to demonize EV's and offer up partial truths. Then their followers add falsehoods that they honestly believe with nothing to back it up. I've had non-EV owners tell me it cost more to fill my Mach-E than they pay for gas. I tell them my actual cost and they don't believe me. I walk away. They are hard set on what they have heard without confirming the facts. The old saying, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

RKinWA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E GTPE AWD Space White Metallic
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I used L1 charging for the first 2 weeks (granted I would stop at an EA station when I was below 60%), since I got the 14-50 installed my L2 32 amp charging has been good for my needs. Even if I were to get home late with a 15% charge and had to go somewhere in the morning, only getting about 4-6 hr charge, I would be able to add 80-130 miles of range. Still debating on Grizzl-e vs Emporia though.

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I'm currently using L1 because we recently moved and I haven't installed my L2 yet. I have zero issues with L1 and am seriously considering if I should just sell the ChargePoint and stick with L1.
You can stick with L1 but it is only 70% efficient vs 90% for L2 so quite a bit more wasteful. From a cost perspective not necessarily that much money unless you have a high energy rate but I would always go L2 if I had the option to do so. Also something to keep in mind if you are conservation minded.
Sponsored