EV sales tax exemption in NJ

shadowsjc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium AWD + Ext Range
Country flag
Might be obvious to anyone already in the market for an EV, but if you buy an EV and register it in the state of NJ, you are exempt from paying sales tax on the vehicle. This includes out of state purchases as well (since sales tax is paid in the jurisdiction where you ultimately register the car, not at the point of sale).

What this means is if you are looking to pick up an MME from a dealer lot (i.e. you didn't pre-order one), you can expand your search to include NY and CT dealers as well. You will probably have to jump through hoops to educate the dealer on the NJ tax laws, but it should work (I did this a few days ago at an out of state dealer).
Sponsored

SAM

First Name
SAM
Threads
Reaction score
A little bit of a mystical kingdom, like Camelot
Vehicles
Premium MME4X Iconic Silver
Country flag
Might be obvious to anyone already in the market for an EV, but if you buy an EV and register it in the state of NJ, you are exempt from paying sales tax on the vehicle. This includes out of state purchases as well (since sales tax is paid in the jurisdiction where you ultimately register the car, not at the point of sale).

What this means is if you are looking to pick up an MME from a dealer lot (i.e. you didn't pre-order one), you can expand your search to include NY and CT dealers as well. You will probably have to jump through hoops to educate the dealer on the NJ tax laws, but it should work (I did this a few days ago at an out of state dealer).
But what about getting another $5K out of the state of NJ by keeping it under $55K and waiting 'till July when the new rebate will likely go live? Probably have to purchase in-state for that, though.

OP
OP
shadowsjc

shadowsjc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium AWD + Ext Range
Country flag
But what about getting another $5K out of the state of NJ by keeping it under $55K and waiting 'till July when the new rebate will likely go live? Probably have to purchase in-state for that, though.
Well to get it under $55k, you'd have to sacrifice either AWD or ER. I personally think both are important to have (especially here in the northeast), but if you're willing to part with one of them then I agree it makes sense to wait until the summer.

SoriceConsulting

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sorice.com
Vehicles
2023 GTPE, Rapid Red
Occupation
IT Consultant
Country flag
Well to get it under $55k, you'd have to sacrifice either AWD or ER. I personally think both are important to have (especially here in the northeast), but if you're willing to part with one of them then I agree it makes sense to wait until the summer.
I ordered my Premium AWD Extended Range and chose (actually preferred) Space White, which is a stock color. If you go with AWD ER and any stock colors you'll come out to $54,700, just under the cap (Note: the $1,100 in Destination/Delivery does not count towards the $55k cap).

That configuration saves you the sales tax (about $3,600 or so) plus you'd get the $5,000 taken off at point of purchase (in July, assuming they leave the incentive at that level). Factor in the $7,500 Federal deduction and you're saving some serious money...

SoriceConsulting

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sorice.com
Vehicles
2023 GTPE, Rapid Red
Occupation
IT Consultant
Country flag
Plus, the Biden Administration is now mentioning adding more EV 'incentives' with the new Infrastructure, etc. bills, so we may save even more...

SAM

First Name
SAM
Threads
Reaction score
A little bit of a mystical kingdom, like Camelot
Vehicles
Premium MME4X Iconic Silver
Country flag
I ordered my Premium AWD Extended Range and chose (actually preferred) Space White, which is a stock color. If you go with AWD ER and any stock colors you'll come out to $54,700, just under the cap (Note: the $1,100 in Destination/Delivery does not count towards the $55k cap).

That configuration saves you the sales tax (about $3,600 or so) plus you'd get the $5,000 taken off at point of purchase (in July, assuming they leave the incentive at that level). Factor in the $7,500 Federal deduction and you're saving some serious money...
Same here. I ordered a Premium 4X but I choose Iconic Silver. All you're really giving up is a premium paint color and I won't give up a potential $5K rebate for paint.
Sponsored