RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GT Delivered 9/9/22, GT500
Occupation
Sausage Maker
Country flag
I was able to enter my vehicle info and get the tax benefit. It asked for the written contract date before 16 August 2022. That stressed me out. I thought the tax benefit was straight forward as long as you delivered before 31 Dec.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
That form is obviously half-baked. They’ll fix it eventually.

SuperRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Space White Premium Ext AWD
Country flag
I was able to enter my vehicle info and get the tax benefit. It asked for the written contract date before 16 August 2022. That stressed me out. I thought the tax benefit was straight forward as long as you delivered before 31 Dec.
I answered no. I still got the $7500.

My refund before was ~$700. Now it's only around $6700, and I doubt my total tax was less than $7500. But TurboTax has been weird about calculating the refund this year. We'll finish up our other stuff and true it up.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
It likely asks because that would matter if the car wasn’t manufactured in North America.

Phil-Springs

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E CA RT1 AWD Extended DMG 2022
Country flag
Purchased mine on 22 Aug. answered everything honest and accurate and turbo tax gave me the 7500 refund. It also has a charger refund working too

acosmichippo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Select Dark Matter Gray
Country flag
TT should know that based on the VIN.
i could be wrong, but i don’t think TT knows anything about the VIN. it still asks you for stuff like the make, kwh, and weight of the car. pretty sure they only ask for the vin to put in the form for the IRS to look up.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
i could be wrong, but i don’t think TT knows anything about the VIN. it still asks you for stuff like the make, kwh, and weight of the car. pretty sure they only ask for the vin to put in the form for the IRS to look up.
Does it ask where the car was assembled? If not, it would have to be getting that from the VIN to see if it qualifies.

SuperRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Space White Premium Ext AWD
Country flag
I put the VIN in wrong at first and it rejected it. So it does know something about the VIN.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
That form is obviously half-baked. They’ll fix it eventually.

My refund before was ~$700. Now it's only around $6700, and I doubt my total tax was less than $7500. But TurboTax has been weird about calculating the refund this year. We'll finish up our other stuff and true it up.
TT should know that based on the VIN.
TurboTax states very clearly on their website that the forms, 8936 and 8911, are ready on 1/26/23. Yet people got all excited on a major update that just happened, and showed the forms. Look at form 8936 in forms view and you will see in big red letters, DO NOT FILE.

I strongly suggest people simply wait a week. TurboTax doesn't calculate right until things are finalized, and they state these two forms aren't ready until 1/26/23.

OP
OP

Shelbeast

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sausage Maker
Country flag

yeah, same. owed 2500 and now get 5K. Mine was mostly done except mortgage info.

OP
OP

Shelbeast

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sausage Maker
Country flag
TurboTax states very clearly on their website that the forms, 8936 and 8911, are ready on 1/26/23. Yet people got all excited on a major update that just happened, and showed the forms. Look at form 8936 in forms view and you will see in big red letters, DO NOT FILE.

I strongly suggest people simply wait a week. TurboTax doesn't calculate right until things are finalized, and they state these two forms aren't ready until 1/26/23.
I'll wait a week to confirm. I have never ever had to file a form in the history of using TT. Good thing they guarantee accuracy.
Sponsored