EV tax credit counting toward capital gains?

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
I agree that persons should seek tax advice outside of the forum but the tax code is unreadable. As a retired accountant with 48 years experience I would myself not report it.

At worst the gain is a like-kind exchange and gain is rolled into the basis of the replacement car.
This is what happens when you retireā€¦ā€¦. They change the laws. šŸ˜‰

No like kind exchanges on automobiles after 2018. But that was for ā€œbusiness useā€ anyways and wouldnā€™t apply to the OP.

ā€œUnder the old law you could exchange a building for another building or exchange a vehicle for another vehicle (assuming all property is business-use or investment-use property). Under the TCJA, only real estate exchanges are eligible to take advantage of the like-kind exchange rules.ā€

https://www.jmco.com/articles/real-estate/like-kind-exchanges-under-tcja-2018/
Sponsored

woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Chevy Bolt
Country flag
Purchasers pay taxes (eg sales taxes) on purchases. Businesses selling things have business licenses, sales tax licenses, etc.
Private individual sales of used items do not involve taxes. Private sales (almost always) do not involve selling for profit.
Businesses buying/selling things, like used cars, for profit collect sales taxes and pay income taxes on profit.
Countless private sales of used vehicles and other items yearly. Doubt any private sale from individual to individual has sales taxes collected or sale reported as income.
Also doubt that any government agency would even consider trying to track these unrecorded private transactions.
A tax credit is just that- a credit. Doubt that the government is a revoker(better terms no longer permitted) when it comes to tax credits.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3, IX50
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I agree that persons should seek tax advice outside of the forum but the tax code is unreadable.

As a retired accountant with 48 years experience I would myself not report it.
Not only is it sometimes unreadable many times itā€™s not logical.

I am also a retired accountable with 45 years of experience. Most people probably wouldnā€™t report it, doesnā€™t make it right.

my personal opinion is that if people did the right thing, everyoneā€™s taxes would be lower, I know most people feel the government would just waste the money

but yes you are right people should seek appropriate tax advice from a professional.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I agree that persons should seek tax advice outside of the forum but the tax code is unreadable.

As a retired accountant with 48 years experience I would myself not report it.
Not only is it sometimes unreadable many times itā€™s not logical.

I am also a retired accountable with 45 years of experience. Most people probably wouldnā€™t report it, doesnā€™t make it right.

my personal opinion is that if people did the right thing, everyoneā€™s taxes would be lower, I know most people feel the government would just waste the money

but yes you are right people should seek appropriate tax advice from a professional.
That a gain on selling a vehicle is a capital gain is correct.
Whether the tax credit reduces the cost basis and increases the gain is the only uncertainty.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This is what happens when you retireā€¦ā€¦. They change the laws. šŸ˜‰

No like kind exchanges on automobiles after 2018. But that was for ā€œbusiness useā€ anyways and wouldnā€™t apply to the OP.

ā€œUnder the old law you could exchange a building for another building or exchange a vehicle for another vehicle (assuming all property is business-use or investment-use property). Under the TCJA, only real estate exchanges are eligible to take advantage of the like-kind exchange rules.ā€

https://www.jmco.com/articles/real-estate/like-kind-exchanges-under-tcja-2018/
Thatā€™s why I donā€™t give tax advice anymore and recommend reading new laws as they do change all the time.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Whether the tax credit reduces the cost basis and increases the gain is the only uncertainty.
In this case I donā€™t think there is uncertainty, my opinion but people will do what they do.

full disclosure , I do not stay up to date on everything, especially this, so people should consult professionals but many people do their own returns and donā€™t want to or have the means to spend hundreds of dollars to get the right answer.

itā€™s a shame things arenā€™t more clear on many tax issues. The IRS has publications that can be very helpful but not on everything.

also when I say read the code, make sure itā€™s the code applicable to when your transaction happened, not after the law changed. Not that easy when you donā€™t have access To the proper services.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Purchasers pay taxes (eg sales taxes) on purchases. Businesses selling things have business licenses, sales tax licenses, etc.
Private individual sales of used items do not involve taxes. Private sales (almost always) do not involve selling for profit.
Businesses buying/selling things, like used cars, for profit collect sales taxes and pay income taxes on profit.
Countless private sales of used vehicles and other items yearly. Doubt any private sale from individual to individual has sales taxes collected or sale reported as income.
Also doubt that any government agency would even consider trying to track these unrecorded private transactions.
A tax credit is just that- a credit. Doubt that the government is a revoker(better terms no longer permitted) when it comes to tax credits.
Not sure how it works in other states, but in Florida they collect sales tax on private sales when you register the vehicle.

The transactions are recorded at our DMV.

And the government agency that checks all this stuff? The IRS.

The entire tax system is the ā€œhonor systemā€¦.ā€ until you get AUDITED!

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
See post #7. It does.

Shelbeast

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GT Delivered 9/9/22, GT500
Occupation
Sausage Maker
Country flag
Why is Turbo Tax taking so long to upload 2022 form for EV tax benefit? Did they have it up for 2021?

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Why is Turbo Tax taking so long to upload 2022 form for EV tax benefit? Did they have it up for 2021?
Probably because the rules changed.

Different set of rules started on Aug 2022. IRS guidance didnā€™t come out until Jan 2023 (list of qualifying cars).

Shelbeast

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sausage Maker
Country flag
Probably because the rules changed.

Different set of rules started on Aug 2022. IRS guidance didnā€™t come out until Jan 2023 (list of qualifying cars).
Can you share the new rules? Sorry if missed them on another post.

dmastro

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium AWD (ordered), 2018 Tesla M3
Country flag
There is typically so much misinformation on the forums, but well done MachEForum, you've outdone yourselves here.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Many forms are not available at the beginning of tax season. Happens all the time.

just takes time after new law changes.

Shelbeast

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sausage Maker
Country flag
Many forms are not available at the beginning of tax season. Happens all the time.

just takes time after new law changes.
I'm confused. The Tax laws for 2022 were known in early 2022 for 2022 (the whole if you buy in his quarter, you get the benefit) You're saying after being told the laws in early 2022, they are going to change in 2023 (retro 2022)?

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I'm confused. The Tax laws for 2022 were known in early 2022 for 2022. You're saying after being told the laws in early 2022, the are going to change in 2023?
Since the new law was effective in august there may be nuances that need to change on the form.

In the past, tax rates for example of capital gains changed in mid year, so gains before a certain date were taxed at one rate and gains after a certain date changed to another rate.

forms need to change based on law changes and in this case we know the law changed mid year. So the form may have to reflect that.

also tax software companies have to submit their versions to the IRS to get them approved. Many times forms are just not available by the software companies this early.
Sponsored