goose123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME Premium Ex RWD
Occupation
Software Engineer
Quote from a transcript of the Q3 2022 earnings call from 2 days ago:
Ford EVs and our PHEVs remain eligible for the $7,500 tax credit until guidance is issued at the end of this year. Next year, we believe we’ll meet the $3,750 critical minerals credit requirement on certain Mustang Mach-E and F-150 Lightning models. In ’24, the rules will further restrict this critical materials credit. So, we believe it’s a fairly level playing field right now for all the OEMs as our supply chain of critical minerals extracted or processed in the US and FTA develops.
I understand this means:
  1. Anything delivered/picked up/sales order signed until December 31st, 2022 gets the full $7,500
  2. Anything sold starting on January 1st, 2023 (at least for now) will only receive $3,750 tax credit. I think it's important to say that he said "we believe" which doesn't certify it, after all, he's just talking to investors.
Sponsored

J40MME

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyber Orange Premium SR AWD (Scheduled: 12/19/22)
Country flag
I thought the critical mineral requirement was the harder portion to meet, so I wonder if this means they believe they’ll meet criteria for all $7500.

FirstPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 AWD ER Prem red/black, '22 Kia Sorento PHEV
Country flag
I thought the critical mineral requirement was the harder portion to meet, so I wonder if this means they believe they’ll meet criteria for all $7500.
That seems closer to what he meant.

The MME would get $3750 at minimum in 2023 anyway, because they are built and assembled in Mexico.

The other available $3750 is the materials source ratio requirement. He is saying they feel like "some" of their vehicles will meet that next year... but he doesn't specify *when* next year. Basically, this portion of the credit is a question mark but Ford is saying it might be in play.

Tax credit for an MME in 2023 will be $3750 minimum, $7500 maximum, and we don't know which number it might be and when.

FirstPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 AWD ER Prem red/black, '22 Kia Sorento PHEV
Country flag
$0 minimum. Buyers with high enough incomes get no tax credit next year.
Right. Sorry, I forgot to include the income aspect, which effects the entire possible $7500. Was just trying to separate the materials ratio from the sourcing country portion. Income arches over all of that.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Right. Sorry, I forgot to include the income aspect, which effects the entire possible $7500. Was just trying to separate the materials ratio from the sourcing country portion. Income arches over all of that.
It’s not just income. Most Lightning ERs will exceed the $80K maximum MSRP.

franzn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
To be delivered 2022 Mach-e GTPE
Country flag
That seems closer to what he meant.

The MME would get $3750 at minimum in 2023 anyway, because they are built and assembled in Mexico.

The other available $3750 is the materials source ratio requirement. He is saying they feel like "some" of their vehicles will meet that next year... but he doesn't specify *when* next year. Basically, this portion of the credit is a question mark but Ford is saying it might be in play.

Tax credit for an MME in 2023 will be $3750 minimum, $7500 maximum, and we don't know which number it might be and when.
Half is based on battery minerals sourcing, half is based on battery components sourcing. Needs to be a certain percent from USA or a country we have a free trade agreement. That's for the actual money portions but to be able to qualify for either of those the vehicle also has to be manufactured in North America. Price caps also apply of course.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Half is based on battery minerals sourcing, half is based on battery components sourcing. Needs to be a certain percent from USA or a country we have a free trade agreement. That's for the actual money portions but to be able to qualify for either of those the vehicle also has to be manufactured in North America. Price caps also apply of course.
This.

There is no such thing as a $3750 credit for being assembled in NA.

Both halves are based on the battery.

https://pluginamerica.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/09/2022-09-07-PIA-IRA-webinar-for-publishing.pdf

kindofblue

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mach e Premium 11/5/22, '23 BMW i4 40
Occupation
Psychologist & developer of digital tools for alcohol misuse
Country flag
We will have to wait until the Treasury Dept (IRS) comes out with its timelines and stipulations w/respect to the issues of the battery credit.

kindofblue

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Oh, well that's interesting. Thanks for clarifying.
That's not what I've read of the actual bill that's passed. I think this is in error and they don't provide any source for that statement.

$7,500 credit split into two equal parts which have different eligibility requirements:
○ Critical minerals ($3,750)
○ Battery components ($3,750)

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
That's not what I've read of the actual bill that's passed. I think this is in error and they don't provide any source for that statement.

$7,500 credit split into two equal parts which have different eligibility requirements:
○ Critical minerals ($3,750)
○ Battery components ($3,750)
Which part of that do you think is an error?

kindofblue

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Which part of that do you think is an error?
What I read was that $3.75k was for being built in North America (which includes Mexico) and the other half about the battery sourcing. And the IRS has yet to provide guidelines about the batteries. I'd bet a dollar to a hole in a donut that those guidelines will be phased in slowly and probably not starting until later next year to give companies time to build out battery factories.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
What I read was that $3.75k was for being built in North America (which includes Mexico) and the other half about the battery sourcing.
Go back and read the bill again. That’s not what it says.

The vehicle needs to be built in North America to qualify at all. Then half the credit is based on where battery components are assembled and the other half is based on mineral sourcing.

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MME delivered May '23 + '22 Lightning July '22
Occupation
Network Tech
Country flag
Go back and read the bill again. That’s not what it says.

The vehicle needs to be built in North America to qualify at all. Then half the credit is based on where battery components are assembled and the other half is based on mineral sourcing.
This part is correct - I spoke to VW iD4 owners and they said current 2022 iD4 vehicles on the lot, if sold after the IRA was signed will not get the $7500 due to manufacturing in Europe.

Apparently VW is moving production to the US to comply and qualify for the manufacturing credit.

Just don't know how DOT/IRS will interpret the mineral / battery assembly part.....
Sponsored