Even the FOB isn't perfect

mpshizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 4X
Country flag
It turns out the even the FOB isn't 100% first try, every time!

I've recently had Bluetooth issues with my car, which has resulted in the dealer ordering a new APIM. As part of the diagnostic process the dealer did a master reset which deleted my Paak.

I had been using PAAK almost exclusively, but since the APIM is getting replaced, I just decided to go fob for a while rather than setting up the app again while I wait for the part to come in.

As I've used it I noticed it doesn't always work right away. There's been a few times that I've had to sit there and push the button 3 or 4 times before the door opens. I've even had the "no key detected" message, because the key was in the passenger seat.

All this to say, even the FOB isn't as perfect as I made it out to be myself. PAAK for me is still not quite as reliable as the FOB. But it's not as far off as I originally thought
Sponsored

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Now we must all go to Ford and demand they bring back physical keys!!! Not just any keys, I want two sets of two different keys.. two for the ignition and two for the locks!

stlippert

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Red AWD ER
Country flag
Now we must all go to Ford and demand they bring back physical keys!!! Not just any keys, I want two sets of two different keys.. two for the ignition and two for the locks!
Not this MME owner!

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag

I've recently had Bluetooth issues with my car, which has resulted in the dealer ordering a new APIM. As part of the diagnostic process the dealer did a master reset which deleted my Paak.

I had been using PAAK almost exclusively, but since the APIM is getting replaced, I just decided to go fob for a while rather than setting up the app again while I wait for the part to come in.

As I've used it I noticed it doesn't always work right away. There's been a few times that I've had to sit there and push the button 3 or 4 times before the door opens. I've even had the "no key detected" message, because the key was in the passenger seat.

All this to say, even the FOB isn't as perfect as I made it out to be myself. PAAK for me is still not quite as reliable as the FOB. But it's not as far off as I originally thought
Your battery may be low. I had a similar problem with one of my 3 fobs. When I popped in a new battery it worked much better.

I literally can't remember the last time my fob didn't work the first time every time. Actually functions much better than my Focus Electric because the rear compartment sometimes wouldn't pop on the first try but the Mach-E has been much more consistent.

The fob is one of the many things on this car that works perfectly.
In the whole scope of things, there are just a few quirky items in a sea of features that have problems. Most everything else functions exceptionally well when you think about it.

Benny’66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1966 Mustang, 2021 Mach E GTPE
Occupation
Plant Manager
Country flag
He ha. My ‘66 has three. Ignition, door locks and trunk lock.

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
My FOB works 100% of the time. Strange that a new FOB would need a battery replacement, but that is the first thing to try.
I don't think lock cylinders in the doors would be compatible with the push button system. And the push buttons are great, all cars should have those from now on.

I think they could have put a lock cylinder on the trunk hatch, and then instead of blank inside the FOB, it could have contained a key cut for the trunk. I'd rather have immediate access to the car in a 12V battery dead situation then go through the steps to jump the frunk open and then jump the 12V to get the doors open.

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
My 2016 GTI doesn't have a perfect track record using the FOB either. It's RF frequencies. Sometimes there's interference, often a lot, within the band that cause the signal to be wonky.

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
I say we all have Bruce Willis on speed dial to come and twist 2 wires together for us.

ThomF

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e
Occupation
Engineer-historian
Country flag
I have been having an occasional problem when I have my FOB in my jacket. I push the door open button and don't get a response. The other day, when it didn't respond, I pushed 'door lock' and then I was able to push the door open button, which worked. But today nothing.

The FOB continues to unlock the vehicle, at which time I'm allowed to push the door open button. But isn't the vehicle supposed to recognize that I have a FOB on my person and allow me to push the door open button?

It recognizes the presence of the FOB when I walk up to the car--the tail lights come on briefly, etc. But not the door button light.
Sponsored