Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Charger, Explorer, Chevelle, Mach E
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
On a recent business trip to Phoenix, Avis upgraded me to a Tesla Model 3. As a MachE owner that had never driven a Tesla, I was excited to drive one for a few days. But with the hassles of living out of a hotel (that didn't have onsite charging), I'm not sure I'd do it again. And if it had been my wife, my dad or my in-laws, I know that "upgrade" would have been a disaster.

I don't think EVs are to the point of surprise rental car upgrades for most people. Especially Tesla's which have everything in their center screen. I had to Google how to adjust mirrors, how to shut off the car, how to lock the door, how superchargers work, etc...
Sponsored

kdonnel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 CA Route 1, 2020 Bolt EV
Country flag
I think a surprise EV rental would be a horrible first exposure to EVs.

Even as a multiyear EV owner I am reluctant to rent an EV.

I know where the chargers are and which ones work on the routes I normally road trip.

But I have no idea how well chargers work in areas I normally arrive by plane.

i8iridium

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
U.S. Air Force
Country flag
Every time I go to Phoenix I rent a Tesla, really just to torture myself. lol But honestly, depending on where you're staying there's a lot of SuperChargers, so it's not bad even for a first time user. Hertz sends out a lot of emails with how-to's and whatnot.

OP
OP
New2EV

New2EV

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Every time I go to Phoenix I rent a Tesla, really just to torture myself. lol But honestly, depending on where you're staying there's a lot of SuperChargers, so it's not bad even for a first time user. Hertz sends out a lot of emails with how-to's and whatnot.
Overall it wasn't a bad experience for me, I was able to supercharge just fine...and had I known, I may have stayed at a hotel with a charger. But for someone completely unfamiliar with EVs, I think a surprise upgrade could be a disaster. And AVIS doesn't do anything to make it easier. They point you to Tesla's website with a list of 9 different videos to watch. The agent wasn't able to answer any questions.

OP
OP
New2EV

New2EV

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
How do you pay for the Supercharger session? Does Tesla charge Avis and Avis charges you?
Yes. Plus an "administration fee" of a couple percent for providing that service. Charging from 25% to full ran about $20.

GreaseMonkey

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
You can always decline a complimentary upgrade. For me personally, most business trips I take don’t require traveling too many miles to warrant charging the vehicle, so I’d welcome the upgrade. I typically ask for a Prius at Avis if one is available.

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
I have done it in Chicago and agree it was tough. I own an EV a MME but rented a Tesla Model Y. I had to plan just like I drove to Chicago and learn about Tesla simultaneously. I probably won't repeat and our rental policy changed so the EV would not be allowed anymore. Too costly

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Typically when I/we go on vacation I try to rent something that I might want to own in the future (or something fun--it is vacation after all. Don't ask about the time we rented a Mustang Convertible and I found out my driver's license had expired--when picking up the car.)

To that end, back in 2018 I Turo'd a Bolt (Turo = AirBnB for cars) when we went to San Francisco. I knew that CA was quite EV friendly but really didn't do a lot of research for where to charge or anything until we got there. It was no issue, just used Plugshare to find DCFC and really enjoyed the Bolt. Ended up picking one up a few months later.

Granted that wasn't a "surprise upgrade" and I had planned on renting it. As mentioned earlier you can always decline the upgrade.

Since I'm all about posting pics, here is our Turo'd Bolt:
Ford Mustang Mach-E EV's as rental cars DSC_0204

I really liked that blue but, sadly, my dealer couldn't find one when it came time for us to get one.

MailGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt Premier, Mini Cooper SE, Mustang Mach E FE
Country flag
I was offered an EV upgrade recently when I travelled to Chicago. Really wanted to take it, but given I was in the midwest and going to put on some serious miles I declined. Infra just was not there to support my needs. And I am spoiled by always charging at home.

Really wanted to support the transition but just couldn’t yet.

kellstd

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E, 2011 Infiniti G37 convertible
Country flag
Yup, and you can return it with something like 75% remaining as well. I think they only charge you if it's below 20%.
I rented a Bolt EV from Hertz in Tampa and the local agency was not aligned with that policy. I charged it back to the level (85%) at which they gave it to me, but they tried to charge me $35 for charging. I disputed it with Hertz on-line and they refunded me the $35.

Deleted member 16048

I agree that a surprise rental isn't the best idea at all. There is a learning curve with Teslas for sure, other EVs not as much of one, but still a bit.

As an owner, I have no problem with the learning curve. (Since I bought an EV.) I think rental car companies need to do a little run down on everything someone should know before they drive off with one. Hertz in Orlando (MCO) had someone there talking to each person who rented a Tesla to go over how it all works before they drive off. Since I have driven several before, I knew what I was doing already and so he just said, you're good to go. Even said it would be cool if they had any Mach Es. (As I told him that's the one I own.)

Part of the move to EVs is the learning curve, and I think rental car companies need to play a major role in teaching things out if they really do want to use them as vehicles.

wareagle1440

First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Mini Countryman & 2021 Mach E Ex.R. AWD
Occupation
Civil Plaintiff's Attorney
Country flag
I rented a Bolt EV from Hertz in Tampa and the local agency was not aligned with that policy. I charged it back to the level (85%) at which they gave it to me, but they tried to charge me $35 for charging. I disputed it with Hertz on-line and they refunded me the $35.
I rented a polestar in Minneapolis recently and the local counter had a different return policy versus what was in the contract. They wanted it back at 80% and the contract said 75% and yeah it was an absurd amount to charge it. Minneapolis was not an awesome place for fast charging but had plenty of level 2 chargers and one was one block from my bed and breakfast so it worked out great and only cost me about $6.00
Sponsored