John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1st car: 1966 Mustang, 2021 Mach-E X Premium
Occupation
Retired Master Certified Heavy Truck Technician
Country flag
I retired from Pinellas County Florida 10 years ago in April 2023. My employee newsletter article amazed me on how they are trying to fight emissions..

The Traffic Signals Division recently deployed three new Ford F550 bucket trucks equipped with the ALTEC Jobsite Energy Management System (JEMS). This system uses lithium-ion batteries instead of the truck engine to power vehicle climate control and the bucket and boom assembly, significantly reducing the fuel usage of the truck and associated carbon dioxide emissions. In FY22, three additional JEMS-equipped trucks were ordered, but supply chain issues delayed delivery until later in FY23. These trucks also promise to deliver significant savings in carbon emissions.

The new trucks in service replaced three diesel-fueled units that idled 16,361 hours over their 8 year lives to provide boom power and climate control to traffic signal crews. Worksite operation of these trucks is estimated to have burned over 6,500 gallons of diesel fuel resulting in over 73 tons of CO2 emissions. Similar savings are possible upon delivery and deployment of the three trucks on order. However, these carbon emission savings are contingent upon an adequate supply of electricity.

When the County achieves its light vehicle fleet electrification goals, the load on the electric grid to recharge over 600 vehicles is equivalent to that of four average sized residential subdivisions. Fleet Management is currently partnering with Duke Energy, a national engineering firm, and the Facility Management Division to assure adequate grid capacity and site electric service is in place when needed to recharge electric vehicles entering County service. These are indeed exciting times as one of the greatest technological transitions in modern history takes place right here in Pinellas County.
Sponsored