EVSE without garage or carport

physib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Are there solutions for that? For what it's worth, I'm not sure if I can mount one on the outside wall either.
Sponsored

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
There are several outdoor rated EVSEs. We use one at work. It just has to be installed properly.

jimbobiii

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue ER AWD MME, Model 3
Country flag
Are there solutions for that? For what it's worth, I'm not sure if I can mount one on the outside wall either.
we use a Tesla model 3 wall charger for our Model 3 and a Tesla tap to adapt for the MME. the Tesla chargers are rated for outdoor usage

LagerHead

Banned
Banned
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Ford F-150, 2018 Tesla Model 3 & 2 Ducati M/C
Occupation
Test Dummy
Country flag
You can mount them on a riser so you can place them at the edge of a driveway or other parking spot. Underground conduit is inexpensive so put it where it's the most convenient.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Both Clippercreek and Grizzl-e EVSEs are suitable for outdoor use as an example. With a little bit of work, you could make them even more weather resistant should you desire.

There are a lot more than those though.

MattG

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, Crosstrek, Lotus Elise, Jeep Wrangler LJ
Country flag
Here’s my current outdoor charging solution, a Grizzl-E mounted to a ChaseStation post (disclaimer - I’m a partial owner of ChaseStation). I’m going to swap the Grizzl-E for a hardwired Chargepoint Flex soon though for a cleaner look.

Ford Mustang Mach-E EVSE without garage or carport 1616681138527

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Here’s my current outdoor charging solution, a Grizzl-E mounted to a ChaseStation post (disclaimer - I’m a partial owner of ChaseStation). I’m going to swap the Grizzl-E for a hardwired Chargepoint Flex soon though for a cleaner look.

Ford Mustang Mach-E EVSE without garage or carport 1616681138527
that's purty

I like that there's an extra 120 on the post! It makes sense to say "well if I'm running the wire and doing all this stuff anyway I might as well put an outlet there, too!" minimal incremental cost, solid benefits.

LagerHead

Banned
Banned
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Ford F-150, 2018 Tesla Model 3 & 2 Ducati M/C
Occupation
Test Dummy
Country flag
OP
OP
physib

physib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
OK this might be a dumb follow up question but... For something like the pole mount, who installs the pole? I assume the electrician runs the underground conduit, but does he also take care of the other parts?

MattG

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, Crosstrek, Lotus Elise, Jeep Wrangler LJ
Country flag
OK this might be a dumb follow up question but... For something like the pole mount, who installs the pole? I assume the electrician runs the underground conduit, but does he also take care of the other parts?
The electrician can do it. if the conduit is being buried and run up inside the post as in the photo I showed, they need to ensure it’s buried deep enough (and gets inspected) to pass code, before pouring the cement (so they’ll want to be the ones to pour the cement to ensure the conduit is still in the right place). You could save some money by digging the post hole and conduit trench yourself, or pay them to do it. Once the concrete is in place, actually installing the post and the other parts is easy.

In the example I showed, the electrician did 100% of the work, though I got the sense they weren’t too excited about having to dig the hole themselves.

Dark Matter GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Country flag
Here is my setup. Don't even have my car yet, but the unit is outdoor rated so it should be find. Was going to put a dual plug unit on a post at the end of the driveway, but the charge point is very compact and stores the cord on itself. Saves a lot of space.

IMG_20210921_121739_01.jpg

67 Stang Convertible

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1967 Mustang, 2013 Kia Optima, 2018 Kia Sportage
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
If you don't have access to a garage, you can still charge an electric vehicle at home as long as you have access to electricity and a designated parking spot.
Yes, Most if not all of EV chargers are rated to be "outdoor".

67 Stang Convertible

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1967 Mustang, 2013 Kia Optima, 2018 Kia Sportage
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
Here is my setup. Don't even have my car yet, but the unit is outdoor rated so it should be find. Was going to put a dual plug unit on a post at the end of the driveway, but the charge point is very compact and stores the cord on itself. Saves a lot of space.

IMG_20210921_121739_01.jpg
Good to see I was not the only one to buy the charger before the car LOL!!! My wife thought I was nuts until I explained the Gov't 30% rebate for that year (2020). Hope you get to enjoy the car soon!!!

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
I have a Grizzl-e that I will be mounting on an outside wall of my house (no garage or car port). I do plan to build a little roof/awning over it to keep off the worst of the snow. Mainly to reduce how much I need to clean to get to the cord in the winter.