benboy12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
The number one thing the average person would be concerned about with the Tesla is service/support. Me personally, I might have bought a Tesla by now BUT the closest location I can even go see one is 6 hours away. Closest service center ... 6 hours away. I'm not dropping 60 grand sight unseen on a car that I have no idea where I'm going to get service at.

Also i filled out their form online to "test drive" one two weeks ago. Must have that routing straight to their email trash because I didn't get so much as a confirmation of request received.

If Ford can get anywhere close to what Telsa is offering in specs, they will 1000% blow Tesla away in a few years due to this. The majority of people aren't going to just straight up order a 60k car with those restrictions.
How would a test drive work if you are 6 hours away? I don’t live anywhere near a showroom, but I do have a service center near by. Does a service center typically have models to test drive?
Sponsored

Stickboy46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tesla Model 3 AWD LR
Country flag
How would a test drive work if you are 6 hours away? I don’t live anywhere near a showroom, but I do have a service center near by. Does a service center typically have models to test drive?
I can't tell you how it would work because it apparently doesn't work. They never contacted me.

Stickboy46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If you are on the coasts, Tesla seems fine. Center of the country? not so much. We do have a supercharger here, so I fit within that first stat. So I can charge the car, I just can't see it before i drop 60k.

s7davis

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Alfa Romeo
Country flag
you can always rent one for a day see how it goes. Also you have I think 100 mile grace period I believe on every Tesla. I think it wa 3 days/100 miles to return the car full refund except for deposit.

Stickboy46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
you can always rent one for a day see how it goes. Also you have I think 100 mile grace period I believe on every Tesla. I think it wa 3 days/100 miles to return the car full refund except for deposit.
I don't see either of those as acceptable.

I don't believe I can rent a Tesla in my area either. Nor should that be the only way to see it. I sure am not setting up financing for a 60k car in order to do a 3 day trial.

Right now this is the biggest flaw with Tesla for a big chunk of the US

Stickboy46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm not in a rural area at all. I live in a large City. Tesla just has next to nothing in the center of the US.

And yet again.. you shouldn't have to pay to rent a car in order to see what you are buying for 60 freaking thousand dollars.

Edit: just looked and nope... Only one Tesla for rent in my area and it's a model S. So not helpful if looking at a 3. Also 300 bucks a day... Nope

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I'm not in a rural area at all. I live in a large City. Tesla just has next to nothing in the center of the US.

And yet again.. you shouldn't have to pay to rent a car in order to see what you are buying for 60 freaking thousand dollars.

Edit: just looked and nope... Only one Tesla for rent in my area and it's a model S. So not helpful if looking at a 3. Also 300 bucks a day... Nope
@Stickboy46 , you are the exact target audience for the Mustang Mach-E.

My FIL lives in an intermountain west state with no Tesla service center or gallery for hundreds of miles. Bought a Model 3 anyways and loves that thing. Surprisingly, Tesla has two techs based in his city and they can do anything to the car except battery swaps. They rent a garage and can use its lift to get under the car but usually they just do house calls.

Tesla's mobile service is actually a huge selling point to me and I wish my local Ford dealer had such a thing. I really don't want to drive across town for routine stuff.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
I think you are using SC differently than Stickboy46 ... He probably means Service Center and you assumed Super Charger....

I know I have a Super Charger within 50 miles, but my nearest Service Center is over a couple of hours away....

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I think you are using SC differently than Stickboy46 ... He probably means Service Center and you assumed Super Charger....

I know I have a Super Charger within 50 miles, but my nearest Service Center is over a couple of hours away....
It can be a bit confusing between the two, that's for sure. I've seen SC used for Service Center and SuC for Superchargers on the forums.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I think Tesla's CEO has even said as much. They see a direct correlation to proximity to a SC and having Superchargers around. Seattle is losing a SC this year but the area is gaining a couple. Sucks if you're downtown and want to take your car in, but with new SCs just to the north and south, it should make it easier for folks out there.

Ford dealers are pretty abundant but it's a bit of a crapshoot if their location is convenient to you. Like I said, it'd be pretty amazing if Ford dealers had mobile service techs.

Stickboy46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Depends on how you define chunk .. you are correct. Tesla has the coasts covered .. not so much the middle of the US.

And you are right, they don't HAVE to do anything different because it's working ... for now ... At some point they will have to expand their footprint or they will plateau.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
The engineer said that Ford was being conservative with the range and that the Mach-E's performance was basically scary fast (enough so that guys who drove GT350s were intimidated).

If 270 & 300 miles are the stated range for AWD and RWD, respectively, what do you think the actual EPA will be? Will the EPA range be on-target, low or high compared to real world?
Sponsored