Exciting thought for an American who ordered a premium.

Redundant

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X-Space White, 1 Ford Flex, 2 Ford Escapes
Country flag
If there are 50k total Mach-Es in the first years production and 60% are going to Europe, that leaves 20k total Mach-e for the US Of A. If 30% are GTs as Ford said, that leaves 14k. If, and this is a guess, 10% order the select, then for a while, before spring, I am going to be one of only 12,600 in the entire country driving a Mach-e as I am getting a premium model and will only be sharing the road with other premiums and 1st editions. Wow. That will be fun. I’ll feel special.
Sponsored

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
So here is a thought: I keep seeing 60% are going to Europe, they will only be building 50k units, and the reservations are nearly full.

I don't see how they are limiting 60% to Europe unless they somehow manipulated the reservation system, but that would mean one region would "sell out" completely if we're almost already at full for the full 50k (er if you're following all this logic).

Its my contention that the 60% is just a guesstimate and they will go wherever someone reserved one (thus if there are 35k reservations in the US then 35k of the 50k of the model year will be going to US which negates the whole "60% going to Europe" logic).

Granted: Not all reservations will be turned into orders (and then deliveries) allowing Ford to fudge a little...

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
And with 6-10% First Editions and 60% of those in Europe, my FE will be one of 1,200-2,000 in the US!

FredT

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Passat Wagon
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
So here is a thought: I keep seeing 60% are going to Europe, they will only be building 50k units, and the reservations are nearly full.

I don't see how they are limiting 60% to Europe unless they somehow manipulated the reservation system, but that would mean one region would "sell out" completely if we're almost already at full for the full 50k (er if you're following all this logic).

Its my contention that the 60% is just a guesstimate and they will go wherever someone reserved one (thus if there are 35k reservations in the US then 35k of the 50k of the model year will be going to US which negates the whole "60% going to Europe" logic).

Granted: Not all reservations will be turned into orders (and then deliveries) allowing Ford to fudge a little...
I would be very surprised if they backed off of 60% to Europe. Ford is looking at a huge fine for not meeting the new EU efficiency regulations, so I think they are committed to sending 30,000 cars.

symos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lotus Esprit
I would be very surprised if they backed off of 60% to Europe. Ford is looking at a huge fine for not meeting the new EU efficiency regulations, so I think they are committed to sending 30,000 cars.
@JamieGeek is right though, this does beg the question of how they're going to achieve it.
If they already have (almost) 50K reservations and most of them are from the US, how are they going to stick to the 60/40 split?

Are they going to tell these US customers that they're not getting their car until after September 2021 even though they reserved one of the first 50 thousand? This would create huge frustration and would really be shooting themselves in the foot.

I, for one, wouldn't mind since I'm from the EU and it would mean I'd get my car sooner, but I still think it would be a really, really bad strategy for Ford.

Petter

First Name
Petter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Transit (2017), Mustang Mach-E, FE (2021)
Occupation
Media manager/editor
Country flag
I, for one, wouldn't mind since I'm from the EU and it would mean I'd get my car sooner, but I still think it would be a really, really bad strategy for Ford.
Better with a bad strategy (if that's what it is) than to pay millions of dollars in fines.

KT-PNW

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07’ Mustang, 65’ Mustang, YZF R3
Country flag
Are they going to tell these US customers that they're not getting their car until after September 2021 even though they reserved one of the first 50 thousand? This would create huge frustration and would really be shooting themselves in the foot.
Maybe they’re counting on a decent number of people cancelling their orders and they’ll be able to redistribute the cars based off that number in the summer. Otherwise, guess my 2021 reservation just got upgraded to the 2022 model? Sigh.

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
They would just have to build more. Not waiting till end of 21. there will be more choices by then.

Sweetwater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Country flag
Reservation--Reservation ?? Of the 50K just what is the total going to Europeeee ??
Are we saying Europe has more reservations ? I do not believe they have more than USA.
Why dwell on the 60% they do not have the reservations. And just what is it Ford must
do ? 60% of each model or 60% of EV manufactured by Ford ?

mamejunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Mach-E '21, Premium Mach-E '22
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Why dwell on the 60% they do not have the reservations.
+1

Even if they had that much reservations, I wouldn't expect the first 30k of the 50k to go there. Makes more sense that lets say production is 1k a week, 600 goes to EU and 400 to US.

Sweetwater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Country flag
Assuming this production volume, around 30,000 vehicles would be delivered to the EU and around 20,000 cars would remain in the USA with the 60 per cent share mentioned above. However, there is no confirmation from the manufacturer for these figures. It is also unclear how the vehicles will be allocated to the individual markets. While Ford is based in the US, which would ease delivery logistics, the EU’s more strict environmental regulations are seemingly pushing Ford to prioritise the European market.

States "no confirmation" yet that they must do 60%.

OP
OP
Redundant

Redundant

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X-Space White, 1 Ford Flex, 2 Ford Escapes
Country flag
+1

Even if they had that much reservations, I wouldn't expect the first 30k of the 50k to go there. Makes more sense that lets say production is 1k a week, 600 goes to EU and 400 to US.
I do think that is the way they would do it. Not all Europe first then US.

Sweetwater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Country flag
I looked up GM and didn't see anything like this. Oh well time will tell.
They say "No news is good news" that's BS !!:confused:

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
There does seem to be an overall trend towards most EV releases go to EU or China and may or may not come to the US at all. I guess the overseas market for EV is just more robust for whatever reason. I think that little be little the EV demand in the US is creeping up though. Again, I predict that 2021 calendar year will be the turning point.

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag
Reservation--Reservation ?? Of the 50K just what is the total going to Europeeee ??
Are we saying Europe has more reservations ? I do not believe they have more than USA.
Why dwell on the 60% they do not have the reservations.
I think the reason people are dwelling on it is that Ford has said it would allocate 60% of first year production to Europe. As recently as 3 days ago, Electrek is still reporting that's Ford's plan. I think whether US has more reservations than EU is irrelevant. Ford isn't allocating 60% because EU has 60% of reservations -- they're doing it to avoid millions in fines for non-compliance.
This means Ford will send 60% of production to the EU even if they have fewer reservations. Ford likely hopes they can sell from the lots once EU deliveries start. And even if 10,000 units sit in lots, it's still better than paying millions in fines.
Sponsored