Exoshield Windshield Protection - The good and the bad

SpacePony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e Preimum AWD Ext. Battery
Country flag
So after I had my car's front protective film installed (XPel PPF on the entire leading edge, grille, lights, partial hood and fenders, and mirrors, as well as a strip under the back hatch to protect the loading lip), and ceramic coating on top of that, I must have been seen as a mark, and they sold me on an Exoshield windshield protector. The idea being that it's several thin layers of plastic which protect your windshield from rock chips. Oh, and they upsell you on warranty coverage so if your windshield DOES get damaged, they'll cover the cost of replacement AND install a new Exoshield on it. I'd managed avoid getting any damage so far (mostly because I'd been working at home, but that's now changing), so I thought I'd take a chance on it, and had them install it last week. As a midwesterner, every vehicle I've had gets pits and cracks at random times from semis on interstate. If you make it 3 years without a replacement, you're pretty lucky. I was less worried about the cost of windshield replacement than I was with just the inconvenience and of having to redo all the ADAS realignment stuff.

The Good
  • It's basically invisible from the outside. And they did a fantastic job installing it, you can't see the edges.
  • They say it's optically clear but also provides some UV protection. I couldn't find a claim of that on the site, but the installer claimed it.
  • It's coated in a way that kind of makes it act like Rain-X
The Bad
  • Everything I've read says they only last about 2 years, or up to 4 if you manage to care for them perfectly
  • I've read that If you use your wipers with dirt and grit, it can scratch them, so they say to try and keep your wipers clean.
  • While it's clear, it's not without distortion. when looking at the edges of objects or sign lettering, you can see parallel ripples running through the entire windshield at about 20° off horizontal. It's more noticeable in the day, but not really at all at night. I've had two other people drive it, and then asked them afterward, neither of them noticed it. So it must not be too bad, but once you see it...you can't unsee it.

The REALLY GOOD (so far)

I've taken two rocks to the windshield this week. One was small, but the other was quite large (1/2-3/4 diameter based on the split second I saw it) and made a HUGE crack noise when it hit the windshield. You know the sound...the one that fills you with dread as you look up and see a huge fissue, and maybe cracks emanating out from it. Now, I can't say how bad the damage *would* have been without the film, but it definitely would have been a pit; small, large, or worse. There was a pit on the film, and I wasn't sure if it'd gotten to the windshield too, so I dug out a pin and lifted it up to see that there was ZERO damage to the underlying windshield. Color me impressed!

Impression so far: I was skeptical, and the price isn't cheap, but it's certainly less than a windshield replacement. It seems to be doing its job so far, and prevented what would have at least been a pit. The optical distortion is there, and while I don't love it, I *personally* haven't had too hard of a time getting past it. The peace of mind of not picking up pits while driving across KS is what sold me on it, so If it makes it 2 years without any windshield damage, then when it comes time to replace it, I'll likely re-up with a new one.

exoshield-pit.jpg
Sponsored

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
The Good
  • It's basically invisible from the outside. And they did a fantastic job installing it, you can't see the edges.
  • They say it's optically clear but also provides some UV protection. I couldn't find a claim of that on the site, but the installer claimed it.
The Bad
  • Everything I've read says they only last about 2 years, or up to 4 if you manage to care for them perfectly
  • I've read that If you use your wipers with dirt and grit, it can scratch them, so they say to try and keep your wipers clean.
  • While it's clear, it's not without distortion. when looking at the edges of objects or sign lettering, you can see parallel ripples running through the entire windshield at about 20° off horizontal. It's more noticeable in the day, but not really at all at night. I've had two other people drive it, and then asked them afterward, neither of them noticed it. So it must not be too bad, but once you see it...you can't unsee it.
  • While it's clear, it's not without distortion.

I had ClearPlex put on my windshield and it's similar to looking out a window with tint, just without the actual tint. It's 99% clear with that 1% for the film. It's well worth it, in NJ rocks flying at the windshield are a common occurrence. I commute on the highway and it's dodge ball.

OP
OP
SpacePony

SpacePony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e Preimum AWD Ext. Battery
Country flag
I had ClearPlex put on my windshield and it's similar to looking out a window with tint, just without the actual tint. It's 99% clear with that 1% for the film. It's well worth it, in NJ rocks flying at the windshield are a common occurrence. I commute on the highway and it's dodge ball.
I'm not familiar with ClearPlex, and in fact the ExoShield was the first time I'd heard of a film like this. So perhaps I'll do more research when this layer needs to be replaced, but regardless ANY protective layer is better than none.

I can say my front side window tint film isn't nearly as thick as this EXOshield, but are completely undetectable (no ripples). I *wish* the front windshield was that clear :-/ But regardless ANY protective layer is better than none.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
So after I had my car's front protective film installed (XPel PPF on the entire leading edge, grille, lights, partial hood and fenders, and mirrors, as well as a strip under the back hatch to protect the loading lip), and ceramic coating on top of that, I must have been seen as a mark, and they sold me on an Exoshield windshield protector. The idea being that it's several thin layers of plastic which protect your windshield from rock chips. Oh, and they upsell you on warranty coverage so if your windshield DOES get damaged, they'll cover the cost of replacement AND install a new Exoshield on it. I'd managed avoid getting any damage so far (mostly because I'd been working at home, but that's now changing), so I thought I'd take a chance on it, and had them install it last week. As a midwesterner, every vehicle I've had gets pits and cracks at random times from semis on interstate. If you make it 3 years without a replacement, you're pretty lucky. I was less worried about the cost of windshield replacement than I was with just the inconvenience and of having to redo all the ADAS realignment stuff.

The Good
The Bad

The REALLY GOOD (so far)
I've taken two rocks to the windshield this week. One was small, but the other was quite large (1/2-3/4 diameter based on the split second I saw it) and made a HUGE crack noise when it hit the windshield. You know the sound...the one that fills you with dread as you look up and see a huge fissue, and maybe cracks emanating out from it. Now, I can't say how bad the damage *would* have been without the film, but it definitely would have been a pit; small, large, or worse. There was a pit on the film, and I wasn't sure if it'd gotten to the windshield too, so I dug out a pin and lifted it up to see that there was ZERO damage to the underlying windshield. Color me impressed!

Impression so far: I was skeptical, and the price isn't cheap, but it's certainly less than a windshield replacement. It seems to be doing its job so far, and prevented what would have at least been a pit. The optical distortion is there, and while I don't love it, I *personally* haven't had too hard of a time getting past it. The peace of mind of not picking up pits while driving across KS is what sold me on it, so If it makes it 2 years without any windshield damage, then when it comes time to replace it, I'll likely re-up with a new one.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Exoshield Windshield Protection - The good and the bad exoshield-pit
Thanks for the review. :)

JGinLA

First Name
J G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tahoe, Camaro, Colorado
Occupation
Retired
New ExoShield yesterday- drove home, went from daylight to darkness. Only complaint is rainbow colors appearing in daylight when I looked at the sky. It wasn't rainbows, it was caused by my polarized sunglasses. Looking at the road I didn't see it.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I was skeptical, and the price isn't cheap, but it's certainly less than a windshield replacement.
How much?

I pay $70 a year for full glass replacement on my insurance. If you paid more than $350 (5 years of insurance cost), I'd call that crazy. Of course most companies do free crack repair, hoping to not have to pay for a windshield.

Last edited:

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I just keep thinking of windshield tear-offs. ?‍♂??

krazieboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
Country flag
I considered it, but it cost wayyyy too much. I'll just settle for lower comprehensive insurance to cover any glass replacements.
Sponsored