Expanding the Electrify America and Electrify Canada Networks for the future of eMobility

CHeil402

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
I agree at a holistic level with you. They certainly need to fill in and should prioritize the charging holes across the country. I can however also see from EA's perspective that even if there is a charging hole it makes less business sense to build there if there is likely only a small amount of car traffic, especially if there isn't sufficient infrastructure to support 350 kW charging rates. Compare that to holes between PA and the Jersey beaches that I would like to see added that get a ton of car traffic in the summer and have ample infrastructure to support it.

Personally I'd rather they do the PA Turnpike before Cheyenne and Salt Lake as I am very unlikely to use them living in PA. I'm sure that's the case for everyone. They'd rather see them built close to home than across the country. But they're needed everywhere if they plan on making EV's as convenient as an ICE road trip.
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Compare that to holes between PA and the Jersey beaches that I would like to see added that get a ton of car traffic in the summer and have ample infrastructure to support it.
Definitely issues there. In January 2020 NJ announced a deal with Tesla to have Tesla put in extra power for new CCS chargers at rest stops on the Turnpike where Tesla was already adding superchargers. NJ also announced that the AC expressway and garden state parkway would be getting CCS chargers. Unfortunately, with the dumpster fire of 2020 those plans seem to be in limbo, although I have seen where Tesla put in their additional chargers at the Richard Stockton stop near exit 7A.

S.B.

First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I think we could all agree with the great need for more DC/FC’s in a lot of places across the country, and that was my point with the picture of Tesla’s 8 superchargers vs well, essentially 0 fast chargers in that one prime location. Rome wasn’t built in a day and Tesla has been at it a lot longer. Somehow, the infrastructure needs to be built rather quickly, however, if other EV’s are ever going to be accepted by the general population. People do not want to go out of their way and/or wait forever to charge. It doesn’t have to be only EA, but to me they are at least a good contender right now. In reading some comments with Sandy Munro’s video today, it seems that even with the excitement that Ford caused with this EV, without an infrastructure in place, people aren’t interested right now. I personally want more people onboard with EV’s as I’m hoping more demand will push this along quicker. (I feel like it’s a catch 22.) I would love to have access to fast chargers on all the routes for the distant places which I travel—especially on my summer day trips. Is that really too much to ask?

Last edited:

S.B.

First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Definition of Rhetorical Question
A rhetorical question is asked just for effect, or to lay emphasis on some point being discussed, when no real answer is expected. A rhetorical question may have an obvious answer, but the questioner asks it to lay emphasis to the point. In literature, a rhetorical question is self-evident, and used for style as an impressive persuasive device.

CHeil402

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
Ford Mustang Mach-E Expanding the Electrify America and Electrify Canada Networks for the future of eMobility 1620074389907

While I can likely make the round trip from King of Prussia, PA to Wildwood Crest, NJ on one charge (222 miles round trip), the issue is if I go for the week and plan on driving anywhere while I'm there there's only one Blink 50 kW charger (currently broken) within a reasonable distance in Stone Harbor. For the amount of car traffic in that void the lack of a viable fast charging option is not ideal for EV's.
Sponsored