RVAtom

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I recently took my F-150 into the dealership to check on what I thought was going to be an expensive transmission issue. The truck really seems like it just doesn't have hardly any power/pep once you are out of first gear. Luckily, they don't think it is a transmission issue.

Unfortunately, they do think it is a catalytic converter issue. With the truck running at idle, the engine reported being at almost 100% load. When they disconnected the exhaust and ran it, the engine reported being at a more normal idle load. They said it would be $3300 to fix. YIKES!

This is on a truck I was planning on trading in for my Mustang Mach E sometime in the next 6 months. So now I have to decide if I should do a repair that would equate to roughly half the value of the truck at trade in (hopefully) and hope the service department doesn't really talk to the sales department to tell them there is a major issue with the truck.

I have only ever done private sale before when changing vehicles, but wouldn't want to sell something I know to have a major issue in that way. I don't mind unloading it on the dealership really. What are the chances they, or a place like Carmax would notice this issue if I don't get it fixed?
Sponsored

mark360

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 AWD(OLD), Ford Raptor
Occupation
Manufacturing
Country flag
I recently took my F-150 into the dealership to check on what I thought was going to be an expensive transmission issue. The truck really seems like it just doesn't have hardly any power/pep once you are out of first gear. Luckily, they don't think it is a transmission issue.

Unfortunately, they do think it is a catalytic converter issue. With the truck running at idle, the engine reported being at almost 100% load. When they disconnected the exhaust and ran it, the engine reported being at a more normal idle load. They said it would be $3300 to fix. YIKES!

This is on a truck I was planning on trading in for my Mustang Mach E sometime in the next 6 months. So now I have to decide if I should do a repair that would equate to roughly half the value of the truck at trade in (hopefully) and hope the service department doesn't really talk to the sales department to tell them there is a major issue with the truck.

I have only ever done private sale before when changing vehicles, but wouldn't want to sell something I know to have a major issue in that way. I don't mind unloading it on the dealership really. What are the chances they, or a place like Carmax would notice this issue if I don't get it fixed?
First of all, the dealership will charge you 2x the actual price you should pay to get parts and repairs done. They also tend to not diagnose the problem down to the failure point of a particular system and instead just say you need a new catalytic converter in this case.

Find a local shop that can do the repair, a catalytic converter is not that difficult of a job. But, I'd be willing to bet that it is just an O2 sensor in the catalytic converter which would be MUCH cheaper to replace. Find a honest shop that will tell you the real problem with your vehicle.

Please, be ethical about selling your truck. It doesn't matter who you sell to, don't let your problem become their problem. Explain what is wrong with the truck and maybe someone who knows how easy a fix this is will pay you near what it is worth already.

OP
OP
RVAtom

RVAtom

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Find a local shop that can do the repair, a catalytic converter is not that difficult of a job. But, I'd be willing to bet that it is just an O2 sensor in the catalytic converter which would be MUCH cheaper to replace. Find a honest shop that will tell you the real problem with your vehicle.
Yeah, I have been having some really bad luck with mechanics lately. I had a great one that did a great job shopping around for parts to get a good deal for me, but they are so busy it is almost literally impossible to get them on the phone.

The shop I replaced them with burned me a couple times in a row, stripping my oil drain plug, and then some other kinda shady interactions where I don't know that they were really doing right by me. This was the first time I went to the dealership. I guess I might need to try again at shop #2. At least they answer the phone when I call.

SyNRG

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Explorer Sport & 2021 MME Select (SR) RWD
Occupation
Healthcare Data Analysis
Country flag
$3300 is way too much, I'd shop around with several independent shops. Or if you're not a member on any of the F150 forums, join one to get some assistance. You may run into a DIYer that has the tools etc to help out.

With Carmax, it's 50/50 but my past experience with selling to them, they will take your vehicle on a test drive, thus they may notice it's lacking power.

Good luck!

OP
OP
RVAtom

RVAtom

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Sorry to bump up such an old thread, but I have a new development in my truck. I am getting cylinder misfires in #1 right now, so it is at the shop getting the ignition coils tested, and possibly plugs/wires to get that all back to good shape.

They mentioned cleaning the catalytic converter once in the past. Does anyone know anything about that? It feels like it might be made of unicorn tears, but I wanted a more thoughtful opinion if anyone has one. I could probably still call them this morning and ask them to do that today while the truck is there. What should that cost roughly? A couple hundred? Less than $400?
Sponsored