Experience with ChargePoint J1772 6.6kw public chargers?

OP
OP
Mirak

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
limit your stay at any charger to 2 hours, don't be a charger hog !
I don’t know anything about charger etiquette. Is this 2hr thing an unspoken rule? Does it depend on whether this is retail versus residential / office space?

Seems to me the Golden Rule should apply. Here’s the way I would want to be treated:
  1. If a charger is restricted to patrons of a particular business, respect that.
  2. If a charger is in a high turnover retail locations, don’t squat there for more than an hour or two even if you need longer to reach a full charge (the time to eat a meal or watch a movie as applicable).
  3. If a charger is in a residential or office area, park for as long as you need to reach your desired charge, but don’t squat there at a full charge.
Am I off base?
Sponsored

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
I don’t know anything about charger etiquette. Is this 2hr thing an unspoken rule? Does it depend on whether this is retail versus residential / office space?

Seems to me the Golden Rule should apply. Here’s the way I would want to be treated:
  1. If a charger is restricted to patrons of a particular business, respect that.
  2. If a charger is in a high turnover retail locations, don’t squat there for more than an hour or two even if you need it (the time to eat a meal or watch a movie as applicable).
  3. If a charger is in a residential or office area, park for as long as you need the juice, but don’t squat there at a full charge.
Am I off base?
Nope. Appears you are not stopping anyone else from getting a charge at that location.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

2. If a charger is in a high turnover retail locations, don’t squat there for more than an hour or two even if you need longer to reach a full charge (the time to eat a meal or watch a movie as applicable).
  3. If a charger is in a residential or office area, park for as long as you need to reach your desired charge, but don’t squat there at a full charge.
Am I off base?
Agreed. Especially if you are charging every week or two. If you were charging every day, I would be more concerned about being a charger hog. If you are there once every week or two, no problem. Each all day ~ 4-5 2 hour sessions.

At this point, it sounds like they are not in heavy demand anyway. Better to use them and show the city there is demand than to leave them empty and have folks think it was money wasted to put them in.

Mockingbird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
I’m taking a trip to the Kansas suburbs of Kansas City (Johnson County) and there are no DCFC stations there. All the ChargePoint 50kW stations in the area are old Efacec machines that have been confirmed to not work with the MME, and they won’t be updated.
This issue has been resolved

TSB 21-2190 Illuminated Powertrain Malfunction (Wrench) Indicator With DTCs - HV Battery Not Charging At Level 3 DC Fast Charging Station/EVSE | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum - MachEforum.com

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mirak

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag