Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
For me it is, I did the 8 years 125,000 mile for $1485 through Zeigler. Cheap protection because I plan on keeping the car that long and if I don't it helps with resale because it's transferable
Sponsored

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag
How do you get the replacement keyfob? Do you just say you lost it and drive in with PAAK?
I actually did lose it. But found it later. I went in with a PAAK but didn't leave my phone. I had to give them the door entry code and the password to start the car. I changed it for them so it would be simple.

Happy

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 mustang gt
Occupation
accountant
Country flag
? I am hoping to get my Mach e GT by year end. Can I actually shop around dealers for the lowest price extended warranty?

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
? I am hoping to get my Mach e GT by year end. Can I actually shop around dealers for the lowest price extended warranty?
Yes, you can even buy one after you buy the car. Several ford dealers offer significant discounts online and are mentioned in this thread

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
We just invest the money we would otherwise have paid into any kind of warranty. On all purchases. For vehicles, we've been doing this since the first new vehicle we purchased in 1995. We have never regretted not purchasing an extended warranty.
Exactly, self-insure! This is what companies do all the time - they fund their own internal insurance so they don't have to pay the massive overhead and margins from using a third party insurance. If you took the money you would have spent on all the random warranties for cars, appliances, houses, etc,. and put it in a modest income earning account, and pay for repairs out of that account then over the long term you'll always come out ahead.

They say that in gambling you can never beat the house - the only exception is if you become the house...

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Exactly, self-insure! This is what companies do all the time - they fund their own internal insurance so they don't have to pay the massive overhead and margins from using a third party insurance. If you took the money you would have spent on all the random warranties for cars, appliances, houses, etc,. and put it in a modest income earning account, and pay for repairs out of that account then over the long term you'll always come out ahead.

They say that in gambling you can never beat the house - the only exception is if you become the house...
This is very true if you are capable of paying for repairs then don't buy the ESP. On the other hand, people buy insurance or service plans to budget and have fixed repair costs.

For me the plans on this car are so cheap I bought one and considering my car has already been in for service 3 times I think it will pay for itself.

If I am wrong well its not a large cost

Last edited:

Ponypower50

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 CMax, 2021 Rapid Red Mach-E FE
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Just get it! If something happens you won't be sorry.

jeffdawgfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang MachE AWD ER, 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Occupation
Retired Navy / Veterans Administration
Country flag
Every consumer advocate out there will tell you....Never, never, never buy an extended warranty on a new car.

OP
OP
alexgorod

alexgorod

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Job 2 MME Premium SR AWD (21 CR-V - wife's)
Occupation
DBA
Country flag
Maybe that $8,000 is paid out in two claims to two people for $4,000 each. Those people who got back $4,000 for putting in $1,000 made a killing. The other eight people put in $1,000 got nothing.

You don't know which group you will end up in at the start, but you do know in the end, on average, buyers will lose money on the policy, even if some people come out ahead.
If I pay a thousand dollars and don't use them - I'll be happy that gods accepted my sacrifice and gave me a good car ;)
If I pay a thousand and get back four - I'll be happy that I was wise enough to purchase this warranty and also saved some money.
If I don't buy it and need to spend for repairs - I'll be mad on myself for being too cheap.

I can self insure myself, it's not so much financial decision but psychological.

cvk71

First Name
CK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E GT, 2015 Lincoln MKZ, 1962 Ranchero,
Occupation
Operations Manager
Country flag
It really depends on if you are going to keep the car for a long time or if you drive a lot of miles. I plan on keeping the car for at least 3 years and I drive over 20,000 miles a year so I will burn through the factory warranty in year two. This is too new of a technology from Ford for me to run the risk of a huge payout in year two of ownership. I purchased a GL350 Mercedes for my wife and purchased an extended warranty for $4k. At around 55,000 miles it started to fall apart conveniently just after the factory warranty expired. When I finally sold the car Mercedes had spent almost $8k fixing the POS so it was money well spent. Ever since then if I plan on keeping the car long after the warranty I usually get the extended coverage. Case in point on her 2016 Flex I just made my money back on the extended warranty I bought because of a water pump and hatch motor replacement at 92,000 miles.

810to310

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Edge Limited, 2018 F-150 Limited, 2021 MME-FE
Country flag
I used to buy them, for peace of mind, then decided that I can have it (peace of mind) without spending extra money. But with this first-year, new technology vehicle, and after reading this forum for a while, I am not so sure.

I don't even know how much it costs or what and for how long it covers, but now I'm thinking...

I have to much time while waiting for my Mach-E :rolleyes:
I always wait till my warranty is almost up and then buy...but I buy directly from Ford in Dearborn, never from a dealership. And on the one vehicle I sold before the extended warranty was up, I got the remaining value of the warranty back from Ford (I had to give them my mileage.) I’ve never thought about comparing prices to different dealerships. I will do that in the future!

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Short answer: No.

Long answer: Absolutely not.

Longer answer: There is a reason the margin is YUUUUGE on extended warranties. They are not your friend. Don't do it. Sell the vehicle after 3-4 years if it is that big of a concern.
You and I appear to be in the minority.
The margin is about 87%…in common terms, it’s a suckers bet.

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
I always tell people never buy the warranty but I’m actually considering it for this one. It’ll be my commuter and the warranty will be up within a year and half mileage wise so that doesn’t leave me much room. Also, I have yet to drive a ford vehicle that didn’t have something broken so my confidence level isn’t that great to begin with lol.