rgparham

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
acura mdx/rdx/4runner/ ford mach e awd premium
Country flag
I normally do not buy extended warranties. Is anyone considering the extended warranty on the Mach e? I ask this as it is a new product for FORD without the Tesla track record.
Sponsored

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
I think I'm keeping the Mach-E 'forever', so I'll consider buying one. I haven't seen the pricing yet for the products that are going to be offered on the Mach-E. If I can get a warranty for a couple hundred over cost then we might have a deal.

Ford does have a good track record with electric vehicles. I've heard millions of miles driven without a failure in the electric motors. I'm not as concerned about a mechanical failure as I'm concerned about the 15" HMI screen and Sync 4a computer.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
That's why I plan to do the Ford options: it gives me an out if much better batteries are on the market, or the car has serious design flaws

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
I normally do not buy extended warranties. Is anyone considering the extended warranty on the Mach e? I ask this as it is a new product for FORD without the Tesla track record.
No, at least not at first. You can always buy an extended warranty later. I plan to keep Mach-E long term and see how it performs. My C-Max is 8 years old and so far I've never had any major issues with it so I never bought the warranty.

There are various places online that also sell the official Ford warranty at varying prices.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
I have not decided yet. I will probably decide when I see what is being charged.

I have had cars in the past where I've bought it, and cars where I haven't.

On the gf's C-Max, I bought her an extended warranty online as a gift at the end of the 3-yr/36,000-mi; Budco aka Ford will finance it so I'm doing 6 monthly payments and done (vs. rolling into the initial purchase). She hasn't even thought about it at all because as long as the car works, she's set. It was more for my own benefit since if anything happens, I know I'll end up dealing with it.

On my Fusion, which is now at 7+ years, I can't really get one - there's a point where Ford won't do it any longer, and I've heard enough horror stories about third-party warranties that I'll never go that route.

The only time I would have used it on the Fusion would have been when I had the MyFord Touch hardware replaced, which was well over $1K parts and labor out of warranty... because the Fusion didn't get special extended support on it (although same year other cars did, Focus and Fiesta I think). Turns out, I've since by hand replaced the hardware again from an eBay purchase for well under $300 including OBD-II programming cable and a trim toolkit, only to figure out the original failure wasn't hardware but an obscure software bug in the Windows CE Bluetooth stack triggered by the "explicit" flag in my podcast app. The bug hit the second unit as well and of course the third one, because same software that I've now figured out how to workaround. So those two hardware replacements were money well spent. ?

Ford does have a good track record with electric vehicles. I've heard millions of miles driven without a failure in the electric motors. I'm not as concerned about a mechanical failure as I'm concerned about the 15" HMI screen and Sync 4a computer.
This is exactly the stuff I'm worried about as well - the new-ish electronics that, if they fail, will be stupidly expensive to have Ford replace out of warranty.

That's why I plan to do the Ford options: it gives me an out if much better batteries are on the market, or the car has serious design flaws
Ford Options continues to strike me as very interesting - a lease that isn't. Seems like the best of both worlds, lease and purchase. But I need to see the final numbers, and we don't have those yet.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I will not be buying an extended warranty. Have quite a bit of experience with Ford's electric vehicles to provide plenty of confidence to satisfy my concerns.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I'm definitely considering the warranty but also the Ford Options. Just looking at the financing calculator online, It almost seems too good to be true. Like, there's got to be a catch.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I wish the battery warranty was a little bit better in that presently the battery's capacity has to fall below 70% before they would replace it. I understand it's for 8 years/100,000 miles and maybe 70% charge at 100,000 miles after 8 years of ownership is not unreasonable degradation, but what happens if you have a faulty battery that is, for example, only holding 80% of a charge in year 2?

I'd be more inclined to consider the extended warranty if it included a more robust safeguard as to battery degradation.

MattG

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, Crosstrek, Lotus Elise, Jeep Wrangler LJ
Country flag
, but what happens if you have a faulty battery that is, for example, only holding 80% of a charge in year 2?
I bet you could just deep cycle it if it was already proving bad and needed a nudge to get to 70. Charge to 100%, drive to 0%, repeat. I’ve heard encouraging things about Tesla’s battery life though and am optimistic about the Ford.

nivlem

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'66 Mustang;'79 Mustang;2015 Genesis;2021 Mach E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I would like to offer a somewhat different perspective on Extended Warranties (Repair Insurance Policies). Obviously a major repair is something that we should plan for and even possibly insure against. However, cars today are extremely reliable; most vehicles have at least a 36/36000 mile mfg warranty to take care of issues. (Electronic components that do not suffer “infant mortality” are unlikely to ever fail.) A Repair Insurance Policy does not kick in until the mfg warranty expires, yet the insurance provider still collects premiums with absolutely no liability. I am certain we would be shocked to find the percentage of collected premiums they pay out vs to company profits. Reliable, well built cars make up the business model of this industry.

Please let me suggest different way that could be used to pay for repairs. For me, I never buy a Repair Insurance Policy. Essentially I self insure. I have a Maintenance Account where I deposit the amount I would pay in premiums, each month. This has really worked well for me. I purchased new cars in 1986, 1993, 2001, 2005, and 2015 and when something needed to be fixed I'd draw from that account. Only one major repair (transmission) was necessary between 1986 and today.

This is not perfect, but you have the warranty period to build up your account; then you would have funds to cover most, if not all of a repair, or all funds are available if repairs were unneeded. (It works even better if you don't stop depositing in the account).

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Probably not. Bought a 100K one with my Escape. At 103K miles had to replace the Turbo for $2,.300. Because I put a lot of mileage on quickly not worth it.

However, if any of the rest of you want one, send me your phone numbers and I will forward you the calls I get daily about extending my warranty.

MerryBrown

First Name
Mary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Escape, Red Ford Mach-E on order
Occupation
Finance
Country flag
I bought the extended warranty for all of my last 3 Fords and ended up needing it twice. Definitely a different scenario because there were ICE vehicles. But the times that I did need it, I really saved the cost of the warranty and then some. So I will likely think pretty hard about this. I lean toward not getting it because the car comes with a good warranty set as is.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
Met with my dealer this past weekend and went over some financials - I've never purchased an extended warranty, mostly because my last 3 cars were Kia/Hyundai, which come with 5 Year/60,000mile bumper to bumper. The Mach-E only has 3 Year/36,0000 bumper-to-bumper. My commute is about 100 miles round trip, and I end up with around 23,000-25,000 miles a year. That meant the standard warranty on the Mach-E would only get me through a year and half, and I plan on keeping it for at least 5 years or so.

My main concern is that this is a ground up new car, and the first production year. There's a lot going on electronically that could potentially need fixing down the road. I've been lucky enough to never have any major issues with any past cars, but I'd rather have the peace of mind knowing that it'll be covered for most of it's life in my possession.

Through Ford Protect I was quoted around $2,750 to extend my warranty to 5-Years, 100,000 miles. I did notice that Ford Protect does have a $100 deductible, seems odd to me, but not a deal breaker I guess. Seeing as this is my first go with an extended warranty, wanted some of you all's opinions/experiences. I definitely don't want to bother with a 3rd party, so Ford Protect is the only option I'd consider.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Met with my dealer this past weekend and went over some financials - I've never purchased an extended warranty, mostly because my last 3 cars were Kia/Hyundai, which come with 5 Year/60,000mile bumper to bumper. The Mach-E only has 3 Year/36,0000 bumper-to-bumper. My commute is about 100 miles round trip, and I end up with around 23,000-25,000 miles a year. That meant the standard warranty on the Mach-E would only get me through a year and half, and I plan on keeping it for at least 5 years or so.

My main concern is that this is a ground up new car, and the first production year. There's a lot going on electronically that could potentially need fixing down the road. I've been lucky enough to never have any major issues with any past cars, but I'd rather have the peace of mind knowing that it'll be covered for most of it's life in my possession.

Through Ford Protect I was quoted around $2,750 to extend my warranty to 5-Years, 100,000 miles. I did notice that Ford Protect does have a $100 deductible, seems odd to me, but not a deal breaker I guess. Seeing as this is my first go with an extended warranty, wanted some of you all's opinions/experiences. I definitely don't want to bother with a 3rd party, so Ford Protect is the only option I'd consider.
I have a very similar use case to you. I'm not doing it this time. Last time it was like flushing $1,000 or so down the toilet. I know the car is more expensive than my Escape, and I know it was 5 years ago and not Ford Protect (third party warranty sold by dealer) but it was about $1,000 for an ICE vehicle. $2,750 sounds like a lot for a BEV where maintenance costs are supposed to be lower, and the most expensive part, the battery, is warranted longer. Seems like my biggest concern would be that large display. But what do I know?

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
I have a very similar use case to you. I'm not doing it this time. Last time it was like flushing $1,000 or so down the toilet. I know the car is more expensive than my Escape, and I know it was 5 years ago and not Ford Protect (third party warranty sold by dealer) but it was about $1,000 for an ICE vehicle. $2,750 sounds like a lot for a BEV where maintenance costs are supposed to be lower, and the most expensive part, the battery, is warranted longer. Seems like my biggest concern would be that large display. But what do I know?
I think $2750 seemed high as well, but I have little experience here and not much to compare it to. The screen (big and little), the hands-free assist monitor, and all other integrated electrics are my biggest concern.
Sponsored