mattbostonmache

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4
Country flag
I have a build 2 car (Nov build date). The little "button" with a lock icon above the circular door-opening button does not reliably work. I have to press it 3-10 times to get it to lock.

Honestly, I didn't think was supposed to do anything because when I touched it for the first few months, nothing happened. I presumed it was just to indicate that the button below was for opening the doors. But after reading other threads, I realized it's supposed to lock the doors.

So I've been trying to use it the past couple weeks, I've been trying to use it. Well, I'm not sure how your supposed to press it. Is it a light graze? A solid touch? Or a firm press? I've tried all three and it usually takes 5-10 times to get it to lock. My best was two presses. 5-6 seems to be the most common.

PS I know I can hit 7/8 and 9/0 and it'll lock, but this is not a natural finger motion and requires looking at the door. So I'd rather use the button that's supposed to work.

Let me know if you have any tips.

cc: @Ford Motor Company
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Having a bad day?

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I have to place my finger on that lock icon and hold it there for a moment or two until it locks. A quick touch and release never worked for me. I don't think it is a physical mechanical button. It must have some way to sense an object over it (such as your finger)

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Not sure. I use a solid press with my thumb. Hold it there 1-3 seconds until it locks.

Only rarely do I have to push it a second time.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Mine works maybe 50% of the time as well and then I think figured out the right way to do it and then it doesn’t work the next time, very inconsistent, not sure what the deal is, not a huge issue for me though.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I don't typically lock the doors with that padlock pad, since it's so unreliable...

But once or twice I had the thought, "Am I supposed to swipe this?"

Have you tried a swipe? If I look at it under bright light, I can see some sort of sensor is positioned in a square cutout area right behind or slightly askew of that padlock, depending on the door pillar. Maybe by swiping you'll get better coverage to where the actual sensor is located.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
I don't typically lock the doors with that padlock pad, since it's so unreliable...

Have you tried a swipe? If I look at it under bright light, I can see some sort of sensor is positioned in a square cutout area right behind or slightly askew of that padlock, depending on the door pillar. Maybe by swiping you'll get better coverage to where the actual sensor is located.
I may try this Jonathan. I got tired of the lack of reliability and I just hit the lock button on the inside of the door when I get out - works every time. The instances where I shut the front door and have something in the back I have gotten used to touching the 7/8-9/0 on the pillar.

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
I have a build 2 car (Nov build date). The little "button" with a lock icon above the circular door-opening button does not reliably work. I have to press it 3-10 times to get it to lock.

Honestly, I didn't think was supposed to do anything because when I touched it for the first few months, nothing happened. I presumed it was just to indicate that the button below was for opening the doors. But after reading other threads, I realized it's supposed to lock the doors.

So I've been trying to use it the past couple weeks, I've been trying to use it. Well, I'm not sure how your supposed to press it. Is it a light graze? A solid touch? Or a firm press? I've tried all three and it usually takes 5-10 times to get it to lock. My best was two presses. 5-6 seems to be the most common.

PS I know I can hit 7/8 and 9/0 and it'll lock, but this is not a natural finger motion and requires looking at the door. So I'd rather use the button that's supposed to work.

Let me know if you have any tips.

cc: @Ford Motor Company
Try opening the back door first. If that works immediately, having 21B36 Customer Satisfaction Program done should fix this problem with the driver door.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
It's weird that it's so inconsistent between vehicles. From the day I got the car, the only way I lock it is by holding my finger on that padlock for about a second. It always works for me.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Try opening the back door first. If that works immediately, having 21B36 Customer Satisfaction Program done should fix this problem with the driver door.
I think what you’re referring to is about unlocking with the round door button?

This whole thread is about locking with the button above that button.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
It's weird that it's so inconsistent between vehicles. From the day I got the car, the only way I lock it is by holding my finger on that padlock for about a second. It always works for me.
Agree. Super weird actually.
We have three if these in our family, they all are a little different in how they work. ???

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag

I sometimes rub it like a genie lamp and it works lol

OH2AZ2OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 4X
Country flag
Mine never worked until I disconnected the 12v battery. Now it works most of the time, but not always. Might be worth a shot if you want to try it yourself. When it works, it is near instantaneous with just a light press of the lock icon.

Mine is a job 1 car, and I haven’t scheduled the 21P22 update for it yet. The door pillar lock is one of the improvements listed in that update, I’m just waiting until my 10k is due.

Your dealer should be able to address this one pretty easily, I think.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
I sometimes rub it like a genie lamp and it works lol
unfortunately your first wish was to have the car, the second was to be able to lock it, and the third was to be able to lock it in this specific way, so you're all out of wishes.
Sponsored