Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
For those who have one - how does it do in snow on the factory tires? I’m particularly interested in unplowed or poorly plowed roads, or going through say 3-5 inches of unplowed snow. Some days, I’ll be lazy, and just pull my escape straight out of my garage and down my approximately 20 foot driveway if there’s only about 3”-4” of snow, then come back later and shovel. Also, they do a very poor job plowing my development so I know I can count on driving in car tracks through poorly plowed, or unplowed snow.
Sponsored

Marcel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Woodworker
For those who have one - how does it do in snow on the factory tires? I’m particularly interested in unplowed or poorly plowed roads, or going through say 3-5 inches of unplowed snow. Some days, I’ll be lazy, and just pull my escape straight out of my garage and down my approximately 20 foot driveway if there’s only about 3”-4” of snow, then come back later and shovel. Also, they do a very poor job plowing my development so I know I can count on driving in car tracks through poorly plowed, or unplowed snow.
Engineering explained has a nice video on YouTube about the Michelin all weather tires

OP
OP
Jimrpa

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Engineering explained has a nice video on YouTube about the Michelin all weather tires

Thanks! I’m looking for real-world experience from people who have their cars out on the roads.

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
And how is AWD vs RWD in the snow? I've ordered AWD, but I've been asked if AWD is as necessary with an EV like the Mach-E.

xspartachris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE
Country flag
And how is AWD vs RWD in the snow? I've ordered AWD, but I've been asked if AWD is as necessary with an EV like the Mach-E.
I wasn’t in the car but my wife just drove through snowing / icy road conditions and was surprised by how little traction the OEM Michelin Primacy A/S tires have in those conditions. Not unexpected considering they are efficiency oriented all-seasons. But if you are used to proper winter tires you’ll want to swap to proper winter tires or at least a much more winter oriented all-season (3PMSF rated) like Michelin CrossClimates or Nokian WR G4. The problem I’m having right now is I’d like to have the winter tires on their own wheels but nobody knows what aftermarket wheels fit properly.

aamyotte

First Name
Alain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
I wasn’t in the car but my wife just drove through snowing / icy road conditions and was surprised by how little traction the OEM Michelin Primacy A/S tires have in those conditions. Not unexpected considering they are efficiency oriented all-seasons. But if you are used to proper winter tires you’ll want to swap to proper winter tires or at least a much more winter oriented all-season (3PMSF rated) like Michelin CrossClimates or Nokian WR G4. The problem I’m having right now is I’d like to have the winter tires on their own wheels but nobody knows what aftermarket wheels fit properly.
I would suggest to have winter tires installed on the factory wheels for this year then find some aftermarket in the fall once the aftermarket catches up.
By then you might find some that you like more to use in the summer and keep the factory ones for winter. I did that with my '99 GT as I wasn't fond of the factory wheels.

OP
OP
Jimrpa

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Well, this is disappointing news, as I was hoping that the heavy vehicle weight, coupled with AWD and sophisticated traction management, would have made it competent in winter conditions. They had videos of the mule frolicking in the snow as if it was a summer day on dry pavement. I really have no place to store an extra set of tires, let alone tires mounted on wheels (which would be preferable) :(

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
like so many things, I'm going to be directly comparing to experiences in other vehicles... the Fusion Energi has mixed all season (front don't match back) and it's... functional in snow. gf' C-Max has factory tires still and it's... functional in snow. The old '95 GT convertible was... really bad in snow no matter what non-winter-specific tires were on it.

so at this point if I never feel like I'm stuck in a driveway I'll be happy ;) but we'll see.

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
It appears the the crossclimate2 is not available in size 225/55/R19. What other size will fit that might be available for that tire?

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
Ok, just had a conversation with discount tire, they say 235/55 R19 would be the closest size - .2 inches taller, 60mph would actually be 60.9mph. 10mm wider, 130mph in the H rating -faster than I will ever go in a car.

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Interesting but those are $43 more per tire than Discount tire 235 /55 R19 105H XL BSW and $32 more than Costco for the 235 /55 R19 105H XL BSW.
I’m not saying that’s they’re cheaper or even that you should go with that tire. Just pointing out that that tire is available in that size.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
The mache is great in snow and with the tires, it comes with it's fine. there were about 4 inches of snow on the ground back in December and the mache went right along like it was nothing.
Sponsored