that_macheguy

First Name
BRAYDEN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MUSTANG MACH E GT PERFORMANCE
Country flag
Hello all. I have a 2021 GT Performance with about 17k miles. Since summer wheel steering wheel shakes super bad when braking but sometimes it doesn’t. I haven’t used one pedal driving in about a month and it still does this. This is what the rotors look like immediately after driving. Any ideas? Yes I have searched and seen some things but they were old posts. Is something like this covered under warranty or am I out of the brake warranty?

FA67CBB6-0A31-4B65-9DEA-BF2E4C0831BD.jpeg
Sponsored

billyp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mache Gt
Country flag
sounds more like steering components (tie rod ends etc) than brakes. Do you feel pulsating in the brake pedal?

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
It looks like you have some pitting on the rotors (not a big deal) and some rust spots where water was trapped between the pads and the rotor. Try doing some emergency stops in a safe place from 35-50 mph. 😊🐩

OP
OP
that_macheguy

that_macheguy

First Name
BRAYDEN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No just the steering wheel is where I feel it. This picture is after 50 miles of driving this morning.

Auto Motive

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mustang mach e GT performance
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Hello all. I have a 2021 GT Performance with about 17k miles. Since summer wheel steering wheel shakes super bad when braking but sometimes it doesn’t. I haven’t used one pedal driving in about a month and it still does this. This is what the rotors look like immediately after driving. Any ideas? Yes I have searched and seen some things but they were old posts. Is something like this covered under warranty or am I out of the brake warranty?

Ford Mustang Mach-E Failing Brakes? FA67CBB6-0A31-4B65-9DEA-BF2E4C0831BD
Rotors looks scored. Those grooves shouldn't be there feel it with your fingernail and see if it's sticks. Although brakes aren't warranted I would definitely let the dealer check those brakes out and your rotors. Be careful. My wife's GTP just clocked 11,500 MI and brakes and rotors look new and we use Regen except once a month we use normal braking to clear it clean the rotors. Good luck

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
Not using 1 pedal drive still doesn't use the friction brakes unless enough force is needed.

Switch to neutral and do a bunch of stops.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Not using 1 pedal drive still doesn't use the friction brakes unless enough force is needed.

Switch to neutral and do a bunch of stops.
Yup. Panic stops. 😊🐩

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
There is a TSB for some 2021 models relating to pad material getting stuck to the rotor and causing issues. It doesn’t sound exactly like your problem, but might be worth checking.

fangfow

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang MachE GTPE
Occupation
RF Engineer
Country flag

Ford Mustang Mach-E Failing Brakes? FA67CBB6-0A31-4B65-9DEA-BF2E4C0831BD
I am experiencing the same with my GTPE; have a dealer appointment this Friday for my 20K mile service... I'll let you know what they say.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
No just the steering wheel is where I feel it. This picture is after 50 miles of driving this morning.
pretty sure those rotors are normal, like others said, put it in whisper and then switch to neutral and do some hard braking

OP
OP
that_macheguy

that_macheguy

First Name
BRAYDEN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have braked hard enough now many times to remove anything and the rotors still look like that. I’ve owned many cars and never once had rotors look this rough. They are usually shiny not dull. I have not been using one pedal and brake normally so it shouldn’t be a problem with that

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
The thing is, unless I have been hammering my car I need to panic stop every once in a while to prevent rotor corrosion. I only use 2PD, but the car utilizes so much regenerative braking that your pads don’t really contact the rotors forcefully enough to polish off the corrosion during normal use. I don’t hammer the car much due to the HVBJB issue, so I am mashing the brakes on a weekly basis (pretty much daily during the recent CA rains). 😊🐩

Space Ghost GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GLE 450, space white GT received 11/04/22
Occupation
Nerd
Country flag
There’s your problem right there. That’s never coming out. You’ll need new rotors. 1pd will give you the gift of corroded rotors. As many have said even with 2pd you still really need to jam on the binders. The stick it N trick will clean them up nice. Hyundai actually has a mode that will make you use the friction brakes 10 times in a row to keep the rotors alive. Ford needs to do the same with an update. Our cars aren’t getting enough pad material deposited on the rotor faces to keep this from happening in normal driving. Another problem with regen only braking systems.

D7CC6D4D-DAB3-4133-B826-E1B3BC37F3DC.jpeg

OP
OP
that_macheguy

that_macheguy

First Name
BRAYDEN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There’s your problem right there. That’s never coming out. You’ll need new rotors. 1pd will give you the gift of corroded rotors. As many have said even with 2pd you still really need to jam on the binders. The stick it N trick will clean them up nice. Hyundai actually has a mode that will make you use the friction brakes 10 times in a row to keep the rotors alive. Ford needs to do the same with an update. Our cars aren’t getting enough pad material deposited on the rotor faces to keep this from happening in normal driving. Another problem with regen only braking systems.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Failing Brakes? D7CC6D4D-DAB3-4133-B826-E1B3BC37F3DC
That’s what I thought. Thanks for your input.