Fan still running at full tilt 4 hours after parked

Crazypostman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Curious if anybody else has experienced this. The car was plugged in but it hadn't been charging in quite some time. When I parked it was at 76% and my daily charge limit is 80% so probably finished charging after 30 minutes after parked.
Sponsored

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
When's the last time the powertrain software was updated?

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I haven't had an update yet since I took delivery. It's a 2022
Hmm, 22's should have the latest software. Sure you didn't leave the car on by accident? Otherwise it might be trying to cool the battery down to a certain temp after charging. Did you hear the A/C compressor running?

OP
OP

Crazypostman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Hmm, 22's should have the latest software. Sure you didn't leave the car on by accident? Otherwise it might be trying to cool the battery down to a certain temp after charging. Did you hear the A/C compressor running?
Definitely would have noticed if I left it on I absolutely despise that double honk! If there's some way I could kill That honk I would LOL... But no it wasn't on I went outside it was super loud I got in it and turned it on and it got slightly louder when the AC cranked up I turned it back off and shut the door but the fan stayed full speed. It does quiet down if I unplug the car. But it's not really charging, it only had to charge a few percent and that was 4 hours ago. if anything it's just maintaining now. I can't believe that little bit of trickle charge or occasional charge however it maintains would crank the fans that hard.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Definitely would have noticed if I left it on I absolutely despise that double honk! If there's some way I could kill That honk I would LOL... But no it wasn't on I went outside it was super loud I got in it and turned it on and it got slightly louder when the AC cranked up I turned it back off and shut the door but the fan stayed full speed. It does quiet down if I unplug the car. But it's not really charging, it only had to charge a few percent and that was 4 hours ago. if anything it's just maintaining now. I can't believe that little bit of trickle charge or occasional charge however it maintains would crank the fans that hard.
You can disable the double honk with FORScan: https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...le-honk-with-mach-e-running-in-forscan.11374/

Not sure if this is new behavior for 2022 or not, it might choose to actively cool while plugged in if the temp is above 40ºC (104ºF).

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Not sure if this is new behavior for 2022 or not, it might choose to actively cool while plugged in if the temp is above 40ºC (104ºF).
I inadvertently suggested that my car doesn't ever actively cool itself... To be clear, it does -- but only while started ("ready") or while plugged in AND within its permitted charging hours.

It doesn't actively cool anything while off, unplugged, or while off, plugged in, but outside of the scheduled charge hours.

OP
OP

Crazypostman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
OP
OP

Crazypostman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
I inadvertently suggested that my car doesn't ever actively cool itself... To be clear, it does -- but only while started ("ready") or while plugged in AND within its permitted charging hours.

It doesn't actively cool anything while off, unplugged, or while off, plugged in, but outside of the scheduled charge hours.
I have noticed the fan running before while the car was not on but it was very low and slow, was cranked up to 11 today!

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I live in Phoenix and last summer it would run the fans when plugged in, but seems to stop once it finishes charging. My Bolt will run the battery cooling, even if not plugged in. GM changed the software to do this last year.

I do not like the fact it will not run the cooling outside of the charging window. Cooling the battery should take priority over off peak hours. The Bolt cools even when not charging and when on peak rates are active.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I live in Phoenix and last summer it would run the fans when plugged in, but seems to stop once it finishes charging. My Bolt will run the battery cooling, even if not plugged in. GM changed the software to do this last year.

I do not like the fact it will not run the cooling outside of the charging window. Cooling the battery should take priority over off peak hours. The Bolt cools even when not charging and when on peak rates are active.
The battery doesn't need to be cooled when it's sitting idle, storage temp is up to 60ºC (140ºF). I would rather it doesn't run up the electric bill during peak times. Battery only needs to be cooled if it's going to be driven or charged. If you're going to drive you're supposed to set a departure time in those temps so the battery is cooled down before leaving. Ford just needs better app controls for preconditioning the battery.
Sponsored