Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Star White Premium RWD ER
Occupation
Retired technology professional
Country flag
While much discussion has been held about the charging curve at EA stations, I don't recall anything about the experience at ChargePoint and others.

To be specific.....my road trip from suburban Chicago to Phoenix will take me through Oklahoma where Francis Energy has many stations delivering 150 & 350kw.

Will we experience the same charging curve at non-EA stations where we see it ramp down from peaks of up to 160, drop to 120, then 100, then 80, before falling to 11-12 when reaching 80% SOC?
Sponsored

mr_raider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
Yes. People in Canada have tested the car on Petro Canada or Electric Circuit. This is simply a protection mechanism hard coded in by Ford. The charge rate is controlled by the vehicle software.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
While much discussion has been held about the charging curve at EA stations, I don't recall anything about the experience at ChargePoint and others.

To be specific.....my road trip from suburban Chicago to Phoenix will take me through Oklahoma where Francis Energy has many stations delivering 150 & 350kw.

Will we experience the same charging curve at non-EA stations where we see it ramp down from peaks of up to 160, drop to 120, then 100, then 80, before falling to 11-12 when reaching 80% SOC?
Charging curves on these other stations can be comparable depending on the capacity of the charger and how it is programmed. Best results will probably be at 350kW stations.I have a couple of non-EA charging sessions in https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/my-travels-with-marlin-gb-fe-delivered.3298/

In particular, the Chargepoint in Kingsland GA only delivered half its advertised rate. Remember that you may need to have a separate app or RFID card for some other networks if they aren't part of FordPass.

balthisar

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Expedition; 2021 Mach E Premium AWD Extended
Occupation
Engineer@FoMoCo
Country flag
And I suddenly realized that the border will someday re-open, and I have no idea whether my car will charge in Ontario. A quick check in the app is encouraging, though: in addition to giving me a 150 kW charger just east of London, it also properly routes me via the 402 by default instead of trying to force me through Windsor.

And, holy cow am I envious. There are more chargers in Oakville and Mississauga than there are Starbucks and Tims combined! On the other hand, I'd have to limp into Stratford if I were running low on juice in St. Marys.

MattG

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, Crosstrek, Lotus Elise, Jeep Wrangler LJ
Country flag
The fastest chargers I’ve used so far are Chargepoint 62.5kW stations; charging is pretty steady at a bit under 60kW until 80% when it hits the cliff. The first time I used one though the power varied wildly...it fluctuated between 35-45kW before hitting the 80% cliff. I wonder if the car was going through a learning process.

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag

I tried to use the EVgo a few times in Chicago but never any luck

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
The fastest chargers I’ve used so far are Chargepoint 62.5kW stations; charging is pretty steady at a bit under 60kW until 80% when it hits the cliff. The first time I used one though the power varied wildly...it fluctuated between 35-45kW before hitting the 80% cliff. I wonder if the car was going through a learning process.
Nope.
Sponsored