Fast charging for Mach-Es at Ford Dealerships (UK)

Andeh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1926 Chrysler 60, 1929 Austin 7, 1965 Ford Anglia
Country flag
What is the difference between fast and rapid?
In the UK fast is 7kw to 22kw. Rapid is 22kw+ (though in practice this generally means 50kw+)

I believe you use the terms L2/DCFC for similar distinctions?
Sponsored

Last edited:

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
And I'm pretty sure that there were no such conversations that involved Ford management. If something was promised in a brochure or a video, someone would have posted it by now.

What are you basing your pretty sureness on?

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
One thing is certain: It's easier to put chargers where there's already electricity. Superchargers require a LOT of power if they're going to support 2, 4, 6 cars at once (eventually they will with waiting lines).

In the 80's I was on my town's planning board and we looked into burying the overhead lines in town. We we told to expect quotes at $1 million per mile.

I'll bet running an underground line along a highway for a charger won't cost that much, but consider the places where you would like to see a big honking charger and wonder what it would cost to install it. And then, consider that the guy that installed it will want to show a profit.

I'm betting that before those remote, in the middle of a long highway trip chargers are installed, we'll see cars routinely getting 400 to 500 miles on a home charge rendering them fairly unnecessary.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
In the UK fast is 7kw to 22kw. Rapid is 22kw+ (though in practice this generally means 50kw+)

I believe you use the terms L2/DCFC for similar distinctions?
So in US all EV certified dealers have to have 2 "fast" chargers (one open to the public). Very few have "rapid". If I was to guess that will be replicated in UK eventually. It may be that the original plan was to have them set up some time last year, but that was a crazy year, so a lot of planned thing didn't get done.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
What are you basing your pretty sureness on?
On the fact that senior managers of a company (any company) rarely have chats with random members of the public. And when they do, it's usually trumpeted in the media (sort of like man bites dog stories).

murphy62

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla S90D, 2021 Mach-E AWD ER
Occupation
retired
Country flag
So in US all EV certified dealers have to have 2 "fast" chargers (one open to the public). Very few have "rapid". If I was to guess that will be replicated in UK eventually. It may be that the original plan was to have them set up some time last year, but that was a crazy year, so a lot of planned thing didn't get done.
They were supposed to have been set up in 2013 when the Fusion Energi was introduced.
It was only required for electric certified dealers.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
For heaven's sake guys, the question posed was in relationship to the UK. Anything that was or was not promised in the United States is wholly irrelevant.

OP
OP

Alungr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E RWD ER
Country flag
My local dealer in Eastbourne currently doesn't have a charger, and so I enquired a month or so ago, because on the same site they also have Skoda and Kia, both of which have their EV's on their way. Their response was that they are currently LOOKING at upgrading their electricity supply, then PROBABLY install chargers in the next few months for use by the 3 brands. Whether it actually happens or not I'll have to wait and see!
Looks like the Ford UK plans in other parts of the country are equally disconnected from what the dealerships have agreed to do. A dealership selling Ford's premier EV but no chargers installed - it's embarrassing.
With my dealership having no chargers at all I'm wondering if it will be charged when I get it delivered, maybe the first thing I'll be doing in my Mach-E is limping to a public charger and standing around for an hour!

OP
OP

Alungr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E RWD ER
Country flag
And I'm pretty sure that there were no such conversations that involved Ford management. If something was promised in a brochure or a video, someone would have posted it by now.

50kW vs 150kW for me.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
You are the only person in this thread mentioning senior managers. At all. I don’t require a senior manager from McDonalds to tell me what size French fries come with a happy meal, just any donkey behind the counter.
And we all know what a promise from a braying donkey is worth ?

Smuddell

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Renault Megane E Tech Launch Edition
Country flag
Looks like the Ford UK plans in other parts of the country are equally disconnected from what the dealerships have agreed to do. A dealership selling Ford's premier EV but no chargers installed - it's embarrassing.
With my dealership having no chargers at all I'm wondering if it will be charged when I get it delivered, maybe the first thing I'll be doing in my Mach-E is limping to a public charger and standing around for an hour!
I actually have to pick up my Mach E from the Hastings branch of the same group (around 15 miles away) because they are a FordStore. They do have a charger, but I think it's just a type 2. I think it's part of the PDI to charge it to 100% for delivery, but even before I saw that I asked my dealer for a full battery, just like I always ask for (and get!) a full tank of petrol!

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I think all the US folks contributing to this thread could do with checking which forum it's under...
Most people don't read the subform very often, or if they do it's after they're in. If you want to avoid US folks coming in, it would be good to put UK in the thread title.

Andeh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1926 Chrysler 60, 1929 Austin 7, 1965 Ford Anglia
Country flag
Most people don't read the subform very often, or if they do it's after they're in. If you want to avoid US folks coming in, it would be good to put UK in the thread title.
It's not my thread.