Fast charging to 90% Plz God Help Me

The Black Horse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Select Mach E+Comfort and Tech, 2015 Mini Cooper
Country flag
I travel with my mach-e often and read the car got an update allowing it to fast charge to 90%. The update never came. Did I make this up in a fever dream?

I dropped off my car at the Ford dealership for the first maintenance after about 15k miles. I asked for all the upgrades the car had to be performed for me. The dealership said they would charge me $150 per update if there was no current issue. They did update the phone wireless charger for free since i had a current problem with it and did nothing else.

When i specifically asked for the fast charging to 90% update and said I would pay for it ... they mumbled and said they don't know what i'm talking about.

Can someone help point in the right direction. I am just a simple man who drives a lot of road trips.
Sponsored

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
I travel with my mach-e often and read the car got an update allowing it to fast charge to 90%. The update never came. Did I make this up in a fever dream?

I dropped off my car at the Ford dealership for the first maintenance after about 15k miles. I asked for all the upgrades the car had to be performed for me. The dealership said they would charge me $150 per update if there was no current issue. They did update the phone wireless charger for free since i had a current problem with it and did nothing else.

When i specifically asked for the fast charging to 90% update and said I would pay for it ... they mumbled and said they don't know what i'm talking about.

Can someone help point in the right direction. I am just a simple man who drives a lot of road trips.
I would go to this thread and have someone run your VIN for you to see what you need:
https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...are-willing-to-look-up-info-for-others.10230/

The faster charging after 80% was an OBCC update part of 21P22 CSP. Did you not have that done? It also came OTA last year.

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

First off unless it is a recall or a technical bulletin then the dealer does not get paid to update modules so you have to pay for them. Second there is a thread discussing the possibility that Ford has released an update under the table so to speak that precondition s the battery. If accurate you need to program a DCFC stop in the Ford nav system and preconditioning may commence within 30 miles I believe they stated (might be minutes.)

Read this thread: https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/dcfc-preconditioning-is-it-coming.25304/unread

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I travel with my mach-e often and read the car got an update allowing it to fast charge to 90%.
Just so you're clear.

You can fast charge to 100%. The issue is that at 80% the speed dramatically slows down.

The update, which came last year, was to increase the 80% to 90% speed from 14kW to 44kW, i.e. 3 times faster. Still way slower than charging to 80%. The only reasons to charge over 80% when DC charging are:

1) You need the range to get to your destination / the next charging location.
2) You're getting free charging - i.e. that location isn't charging you for the charge. EA locations sometimes have this (it will be displayed on the screen "Complimentary"), or you may find a 3rd party charger that is free - we found a 50kW charger in the fall that was free so we charged to 100%, and then departed.

OP
OP
The Black Horse

The Black Horse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just so you're clear.

You can fast charge to 100%. The issue is that at 80% the speed dramatically slows down.

The update, which came last year, was to increase the 80% to 90% speed from 14kW to 44kW, i.e. 3 times faster. Still way slower than charging to 80%. The only reasons to charge over 80% when DC charging are:

1) You need the range to get to your destination / the next charging location.
2) You're getting free charging - i.e. that location isn't charging you for the charge. EA locations sometimes have this (it will be displayed on the screen "Complimentary"), or you may find a 3rd party charger that is free - we found a 50kW charger in the fall that was free so we charged to 100%, and then departed.

I frequently do road trips above 200 miles - I have the normal range battery so 100% is about 245 or 220 in the winter. My car needs to be at least 90% for me to make these trips without having to charge which saves me ALOT of time since i'm already driving about 3 hours.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I frequently do road trips above 200 miles - I have the normal range battery so 100% is about 245 or 220 in the winter. My car needs to be at least 90% for me to make these trips without having to charge which saves me ALOT of time since i'm already driving about 3 hours.
I definitely would figure out a way to get the update if you don't have it already. It's at least 4x faster after 80%, should save you significant time. You notice you charge slower after 80% on DCFC right now?

OP
OP
The Black Horse

The Black Horse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
First off unless it is a recall or a technical bulletin then the dealer does not get paid to update modules so you have to pay for them. Second there is a thread discussing the possibility that Ford has released an update under the table so to speak that precondition s the battery. If accurate you need to program a DCFC stop in the Ford nav system and preconditioning may commence within 30 miles I believe they stated (might be minutes.)

Read this thread: https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/dcfc-preconditioning-is-it-coming.25304/unread
Yeah, me having to pay out of pocket for an update, purposely called a module for legal reasons to make it different than an updtate, for the car i just paid 50+ grand for just doesn't sit right with my spirit.

Not sure to blame ford, or the dealerships but i'm certainly not happy about it.

OP
OP
The Black Horse

The Black Horse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I definitely would figure out a way to get the update if you don't have it already. It's at least 4x faster after 80%, should save you significant time. You notice you charge slower after 80% on DCFC right now?
Yes it falls off a cliff after 80. I know it won't be charging as fast as it did to get to 80 but i think it went down to below 20kw last time i was charging after 80.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
It went from 14 to 44, although a recent update may have flattened it out to low 30s.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It went from 14 to 44, although a recent update may have flattened it out to low 30s.
I've seen as high as 49 when I would usually top out at 11 or 12

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes it falls off a cliff after 80. I know it won't be charging as fast as it did to get to 80 but i think it went down to below 20kw last time i was charging after 80.
Yeah it will still fall off a cliff, just not as much

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
It still falls off a cliff... just not as far. If it's really cold it could still be in the 20kW range.

Domainman

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mustang Mach E
Country flag

Try calling Ford, there is a number for corporate. I once had an issue with a warrant issue with Toyota, dealer wanted $6,000 called Toyota and it by some miracle dropped to $2,600 and was covered.

MellowJohnny

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Solution Architect
Country flag

Hammered

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 PB F150, MME GTPE
Country flag
This is where I stopped on a recent trip, I was just burning free charging for 30 minutes while I got some things at WM
Ford Mustang Mach-E Fast charging to 90% Plz God Help Me 1674520159249
Sponsored