Fast (level 3) chargers in northern parts of lower Michigan, the UP of Michigan, northern Wisconsin do not exist.

BlueMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
A pair of ChargePoint 62.5kW chargers have been installed at Indian River, Michigan which is 29 miles south of Mackinaw City. Not sure when it will be powered up.
Showing online on the ChargePoint app this evening.
Sponsored

specialgreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BoltEV
Country flag
Coming from Minnesota, I need a charger in Wausa to bring the gap from Eau Claire to Norway.
I drive
  • Minneapolis to Eau Claire (charge 15min)
  • 119mi. to Custer (charge 1 hr)
  • 128mi to Crivitz (charge 40 min)
  • 43mi to Norway
It's 1 hour longer drive-time than if there was a DCFC in Wausau (+add'l charge time).

No bathrooms in Custer after 5pm, so stop in Stevens Point for bathroom and takeout! There is a backup L2, plus a backup 25kw 20 miles away in Waupaca.

Adding 43 miles' range in Crivitz takes ~40 minutes at 18kw, and walking to/from McD's takes 15-20 minutes, and you deserve fries :) . There is a backup L2.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billyk24

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
I drive
  • Minneapolis to Eau Claire (charge 15min)
  • 119mi. to Custer (charge 1 hr)
  • 128mi to Crivitz (charge 40 min)
  • 43mi to Norway
It's 1 hour longer drive-time than if there was a DCFC in Wausau (+add'l charge time).

No bathrooms in Custer after 5pm, so stop in Stevens Point for bathroom and takeout! There is a backup L2, plus a backup 25kw 20 miles away in Waupaca.

Adding 43 miles' range in Crivitz takes ~40 minutes at 18kw, and walking to/from McD's takes 15-20 minutes, and you deserve fries :) . There is a backup L2.
Custer has a slow dcfc which isn't good enough for 2021 moving forward. Green Bay and Wausau both need modern 150+kW chargers. Your drive takes too long in a bev compared to ice. State of Wisconsin is poor for dcfc. Politicians who can't work together for thus are not fit for office.

OP
OP
Billyk24

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I just did my duty and begged Electrify America (via their submission form) to go up to Green Bay. There were additional sites I felt like adding, but decided I needed to focus the message. Posting in case it inspires others to lobby with... well, anyone.

Full text:

Robert Barrosa
VP Market Development
Electrify America
2200 Ferdinand Porsche Drive
Herndon, VA 20171
Dear Vice-President Barrosa,
Electrify America has been providing reliable service in Wisconsin along the I-94 corridor between Chicago and Minneapolis for several years, as well as north from Chicago to Milwaukee.
However, the corridor north from Milwaukee to Green Bay WI is dramatically underserved: Green Bay remains the only one out of 32 NFL cities without a single CCS charger (it is ranked Nielsen market #67 by size, and roughly double the size of Santa Barbara CA or Wilmington DE). This is not the result of a lack of EV ownership or EV transit through Green Bay (as can be observed at the busy proprietary EV chargers in Howard, WI). Rather, it is a result of a lack of agreement on EV adoption policy at the state level, which would have otherwise funded multiple smaller CCS charging stations in any other market of this size.
This provides an opportunity for Electrify America to build into a corridor of higher potential charger utilization, with reduced competition. I strongly recommend that Electrify America consider Green Bay as part of its third cycle.
As for specific site, I’d suggest the Walmart Supercenter located at 2440 W. Mason St, Green Bay WI. There is a 115kv route along the west edge of the property, and a WPS substation directly across Mason St. to the south at GPS 44.52343,-88.09422 . I have no affiliation with Wal-Mart, so cannot speak to this site’s ability to host.
I would be happy to speak with an Electrify America representative, if you’d like any further detail on why I believe Green Bay to be a good location, or how I would make use of that site in my own travel.
Sincerely,
Thank you. I submitted such a request in 2019. Will do again.

specialgreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BoltEV
Country flag
Custer has a slow dcfc
At least it's not one of the dreaded 100A "50kw" chargers.
According to TorquePro, I was pulling 40.5kw @331v = 122A. I had 10% SOC and 84F pack temp, so the car was not limiting current.

As slow as it is, it would be great if Midwest Renewables could make a deal with Wausau and move that charger to the Wausau downtown parking ramp (where there is a public L2). It would get more use (faster payoff). 7 miles east of Stevens Point is sure beautiful, but it's not a good use of the investment.

I agree that a 150kw Veefil, or pair of Chargepoint 250s would be better. But I don't know of any DCFCs installed in my state in the last 2 years that weren't tied to VW money. I don't think anybody here can fix Wisconsin's EV policy, so we do what we can.

Interesting question: coming from Chicago to Green Bay, it would make sense for EA to put one stop in-between. Would you electrify I-43 (Manitowoc) or I-41 (Fond Du Lac, Osh Kosh, Appleton)? And which city would you pick for the halfway point?

RobFitzgerald167

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
First Edition Grabber Blue
Country flag
Interesting question: coming from Chicago to Green Bay, it would make sense for EA to put one stop in-between. Would you electrify I-43 (Manitowoc) or I-41 (Fond Du Lac, Osh Kosh, Appleton)? And which city would you pick for the halfway point?
I think Door County is also ripe for an EA station. Sturgeon Bay would be logical choice, but I think further up the peninsula would be good too. As a FIB who goes up to Egg Harbor WI a few times a year from Chicago, it would be big win.

And answering the question, I think I-43 Manitowoc would be ideal, that's usually where I stop for gas and stretch the legs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billyk24

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think Door County is also ripe for an EA station. Sturgeon Bay would be logical choice, but I think further up the peninsula would be good too. As a FIB who goes up to Egg Harbor WI a few times a year from Chicago, it would be big win.

And answering the question, I think I-43 Manitowoc would be ideal, that's usually where I stop for gas and stretch the legs.
You need one on I-43 (Manitowoc) and I-41 Fon Du Lac in addition to Green Bay and Wausau for 150+kW chargers. Some of us cut off of I-41 at St Wi 45 heading to the Northwoods as it is shorter than going into Green Bay.

OP
OP
Billyk24

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I just realized there is already a 50kw in Fond Du Lac (not EA speed, though).
The energy company put this in 50kW ccs dcfc. Nice but. The route needs a bank of dcfc chargers.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Going to have to make a tour of all these stations posting pics in plugshare for posterity ;)

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Agreed. Already mapped out the route to my B-I-L's cabin up north.
here's hoping for your sake the chargers are working given the sparse nature of them. ?

specialgreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BoltEV
Country flag
It's not much, but if you're headed up to Eagle River/Rhinelander/Minoqua WI lakes country, there's now a 25kw DCFC at Cheverolet Merrill, north of Wausau.

It's really... really... slow... but it will let me drive 236 miles from Eau Claire to Norway MI (with a 25kw top-up in Merrill), instead of going 292 miles from Eau Claire to Custer to Norway (with a 50kw top-up). Depsite being a lousy 25kw, this will save me about an hour each way!

Also, Merrill Chev is 300 yards from "Friendship House" 24x7 truck stop/restaurant, which is a great place to take a break (I have stopped there in an ICE many times).
Sponsored