Fast (level 3) chargers in northern parts of lower Michigan, the UP of Michigan, northern Wisconsin do not exist.

specialgreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BoltEV
Country flag
I know the guy that placed those "pins". Hage Automotive
If Hage Automotive put them on Plugshare, that's encouraging. That would also explain why they put some of their "future charger sites" on plugshare (like Marquette) but not others (like Ironwood).

It also makes a bit more sense for funding:
- Marquette is MQT Board of Light & Power territory
- Seney, Manistique and Houghton are all UPPCo
- Rapid River (North of Escanaba) is Alger Delta Cooperative

These are all utilities that would work with Michigan's EGLE grant process, so they are plausible locations for DCFC.

Ironwood also appears as a "future site" on the map at RedECharge.com, but was _not_ added to Plugshare. And it is in Xcel territory, and Xcel is unlikely to work with EGLE on a grant. So RedECharge would have a 50% higher cost to put a DCFC in Ironwood.(*)

So it sort-of adds-up.

(*) EGLE grant will pay up-to 1/3 of total project cost, but will only match whatever the utility kicks-in. So Xcel would need to either (A) pay for 1/3 of a DCFC they don't own; or (B) take 1/3+ ownership stake in a joint venture with RedECharge (and maybe the municipality or property owner) to own & operate an Ironwood DCFC station. Knowing Xcel, neither seems likely.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billyk24

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
If Hage Automotive put them on Plugshare, that's encouraging. That would also explain why they put some of their "future charger sites" on plugshare (like Marquette) and not others (like Ironwood).

It also makes a bit more sense for funding:
- Marquette is MQT Board of Light & Power territory
- Seney, Manistique and Houghton are all UPPCo
- Rapid River (North of Escanaba) is Alger Delta Cooperative

These are all utilities that would work with Michigan's EGLE grant process, so they are plausible locations for DCFC.

Ironwood also appears as a "future site" on the map at RedECharge.com, but was _not_ added to Plugshare. And it is in Xcel territory, and Xcel is unlikely to work with EGLE on a grant. So RedECharge would have a 50% higher cost to put a DCFC in Ironwood.(*)

So it sort-of adds-up.

(*)EGLE grant will pay up-to 1/3 of the project cost, but will only match what the utility kicks-in. So Xcel would neck ed to either (A)pay for 1/3 of a customer-occs charging network because the return on investment is going to be limited with thwned buy Rivian will have a closed dcfc DCFC or (B) own 1/3 of a DCFC joint-partnership or (C) own and operate a DCFC station. None seems likely.
Rivian announced 3 UP locations so check Rivian locations with Plugshare for further clarification. I don't buy Rivian will close off their network due to the limited Rivian being produced. Ribian network is to be completed in 2023.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Check out the "Red E Charge" map, here:
https://www.redecharge.com/

Someone already put them in plugshare (although the map and plugshare don't indicate if they are DCFC or Level-2).

specialgreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BoltEV
Country flag
Check out the "Red E Charge" map, here:
https://www.redecharge.com/

Someone already put them in plugshare (although the map and plugshare don't indicate if they are DCFC or Level-2).
I noticed that now someone added Ironwood. I contacted Hage Automotive (RedECharge) on Facebook and they report that they don't add anything to Plugshare until it's online, so a 3rd party is adding these. Only 3 of RedECharge's locations on their map are DCFC, so I expect some of the UP sites could be L2. In particular, I really doubt that Ironwood (Xcel Energy) would be eligible for a EGLE grant.

So I'm back to "wait and see," and not putting too much faith in those Plugshare.

OP
OP
Billyk24

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I noticed that now someone added Ironwood. I contacted Hage Automotive (RedECharge) on Facebook and they report that they don't add anything to Plugshare until it's online, so a 3rd party is adding these. Only 3 of RedECharge's locations on their map are DCFC, so I expect some of the UP sites could be L2. In particular, I really doubt that Ironwood (Xcel Energy) would be eligible for a EGLE grant.

So I'm back to "wait and see," and not putting too much faith in those Plugshare.
In addition, one can come across individual towns such as Gladstone-south of Rapid River-official talking about installing electric vehicle chargers. Then again, will they be L3 or L2? Gladstone looks at electric car chargers | News, Sports, Jobs - Daily Press

specialgreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BoltEV
Country flag
Per the other thread about EA's 2025 plans
- https://www.macheforum.com/electrif...ng-of-its-ev-charging-network-by-end-of-2025/
...I thought I'd highlight the "2021" vs "2025" maps of Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Fast (level 3) chargers in northern parts of lower Michigan, the UP of Michigan, northern Wisconsin do not exist. EA-2025-plans.PNG

You can see one charger at Green Bay, and another at Wausau. It looks like there is also a Duluth site, and one on MN's North Shore. In Michigan, I think I see Grand Rapids.

Note that EA says this "Boost Phase" exceeds the court-ordered $2bn investment, so it probably depends on EA landing an investment partner.

OP
OP
Billyk24

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It also looks like Mackinaw City is to receive a charger. Hage Automotive and RedeCharge have stated in the past this city is on the installation plans but nothing has been finalized.

dano

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 MME
Occupation
Communications Engineer
Country flag
I think that Mackinaw City location you're looking at might be the current Gaylord EA site.

Also, as someone who lives along Lake Michigan, I am a little worried about my property value if the lakes will be gone in a few years.

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Rivian announced 3 UP locations so check Rivian locations with Plugshare for further clarification. I don't buy Rivian will close off their network due to the limited Rivian being produced. Ribian network is to be completed in 2023.
Rivan also uses VW's Electrify America here is a map that includes what EA is planning by end of 2023 off Rivan's website

I understand your frustration because all the ones in SD are future and I was planning a trip to see Mount Rushmore from Saint Paul. At this point, it is possible but not easy as there is a 24kw fast charger in Sioux Falls and then not another one until Rapid City. Rapid City is 347 miles from Sioux Falls. The only way to do it is to stay overnight at a campground in Chamberland SD and charge with the portable charger.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Fast (level 3) chargers in northern parts of lower Michigan, the UP of Michigan, northern Wisconsin do not exist. rivan.JPG

Last edited:

specialgreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BoltEV
Country flag
Plugshare shows RedECharge as operational in Manistique, 54 miles east of Esky and 92 miles west of the bridge. It's labelled as 62.5kw, so probably a single(?) Chargepoint Express 250. This is different from RedECharge's 3xRT50 installs in Elk Rapids & Grayling, lower MI

EDIT: looks like it's been deleted again from Plugshare, probably was an error

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billyk24

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Plugshare shows RedECharge as operational in Manistique, 54 miles east of Esky and 92 miles west of the bridge. It's labelled as 62.5kw, so probably a single(?) Chargepoint Express 250. This is different from RedECharge's 3xRT50 installs in Elk Rapids & Grayling, lower MI

No check-ins or photos yet... who can grab one!?
That is an error and needs to be removed from plugshare.

specialgreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BoltEV
Country flag
I also noticed some changes on Michigan's EGLE DCFC grant award map (https://www.michigan.gov/images/climateandenergy/ChargeUpMI-Update_717163_7.jpg )
  • Grant Approved status for American Soo.
  • Grant Approved status for Escanaba.
  • Under Review status for Naubinway.
  • Grant Approved status for Mackinaw City
Interestingly, the last 3 don't match RedECharge's map . I wonder if there is a race (RedECharge and others) to get grant applications in. Last year, EGLE announced 36 stations and $1.7m in grants on August 6 2020, and followed with 9 more awards in December. But this month, I've seen no press release. Maybe we'll get a big list of awards soon? With the seasonal nature of construction in the UP, these would not be likely to be built until summer 2022.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billyk24

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If you are planning to travel the Northern portions of Wisconsin and/or the UP, you may need to bring your own portable generator with you. Too many of the newly installed DCFC chargers are having issues via Plugshare reports
  • Clam Lake, Wisconsin, can't even power up despite a brand new installation!
  • Norway, Michigan is under the Chargepoint banner and recent reviews on Plugshare reveal only capable of 27kW rates and the charger needs new parts!
  • Trego, Wisconsin the charger has issues with the credit card reader and users are relying upon the app for usage.
  • Bayfield Court House, Wisconsin was recently installed and users report a problem free experience.
  • Crivitz Wisconsin at the Frank Porth Chevrolet dealership has been problem free but charger is only open when the dealership is open.
  • Merril Wisconsin at the Wheelers Chevrolet dealership has also been problem free
  • Marinette, Wisconsin at the Koehne Chevrolet/Buick dealership has a broken locking clip on the handle and the charge does not work.
What a mess. Unreliable and too few chargers at too few locations.

specialgreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BoltEV
Country flag
If you are planning to travel the Northern portions of Wisconsin and/or the UP, you may need to bring your own portable generator with you. Too many of the newly installed DCFC chargers are having issues via Plugshare reports

• Norway, Michigan is under the Chargepoint banner and recent reviews on Plugshare reveal only capable of 27kW rates and the charger needs new parts!
  • Trego, Wisconsin the charger has issues with the credit card reader and users are relying upon the app for usage.
  • Crivitz Wisconsin at the Frank Porth Chevrolet dealership has been problem free but charger is only open when the dealership is open.

• Merril Wisconsin at the Wheelers Chevrolet dealership has also been problem free
What a mess. Unreliable and too few chargers at too few locations.
Some notes:
- 29Pines threw an Inverter Error on me a couple weeks ago, so have enough to reach Eau Claire or Keyes Chev Menominee.
- The Norway Chargepoint Express 250 technical info says it has two modular inverter/rectifier modules, and Norway’s output is about right for just one working… so on the “bright side,” it looks like the CPE250 design can tolerate a blown rectifier, and at least it works at half-speed (unlike the Tritium Veefil 50s). If a site installed two teamed-up CPE250s, they can “share” rectifiers, so overall site KW would only be 25% lower (E.g. 100kw with only 1 car plugged-in). I think it’s a great design for smaller 2-charger sites.
- It looks like many (all?) of the Co-Op chargers going into WI are run by ZEF. I’ve had errors with the ZEF CC readers at multiple sites, which said “reconnect network,“ yet the ZEF help desk people are remote’d into the charger (=good network). So I’d highly recommend using the ZEF app with ZEF chargers, and not gambling on their CC readers.
- Last year, Crivitz worked fine on a Sunday at 10pm (not business hours)… did something change? I just used it at 3pm a week ago Saturday, but they may have been open (Didn’t see anybody). One thing I like about Crivitz (over Merrill) is that there is a backup L2 EVSE.

But, yeah, in general: 3 successive charging stops at 19kw, 19kw and 27kw is painfully slow.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billyk24

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Some notes:
- 29Pines threw an Inverter Error on me a couple weeks ago, so have enough to reach Eau Claire or Keyes Chev Menominee.
- The Norway Chargepoint Express 250 technical info says it has two modular inverter/rectifier modules, and Norway’s output is about right for just one working… so on the “bright side,” it looks like the CPE250 design can tolerate a blown rectifier, and at least it works at half-speed (unlike the Tritium Veefil 50s). If a site installed two teamed-up CPE250s, they can “share” rectifiers, so overall site KW would only be 25% lower (E.g. 100kw with only 1 car plugged-in). I think it’s a great design for smaller 2-charger sites.
- It looks like many (all?) of the Co-Op chargers going into WI are run by ZEF. I’ve had errors with the ZEF CC readers at multiple sites, which said “reconnect network,“ yet the ZEF help desk people are remote’d into the charger (=good network). So I’d highly recommend using the ZEF app with ZEF chargers, and not gambling on their CC readers.
- Last year, Crivitz worked fine on a Sunday at 10pm (not business hours)… did something change? I just used it at 3pm a week ago Saturday, but they may have been open (Didn’t see anybody). One thing I like about Crivitz (over Merrill) is that there is a backup L2 EVSE.

But, yeah, in general: 3 successive charging stops at 19kw, 19kw and 27kw is painfully slow.
Has to change if bev are to become mainstream. Hard to justify spending over 50k on a bev that you can not road trip without excess preparation.
Sponsored