Fast (level 3) chargers in northern parts of lower Michigan, the UP of Michigan, northern Wisconsin do not exist.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
62.5 kWh is not 250 miles in the Mach-e. Not even in the RWD ER.

Ford says the RWD ER gets 300 miles on 88 kWh. That's 3.41 miles per kWh. 62.5 kWh would be 213 miles, not 250. (And that's mostly city driving. It's much worse on the highway.)
Sponsored

jdmrc93

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition in Grabber Blue
Occupation
IT Network Engineer
Country flag
I'd agree, in principle that if you're travelling North on I-75 you're not really in a hurry--you're on vacation. However, many people leave Southeastern Michigan to go "up north" for the weekend (as evidenced by the Friday Northbound and Sunday Southbound traffic backups on said I-75).

As such they are in a hurry to get to their destination and would not accept an additional 2 hour wait to get there.

Of course, with a LR Mach-E RWD at 300 miles you can almost get to Mackinaw city on a single charge (probably more like Gaylord--oh wait their DCFC's just went online and they are only 62.5kW). In addition, it sounds like the DCFC's in Gaylord are in a nice spot to spend some time--easy walking distance to many locals see the pavilion here (Streetview).
My cabin is on Drummond Island (we're actually the easternmost property in the UP). We have to travel from the Detroit area. We typically stop in Gaylord (Waters exit) to fill up and let the dogs out. We're usually done in 10 min, simply because we've gotten so good at timing the EUPTA DI ferry. We also have a MacPass.

We don't want to sit around for 1-2 hours waiting for the car to charge when we're used to 10 min. I can live with a 30 min charge time, albeit reluctantly.

I want to get to my cabin QUICKLY! It's already a 6 hour drive as-is.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
My cabin is on Drummond Island (we're actually the easternmost property in the UP). We have to travel from the Detroit area. We typically stop in Gaylord (Waters exit) to fill up and let the dogs out. We're usually done in 10 min, simply because we've gotten so good at timing the EUPTA DI ferry. We also have a MacPass.

We don't want to sit around for 1-2 hours waiting for the car to charge when we're used to 10 min. I can live with a 30 min charge time, albeit reluctantly.

I want to get to my cabin QUICKLY! It's already a 6 hour drive as-is.
LOL! I understand. As a working stiff myself: If we're going up North we want to get to our destination ASAP--especially if its for a short duration.

As an EV driver, however, I'm inclined to want to try the challenge once in a while though LOL.

Wow Drummond Island; beautiful country up there.

OP
OP
Billyk24

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
Hage Auto is installing DC fast CCS chargers in Mackinaw City. It is unknown at what charging rate these will be. If 150kW, then CCS supported BEV will not have such an extended charging session.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicles
Country flag
Hage's DCFC is only 50kW, see here: (Scroll down to specs)
https://hageauto.com/juicepump

The whole page is a bit disengenuous because they talk about "Drivers can charge up to 80% in 30 minutes" and yet their DCFC is only 50kW so....not with their charger.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Hage's DCFC is only 50kW, see here: (Scroll down to specs)
https://hageauto.com/juicepump

The whole page is a bit disengenuous because they talk about "Drivers can charge up to 80% in 30 minutes" and yet their DCFC is only 50kW so....not with their charger.
Emphasis on “up to”. It may be up to on a 30 kWh Leaf like mine.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicles
Country flag

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
Last edited:

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicles
Country flag
Looks like someone's been busy putting these new chargers into plugshare:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Fast (level 3) chargers in northern parts of lower Michigan, the UP of Michigan, northern Wisconsin do not exist. Annotation 2020-08-16 110208

(Yeah only showing CCS on plugshare still shows an empty upper penninsula, however.)
Sponsored