Fast (level 3) chargers in northern parts of lower Michigan, the UP of Michigan, northern Wisconsin do not exist.

OP
OP
Billyk24

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
It's not much, but if you're headed up to Eagle River/Rhinelander/Minoqua WI lakes country, there's now a 25kw DCFC at Cheverolet Merrill, north of Wausau.

It's really... really... slow... but it will let me drive 236 miles from Eau Claire to Norway MI (with a 25kw top-up in Merrill), instead of going 292 miles from Eau Claire to Custer to Norway (with a 50kw top-up). Depsite being a lousy 25kw, this will save me about an hour each way!

Also, Merrill Chev is 300 yards from "Friendship House" 24x7 truck stop/restaurant, which is a great place to take a break (I have stopped there in an ICE many times).
There is a friendship house in Eagle River but no dcfc chargers.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Billyk24

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
A 40 amp L2 charger now exists at the ABR ski area just outside of Ironwood. Been there several times to ski.

specialgreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BoltEV
Country flag
Just an update for those heading to northern WI/MI U.P. from the west: the 25kw charger at Merrill WI has never worked since installation two months ago.

In other news, Rivian has planned DCFC in Ironwood, Marquiette and Escanaba... only for Rivian vehicles :( .

OP
OP
Billyk24

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just an update for those heading to northern WI/MI U.P. from the west: the 25kw charger at Merrill WI has never worked since installation two months ago.

In other news, Rivian has planned DCFC in Ironwood, Marquiette and Escanaba... only for Rivian vehicles :( .
Rivian had not specified when these will be installed. They are suppose to also install level 2 chargers and I bet some with their dcfc sites.

OP
OP
Billyk24

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

It looks more like Ironwood-Manistique-Newberry and Marquette. Houghton should have one.

specialgreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BoltEV
Country flag
Just an update for those heading to northern WI/MI U.P. from the west: the 25kw charger at Merrill WI has never worked
Another update: Merrill WI is reported fixed April 26th, and had its first check-in May 2nd. I will probably hit it up in a week, traveling the 238 miles between Upper Michigan (Norway) and Eau Claire WI.

OP
OP
Billyk24

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Another update: Merrill WI is reported fixed April 26th, and had its first check-in May 2nd. I will probably hit it up in a week, traveling the 238 miles between Upper Michigan (Norway) and Eau Claire WI.
Good to hear. The Tesla planned location in Escanaba is first announced in 2018 at the Mejeir location shows no evidence of permitting or construction activity. Drove thru last week. Now Rivian has announced four dcfc locations in the UP of Michigan via thru maps but no specific addresses. Rivian begins retail sales next month.

OP
OP
Billyk24

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Tesla has broken ground and started the installation of Superchargers at the Mejier location in Marquette location in the UP. Tesla owner forum members are stated two other UP locations will receive Superchargers in 2021.

specialgreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BoltEV
Country flag
Another update: Merrill WI is reported fixed April 26th, and had its first check-in May 2nd. I will probably hit it up in a week
Wheelers Chev in Merrill WI worked fine for me a couple of weeks ago. I saw on Plugshare that it was ICEd at another time that same day, but the cable reached the next spot over for the other driver (fringe benefit of only 25kw: thin cable). Looks like they could use some EV-Only signage on that spot.

specialgreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BoltEV
Country flag
Several future Upper Michigan DCFC locations for "RedEcharge.com" have appeared on Plugshare. Future chargers appear in:
- Marquette (Krist gas)
- Manistique (Krist gas)
- Seney (Andy's Bar)
- Rapid River (Pantry Truck Stop)
- Houghton (Festival Foods)

It looks like someone entered some (but not all) of the future chargers shown on the map at https://www.redecharge.com/
That map also shows Ironwood, Ontanogon, L'Anse, Munising, Rudyard and Michigan Soo.

Looking at some other DCFC stations built by RedECharge.com, I see multiple Tritium Veefil 50kw chargers, like this:
https://www.plugshare.com/location/310265

I sent a note to RedECharge asking about the "future charger" icon on their map for 1301 E Cloverland Dr, Ironwood (Mobil gas), but got no reply after a week. If anybody has a contact at RedECharge, could you PM me?

bellyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME FE & '23 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Has anyone tried the ChargePoint chargers in Appleton, WI? Looks like there is a 24 kw DCFC at the Harley Davidson dealer and another at Bergstrom Motors. I am wondering how long it would take to get a decent charge from those; I would hope that I could expect at least 40 miles in an hour of charge, but I'm not sure what to expect at that level. The drive from Chicago to Door County is a bit of a stretch in the ER AWD MME, but doable after a 1 hour and 15 minute top up at the EA DCFC in West Milwaukee. That EA station is perfect on the drive home from Door County to Chicago, as the battery is much more depleted and we are charging within that 10-80% range, but on the way up, when I need to get the battery over 80% to get up to Door County from Milwaukee, it is pretty rough. I am thinking that as the battery wears down over time we may need to change our route and plug in for a bit at those slower DCFC stations in Appleton because there is a DCFC desert between Milwaukee and Door County.

I have been begging EA over Twitter and e-mail to add a DCFC station somewhere around Sheboygan, Manitowoc, or Green Bay. I feel like any of those locations would be prime charging locations for folks heading up to Door County for vacations. So, for anyone else who may need charging in any of those spots, please ping EA and pile on to the requests for a charging station somewhere in that area! :)

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
Has anyone tried the ChargePoint chargers in Appleton, WI? Looks like there is a 24 kw DCFC at the Harley Davidson dealer and another at Bergstrom Motors. I am wondering how long it would take to get a decent charge from those;
While I have not used that one specifically, I have used one just like it several times at my local Harley dealership (free too!!). I got a reading of about 22 kW from it (from the display on the unit). So estimate maybe 20 kW per hour into the battery. Miles per hour is a hard metric because it depends on your efficiency. I like to think of this 24 kW unit as basically twice as fast as my home charger when you're under 80% SOC and work off of that.

https://www.plugshare.com/location/245426

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billyk24

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Several future Upper Michigan DCFC locations for "RedEcharge.com" have appeared on Plugshare. Future chargers appear in:
- Marquette (Krist gas)
- Manistique (Krist gas)
- Seney (Andy's Bar)
- Rapid River (Pantry Truck Stop)
- Houghton (Festival Foods)

It looks like someone entered some (but not all) of the future chargers shown on the map at https://www.redecharge.com/
That map also shows Ironwood, Ontanogon, L'Anse, Munising, Rudyard and Michigan Soo.

Looking at some other DCFC stations built by RedECharge.com, I see multiple Tritium Veefil 50kw chargers, like this:
https://www.plugshare.com/location/310265

I sent a note to RedECharge asking about the "future charger" icon on their map for 1301 E Cloverland Dr, Ironwood (Mobil gas), but got no reply after a week. If anybody has a contact at RedECharge, could you PM me?
This is the crew that does the installation: Hage Automotive HAGE Automotive | Facebook this is where replies are possible.

specialgreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BoltEV
Country flag
RedECharge.com's map shows a pin for "future charger" in Ironwood MN. If you click on it, it says "1301 E Cloverland Dr, Ironwood, MI 49938". I stopped there at 8pm on Thursday, and it looked partially boarded-up:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Fast (level 3) chargers in northern parts of lower Michigan, the UP of Michigan, northern Wisconsin do not exist. un-redecharge-ironwood

There was an "Open" sign, despite being closed. There was a sign in the window about CBD products. The pumps are wrapped in plastic.

I went to the Krist gas station across the street, just in case the pin was dropped on the wrong side of US-2. A 40-ish woman at Krist reported that US-2 Service Center was closed, and they did not know about an EV charger coming to Ironwood (but she _did_ know about the level-2 charger downtown).

The RedECharge map also shows a pin for a future charger in Marquette, at "338 W Washington St", which is a busy Krist gas station. Someone has added this pin to Plugshare as a future DCFC. I stopped there also, and a 40-something guy said he was not aware of any EV charging coming (but he did know about the L2 in the dowtown parking ramp). I also verified that there are no permits pulled for electrical work at that address.

My take on this is that the map on RedECharge is "aspirational." The locations are probably approximations of where RedECharge intends to expand its network. Also, since RedECharge has 3 operational DCFC sites in MI, and 8 operational L2 sites in MI, we can't assume any of those "future site" pins on their in the U.P. are DCFC.

OP
OP
Billyk24

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
RedECharge.com's map shows a pin for "future charger" in Ironwood MN. If you click on it, it says "1301 E Cloverland Dr, Ironwood, MI 49938". I stopped there at 8pm on Thursday, and it looked partially boarded-up:
un-redecharge-ironwood.jpg

There was an "Open" sign, despite being closed. There was a sign in the window about CBD products. The pumps are wrapped in plastic.

I went to the Krist gas station across the street, just in case the pin was dropped on the wrong side of US-2. A 40-ish woman at Krist reported that US-2 Service Center was closed, and they did not know about an EV charger coming to Ironwood (but she _did_ know about the level-2 charger downtown).

The RedECharge map also shows a pin for a future charger in Marquette, at "338 W Washington St", which is a busy Krist gas station. Someone has added this pin to Plugshare as a future DCFC. I stopped there also, and a 40-something guy said he was not aware of any EV charging coming (but he did know about the L2 in the dowtown parking ramp). I also verified that there are no permits pulled for electrical work at that address.

My take on this is that the map on RedECharge is "aspirational." The locations are probably approximations of where RedECharge intends to expand its network. Also, since RedECharge has 3 operational DCFC sites in MI, and 8 operational L2 sites in MI, we can't assume any of those "future site" pins on their in the U.P. are DCFC.
I know the guy that placed those "pins". Hage Automotive--can find via facebook and at: http://www.hageauto.com/ ---has spoken for the future UP locations. Hage does the installation and has installed a number of 50kW DCFC chargers and L2 chargers in the lower "portion" of Michigan. Hage has claimed a number of 50kW chargers will be installed in the UP but......it might really be a case of believe when you see it. Or Hage and RedeCharge is awaiting "payoff" from the governmental grants for this work.,

Those pins on Plugshare are directly related to the locations found on the Red E Charge map located here: Red E Charge