Fast (level 3) chargers in northern parts of lower Michigan, the UP of Michigan, northern Wisconsin do not exist.

OP
OP
Billyk24

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
West Branch on I-75 would be an ideal location for another fast DC CCS charging location. Plenty of gas-food-shopping options. Then further up, Mackinaw City needs to receive the same. Tesal has installed a new supercharger at this location but has yet to power up the location.
Sponsored

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
The interesting thing about that 2nd article is this paragraph:
In May, Consumers Energy launched “PowerMIDrive,” a rebate program aimed at aggressively expanding the number of chargers around the state. The program offers as much as $5,000 apiece for the installation of up to 200 Level 2 vehicle chargers, to be installed “in public places and at workplaces throughout Michgan,” as well as rebates of up to $70,000 for 24 DC fast chargers to be placed “along highways and travels routes in Michigan.” Consumers’ goal is to create a unified network of charging options statewide.
24 Level-3 chargers in Michigan...wouldn't that be something!

OP
OP
Billyk24

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The interesting thing about that 2nd article is this paragraph:

24 Level-3 chargers in Michigan...wouldn't that be something!
I had sent this information to Electrify America earlier in May. Don't know if it would make any difference.

As for Wisconsin, Green Bay is in desperate need for fast DC CCS charging as it has two interstate highways, thousands of weekly visitors, is 120 miles north of the greater Milwaukee area and is a gateway for travel northway and northeast into the "New England area" of Wisconsin.

OP
OP
Billyk24

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
the latest I could find about the Wisconsin use of VW funds for electric car chargers:
State requests public comment on electric vehicle charging station grant program

Release date: January 27, 2020
Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) Secretary-designee Craig Thompson announced today that the VW Mitigation Program is seeking public input on the spending of $10 million in Volkswagen Diesel Emissions Environmental Mitigation Trust funds for electric vehicle charging station (EVCS) grants.
“Wisconsin has an exciting opportunity to kickstart the adoption of electric vehicles (EV) by funding new charging stations with $10 million of Wisconsin’s VW Trust fund allocation,” said Secretary-designee Thompson. “Creating a robust EV charging network will reduce emissions while boosting economic activity by allowing current and future EV owners to travel throughout the state to work, shop and play.”
Volkswagen admitted to violating the federal Clean Air Act by selling diesel engine vehicles that that utilized an emissions test “defeat device” that resulted in the release of thousands of tons of nitrogen oxide (NOx) emissions in excess of regulated limits. Judicial settlements require Volkswagen to pay more than $2.9 billion into an Environmental Mitigation Trust Fund. The State of Wisconsin is a designated beneficiary and will receive $67.1 million over ten years to offset the excess pollution emitted by affected Volkswagen vehicles.
“The adoption of electric vehicles will significantly improve air quality, a prime objective of the VW Trust,” said Wisconsin Department of Administration (DOA) Secretary Joel Brennan. “A

statewide network of charging stations will support the growing number of EV owners residing in and visiting Wisconsin.”
Governor Evers’ directed DOA to spend up to $10 million in VW Settlement Trust funds for EVCS grants. DOA and the Volkswagen Mitigation Program released a Request for Information (RFI) to gather feedback from the public on the purchase and installation of light duty EVCS in Wisconsin. The deadline for comments is February 17, 2020 at 2 p.m.
Comments may be submitted by email ([email protected]); phone (608-261-6262) or hard copy to: VW Mitigation Program, Division of Enterprise Operations, Wisconsin Department of Administration, 101 E. Wilson Street, 6th Floor PO Box 7867 Madison, WI 53707-7867.
WisDOT recently announced that $20 million in VW Mitigation Trust funds are also available for the replacement of aging buses. Applications are due by March 18, 2019.
The complete RFI and additional background information are available on the VW Mitigation webpage at https://doa.wi.gov/Pages/vwsettlementwisconsin.aspx. For more information on the Electric Vehicle Charging Station Grant Program RFI or VW Mitigation Program, contact Ben Vondra, Department of Administration, at 608-261-6262 or [email protected].
For more information, contact:
WisDOT Office of Public Affairs
(608) 266-3581, [email protected]

@kWhpony

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Star White Premium RWD ER
Occupation
Retired technology professional
Country flag
Besides the public stations in the Ford Charging Network, dealers may also have public stations available to customers as well. I discussed this topic with my sales manager when he called to confirm my order. Details should be worked out before first deliveries occur. This will be a good back up alternative should a convenient public charging station is off-line and owners are desperate for a recharge.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicles
Country flag
Besides the public stations in the Ford Charging Network, dealers may also have public stations available to customers as well. I discussed this topic with my sales manager when he called to confirm my order. Details should be worked out before first deliveries occur. This will be a good back up alternative should a convenient public charging station is off-line and owners are desperate for a recharge.
Even a Chevy dealer may have a DCFC or so but they are usually only 50kW.

Even now, however, if you look at plugshare its a fast charging desert north of Gaylord, MI.

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Since this will be my first EV, I am not really familiar with how often I'll be wanting a fast charge. Looking at at the places around the state and the distance between them, I'm hoping there will be enough hotels offering changing (albeit slow).

Do many hotels in the northern LP offer charging? I know there are plenty in the south and even in the MBS area. I seem to remember plenty in TC as well.

OP
OP
Billyk24

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Even a Chevy dealer may have a DCFC or so but they are usually only 50kW.

Even now, however, if you look at plugshare its a fast charging desert north of Gaylord, MI.
Chevy dealers and Harley dealers usually offer 25kW "fast" chargers. Gaylord is in the process of installing two fast L3 chargers downtown but I do not know when they are going to be in operation. Michigan needs New CCS fast chargers at Bay City-West Branch-Mackinac City-Traverse City to make travel doable below the bridge. In the UP: Marquette, Escanaba, and Ironwood or Houghton.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicles
Country flag
Chevy dealers and Harley dealers usually offer 25kW "fast" chargers. Gaylord is in the process of installing two fast L3 chargers downtown but I do not know when they are going to be in operation. Michigan needs New CCS fast chargers at Bay City-West Branch-Mackinac City-Traverse City to make travel doable below the bridge. In the UP: Marquette, Escanaba, and Ironwood or Houghton.
Yeah the one in Gaylord will be in the pavillion where the farmer's market is. Nice.

Actually with a 300 mile ER Mach-E the Gaylord one opens up Mackinaw City at least from the Detroit area. Heck even in my Bolt the Gaylord DCFC gets me to Mackinaw City from home. (Yeah running a route: That Gaylord DCFC pretty much allows travel to anywhere in the Northern Lower Penninsula--Traverse City, Petoskey, Mackinaw City, Cheboygan, etc.).

The UP is still slow going, however. If You're willing to take your time and use some Level-2 Charing the UP could be handled. Although there are no interstates in the UP and thus you're not going 70-80 mph so the range hit isn't as severe.

Looks like the Gaylord chargers were hoping to be up and running by July 1.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
Yeah the one in Gaylord will be in the pavillion where the farmer's market is. Nice.

Actually with a 300 mile ER Mach-E the Gaylord one opens up Mackinaw City at least from the Detroit area. Heck even in my Bolt the Gaylord DCFC gets me to Mackinaw City from home. (Yeah running a route: That Gaylord DCFC pretty much allows travel to anywhere in the Northern Lower Penninsula--Traverse City, Petoskey, Mackinaw City, Cheboygan, etc.).

The UP is still slow going, however. If You're willing to take your time and use some Level-2 Charing the UP could be handled. Although there are no interstates in the UP and thus you're not going 70-80 mph so the range hit isn't as severe.

Looks like the Gaylord chargers were hoping to be up and running by July 1.
The US 2 speed limit is 65 in places. So people are doing 70-75 in the UP.

I’d also like to see a DCFC in Clare near the US-10 and US-127 interchange.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicles
Country flag
The US 2 speed limit is 65 in places. So people are doing 70-75 in the UP.

I’d also like to see a DCFC in Clare near the US-10 and US-127 interchange.
Really, hmm. Last time I was in the UP was 2015 so may not remember (we did tail a Mustang Convertible with our RV on that trip. Was pretty funny keeping up with them).

Yeah Clare is pretty much smack dab in the middle which would make a great spot for a DCFC.

OP
OP
Billyk24

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
In the winter, your range will drop. I do some skiing and needed closer spaced fast chargers than just the Metro Detroit area and Gaylord.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicles
Country flag
In the winter, your range will drop. I do some skiing and needed closer spaced fast chargers than just the Metro Detroit area and Gaylord.
Well aware of that, been driving with a plug for over 7 years now.

We're not skiiers so we're more likely to venture South than North when the snow flies.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
$1.7 million awarded to build 36 electric vehicle chargers – many in rural Michigan cities

The latest batch of funding for direct current fast chargers – which can charge some electric vehicles in 30 minutes – is helping other areas of Michigan grow their charging network.

The Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy announced $1.7 million in funding for 36 fast-charging stations with a total of 76 plug-in points on Thursday, Aug. 6. The site owner and electric utility provider must each pay one-third of the costs to install the charger.

Locations:

Meijer, Inc. (Ann Arbor, Muskegon, East Lansing, Grand Rapids): $187,102.50 for eight chargers

Folk Oil Co. (Dundee, Whitmore, Perry): $146,845 for six chargers

U-Go Stations Inc. (Traverse City, Clare): $100,000 for four chargers

Blarney Castle Oil & Propane (Ludington, Clare): $99,674 for four chargers

J&H Oil Co. (Cadillac, Grandville): $98,674 for four chargers

City of Marshall: $98,140 for four chargers

Walters-Dimmick Petroleum Inc. (Marshall, Big Rapids): $94,674 for four chargers

Hage Automotive (Elk Rapids, Grayling, Mackinaw City): $92,038.50 for nine chargers

City of Rogers City: $80,000 for two chargers

West Huron Properties LLC (Ann Arbor): $80,000 for four chargers

A4 Energy LLC (Brownstown Township): $50,000 for two chargers

M53 Enterprises LLC (Washington Township): $50,000 for two chargers

Venture Plaza Associates (Troy): $50,000 for two chargers

NuVu Fuels Michigan LLC (Ionia): $49,837 for two chargers

Roan & Black Inc. (Saugatuck): $49,837 for two chargers

Northland Food and Family Center (Kalkaska): $49,817 for two chargers

Bishop International Airport Authority (Flint): $47,337 for two chargers

City of Gaylord: $41,212.50 for two chargers

City of Saginaw: $40,370 for two chargers

Flint Downtown Development Authority: $40,228.04 for two chargers

Dore’s Stores, Inc. / The Jerky Outlet (Kawkawlin): $39,395.50 for two chargers

Delhi Charter Township: $35,909 for two chargers

Gemini Capital Management IX LLC (Alma): $35,895.50 for two chargers

City of Norway: $26,311.30 for one charger

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ml...-in-rural-michigan-cities.html?outputType=amp

OP
OP
Billyk24

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
$1.7 million awarded to build 36 electric vehicle chargers – many in rural Michigan cities

The latest batch of funding for direct current fast chargers – which can charge some electric vehicles in 30 minutes – is helping other areas of Michigan grow their charging network.

The Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy announced $1.7 million in funding for 36 fast-charging stations with a total of 76 plug-in points on Thursday, Aug. 6. The site owner and electric utility provider must each pay one-third of the costs to install the charger.

Locations:

Meijer, Inc. (Ann Arbor, Muskegon, East Lansing, Grand Rapids): $187,102.50 for eight chargers

Folk Oil Co. (Dundee, Whitmore, Perry): $146,845 for six chargers

U-Go Stations Inc. (Traverse City, Clare): $100,000 for four chargers

Blarney Castle Oil & Propane (Ludington, Clare): $99,674 for four chargers

J&H Oil Co. (Cadillac, Grandville): $98,674 for four chargers

City of Marshall: $98,140 for four chargers

Walters-Dimmick Petroleum Inc. (Marshall, Big Rapids): $94,674 for four chargers

Hage Automotive (Elk Rapids, Grayling, Mackinaw City): $92,038.50 for nine chargers

City of Rogers City: $80,000 for two chargers

West Huron Properties LLC (Ann Arbor): $80,000 for four chargers

A4 Energy LLC (Brownstown Township): $50,000 for two chargers

M53 Enterprises LLC (Washington Township): $50,000 for two chargers

Venture Plaza Associates (Troy): $50,000 for two chargers

NuVu Fuels Michigan LLC (Ionia): $49,837 for two chargers

Roan & Black Inc. (Saugatuck): $49,837 for two chargers

Northland Food and Family Center (Kalkaska): $49,817 for two chargers

Bishop International Airport Authority (Flint): $47,337 for two chargers

City of Gaylord: $41,212.50 for two chargers

City of Saginaw: $40,370 for two chargers

Flint Downtown Development Authority: $40,228.04 for two chargers

Dore’s Stores, Inc. / The Jerky Outlet (Kawkawlin): $39,395.50 for two chargers

Delhi Charter Township: $35,909 for two chargers

Gemini Capital Management IX LLC (Alma): $35,895.50 for two chargers

City of Norway: $26,311.30 for one charger

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ml...-in-rural-michigan-cities.html?outputType=amp
Thanks for the update. Mackinaw City to receive fast ccs charging is very helpful. 246 miles one way to my home in Northern Wisconsin. Now the Badger state has to get their act together and put in fast chargers in their northern portion inclufing green Bay which has zero.
Sponsored