Fast (level 3) chargers in northern parts of lower Michigan, the UP of Michigan, northern Wisconsin do not exist.

jdmrc93

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition in Grabber Blue
Occupation
IT Network Engineer
Country flag
Kind of annoyed that they raised the speed limits on most of the highways from 55 to 65 now lol.
Why? I go 70 minimum regardless.
Sponsored

jdmrc93

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Network Engineer
Country flag
"The Hill" is a bit annoying based on its traffic design. It's a lot of shopping with only two ways to get in or out and neither of those two ways was designed particularly well (most shopping centers of comparable size have multiple ways in and out ... each one of which is better than "The Hill" (the official name is not "The Hill" ... that's just what all us locals call it).

But visit "The Hill" on Black Friday (during a non-pandemic year) ... and you'll never make that mistake again. The traffic during the busy shopping days of the year is a disaster. During most of the year it's just a little annoying in that it might take a couple of traffic light cycles to get through the intersection. But in major holiday shopping mode... it could take you the better part of an hour to get out of that place.

The city *really* needs to re-time the traffic signals and they should probably force the property owner to add more lanes on the access roads. There are no dedicated turn lanes in or out and those should be added as well. But this is *mostly* a disaster during those peak shopping times of the year.
They're adding a third entrance/exit. I've already seen the plans for it. But those plans have obviously been delayed due to the pandemic. They were planning on building a Kohls and a few other stores (I think Trader Joes was in talks), for Fairlane Green Phase III. Though, I don't predict much will change with overall traffic. They need lights up there for sure, especially at the Target/Fairlane Drive intersection.

stroszek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Saab 92x
Country flag
Why? I go 70 minimum regardless.
Because DCFC is so scarce that going 55 would make Duluth to the Keeweenaw in one go easier and people in trucks behind me get pissed enough at me and my out of state plates as it is going the speed limit.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
EA in Bay City, MI is now active!!
While its great to see more of these...Bay City? That is just beyond Frankenmuth--I can round trip to Frankenmuth and back in my Bolt without needing a charge (I've done it ;) )....

Was just looking at a trip to Oscoda to see if I could make that in the Mach-E. Yup can almost round trip that in an ER RWD one.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
While its great to see more of these...Bay City? That is just beyond Frankenmuth--I can round trip to Frankenmuth and back in my Bolt without needing a charge (I've done it ;) )....

Was just looking at a trip to Oscoda to see if I could make that in the Mach-E. Yup can almost round trip that in an ER RWD one.
Yeah. Charging at Bay City opens up a gateway to the northern lower from metro-Detroit. Once the Cadillac location is online it would work out well so I can reach my B-I-L's cabin up north.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Fast (level 3) chargers in northern parts of lower Michigan, the UP of Michigan, northern Wisconsin do not exist. 1610056384606

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicles
Country flag
Yeah. Charging at Bay City opens up a gateway to the northern lower from metro-Detroit. Once the Cadillac location is online it would work out well so I can reach my B-I-L's cabin up north.
There is a DCFC in Cadillac--oh you mean the other one at Meijer (hmm it does say 125kW if only one car is charging):
https://www.plugshare.com/location/250958

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
yeah using one in Bay City would be a good call since any charger in Frankenmuth would only work around Christmas and would have all the displays localized to German anyway.

?

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicles
Country flag
yeah using one in Bay City would be a good call since any charger in Frankenmuth would only work around Christmas and would have all the displays localized to German anyway.

?
Now now, if its at Bronners it would be open all year ;)

For someone driving up from Ohio, however, Bay City may make a good charge stop.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Now now, if its at Bronners it would be open all year ;)

For someone driving up from Ohio, however, Bay City may make a good charge stop.
"ho ho ho now I have an EV charger" - Bruce Willis, "Drive Hard"

OP
OP
Billyk24

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
A pair of ChargePoint 62.5kW chargers have been installed at Indian River, Michigan which is 29 miles south of Mackinaw City. Not sure when it will be powered up.

OP
OP
Billyk24

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
The Electrified America CCS 150-350kW chargers are now open in Gaylord, Michigan. These are at the Meijer station next to the Tesla Superchargers. It is about 260 miles from Gaylord to the new CCS ChargePoint location in Norway, Michigan. Don't try to make it during the winter months without stopping somewhere for additional juice.

jdmrc93

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Network Engineer
Country flag
The Electrified America CCS 150-350kW chargers are now open in Gaylord, Michigan. These are at the Meijer station next to the Tesla Superchargers. It is about 260 miles from Gaylord to the new CCS ChargePoint location in Norway, Michigan. Don't try to make it during the winter months without stopping somewhere for additional juice.
Bay City is open now too. Meijer as well. Just waiting for Cadillac and Allen Park.

specialgreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BoltEV
Country flag
I just did my duty and begged Electrify America (via their submission form) to go up to Green Bay. There were additional sites I felt like adding, but decided I needed to focus the message. Posting in case it inspires others to lobby with... well, anyone.

Full text:

Robert Barrosa
VP Market Development
Electrify America
2200 Ferdinand Porsche Drive
Herndon, VA 20171
Dear Vice-President Barrosa,
Electrify America has been providing reliable service in Wisconsin along the I-94 corridor between Chicago and Minneapolis for several years, as well as north from Chicago to Milwaukee.
However, the corridor north from Milwaukee to Green Bay WI is dramatically underserved: Green Bay remains the only one out of 32 NFL cities without a single CCS charger (it is ranked Nielsen market #67 by size, and roughly double the size of Santa Barbara CA or Wilmington DE). This is not the result of a lack of EV ownership or EV transit through Green Bay (as can be observed at the busy proprietary EV chargers in Howard, WI). Rather, it is a result of a lack of agreement on EV adoption policy at the state level, which would have otherwise funded multiple smaller CCS charging stations in any other market of this size.
This provides an opportunity for Electrify America to build into a corridor of higher potential charger utilization, with reduced competition. I strongly recommend that Electrify America consider Green Bay as part of its third cycle.
As for specific site, I’d suggest the Walmart Supercenter located at 2440 W. Mason St, Green Bay WI. There is a 115kv route along the west edge of the property, and a WPS substation directly across Mason St. to the south at GPS 44.52343,-88.09422 . I have no affiliation with Wal-Mart, so cannot speak to this site’s ability to host.
I would be happy to speak with an Electrify America representative, if you’d like any further detail on why I believe Green Bay to be a good location, or how I would make use of that site in my own travel.
Sincerely,
Sponsored