Fast (level 3) chargers in northern parts of lower Michigan, the UP of Michigan, northern Wisconsin do not exist.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
Any chance that Green Bay Wisconsin, Bay City-West Branch-Grayling-Gaylord-Traverse City will receive such chargers in the future? Makes travel difficult with an EV in these states.
Sponsored

Badgeringweasel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Camry Hybrid
Country flag
Any chance that Green Bay Wisconsin, Bay City-West Branch-Grayling-Gaylord-Traverse City will receive such chargers in the future? Makes travel difficult with an EV in these states.
I second that! I live in SE Wisconsin but would definitely like to make it to those areas at some point. According to Plugshare, there isn't even a level 2 charger in NE Wisconsin north of Steven's Point or in Michigan north of Grand Rapids. It seems like EA is sticking to main highway routes, so maybe after the Mach-E comes out, you might at least see some chargers in MI along I-75. We may be SOL in NE Wisconsin though.

The only option (albeit a desperate one) is that a lot of campgrounds have 240V NEMA 14-50 plugs at campsites. I saw a Tesla charging from one at a campground in Galena, IL. If you do want to take an EV out there, you may need to camp or at least rent a campsite. TBH, if you have the time, renting a campsite for a day just to charge (with free electricity) is going to be way cheaper than level 3 charging at EA if you can find something to do for like 6 hours...

If you go on plugshare and turn minimum power to 0 kW, there are a ton of places to charge. Albeit some are not the most exciting, but a lot of them have at least 30+Amp charging and places to stay if you want to charge overnight.

Last edited:

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
OP
OP
Billyk24

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Wisconsin has level 2 chargers in Three Lakes, Hayward, double OO intersection with the birkie trail, Green Bay, Custer outside Steven's point. There is slow level 3 charger in Custer and the Harley Davison shop in oshkosh. There is a level 2 in Bayfield hotel area. Wausau and Green Bay need fast level 3 chargers.

OP
OP
Billyk24

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Bingo, we found a EA 150-350 kWh fast charger in the UP of Michigan! But... it is located at the Smithers Winter Test Center (SWTC) site and is not open to the public.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
There is one in Traverse City (a Chevy dealer so its free), and a few on the Canadian side of the soo.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Fast (level 3) chargers in northern parts of lower Michigan, the UP of Michigan, northern Wisconsin do not exist. Annotation 2020-03-11 210817

OP
OP
Billyk24

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The Chevy Dealers in Michigan have slow "fast" 25kWh and 35kWh chargers. That is true in Wisconsin for the Cluster site and the one outside Oshkosh. Real 150 kWh chargers are needed.

OP
OP
Billyk24

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Put the Smithers charger on Plugshare and see what happens?
You are suppose to indicate the exact location and none of us can do that.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Well, it was worth looking into if only for the amusement factor. Could definitely use some light heartedness these days.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
OP
OP
Billyk24

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I read just this week that Garylord, Mi is going to install two fast DC CCS , Two CHAdeMo chragers chargers and two L2 chargers. this site will be east of I-75 and downtown. I could not tell if and/or the charging rate/prices. There was no mention of any network (EA-EVgo,etc.) connections. Will be going thru Michigan in around 6-7 weeks and will check out developments. This is the address: 162-198 S Court Ave Gaylord, MI 49735 Pavilion on Court Link: https://www.petoskeynews.com/charle...cle_aa4e502f-05fc-5537-bb6e-754f46bd6617.html

Last edited:

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
I read just this week that Garylord, Mi is going to install two fast DC CCS , Two CHAdeMo chragers chargers and two L2 chargers. this site will be east of I-75 and downtown. I could not tell if and/or the charging rate/prices. There was no mention of any network (EA-EVgo,etc.) connections. Will be going thru Michigan in around 6-7 weeks and will check out developments. This is the address: 162-198 S Court Ave Gaylord, MI 49735 Pavilion on Court Link: https://www.petoskeynews.com/charle...cle_aa4e502f-05fc-5537-bb6e-754f46bd6617.html
Note that article confuses DCFC with Tesla's supercharger (they use the terms interchangeively even though they are two different things).

Did you put that one in Plugshare? It seems to have appeared in plugshare (wasn't there the last time I looked a few months ago) and that article is from November of last year.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Fast (level 3) chargers in northern parts of lower Michigan, the UP of Michigan, northern Wisconsin do not exist. Annotation 2020-05-30 221447

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billyk24

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag