FDRS - Mach-E

ProximusAl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E - SR-AWD - Star White
Country flag
I know I'm unlikely to get much of a response on this but I thought I'd try.

I have a VCM3, and access to Ford ETIS/FDRS which I have used in the past to update modules on my Focus ST.

So today, I tried it all connected to my Mach-E, but ETIS refuses to run a network test against my car.

I can confirm, that Forscan can read all of the modules quite happily via the VCM3, but I just cannot get ETIS to run the network test. It can read the VIN no problems at all.

The error was "Unable to run network test". I'm hoping this might just be a ford server side issue.
Sponsored

67 Stang Convertible

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1967 Mustang, 2013 Kia Optima, 2018 Kia Sportage
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
The software is all so new; the old diagnositcs won't work IMHO. The dealer tried to have 3rd party make me a key (instead of getting me a real back up Fob). The 3rd party guy hooked up his machine and with in 30 seconds called his boss and then told me the software is too new and his equipment could not interface with the car. ***To the dealer's credit; he did get me a real Fob at no charge to me.

OP
OP
ProximusAl

ProximusAl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The software is all so new; it old diagnositcs won't work IMHO. Had the dealer try to have 3rd party make me a key (instead of getting me a real back up Fob). The 3rd party guy hooked up his machine and with in 30 seconds called his boss and then told me the software is too new and his equipment could not interface with the car. ***To the dealer's credit; he did get me a real Fob at no charge to me.
Thanks for the input, but I know 100% that FDRS works fine with the Mach-E. There is even a video on this forum somewhere showing someone using it.

OP
OP
ProximusAl

ProximusAl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Figured this out.

It appears that the Mach-E doesn't work with Ford ETIS.

The solution, was to just use GFDRS with a Non-Dealer Motorcraft login.

Quite a few modules to be updated........

My car was built in April 21, and these are the modules that are updateable....

PCM, ABS, IPMA, SOBDMC, BCM, BECM, GWM, OBCC, SOBDM, SOBDMB.

OP
OP
ProximusAl

ProximusAl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Figured this out.

It appears that the Mach-E doesn't work with Ford ETIS.

The solution, was to just use GFDRS with a Non-Dealer Motorcraft login.

Quite a few modules to be updated........

My car was built in April 21, and these are the modules that are updateable....

PCM, ABS, IPMA, SOBDMC, BCM, BECM, GWM, OBCC, SOBDM, SOBDMB.
Well I've just had the scariest 2 hours of my life.......
I highly advise if you're going to attempt module programming the Mach-E yourself, then make sure you have an extremely tight sphincter.

I had the car on a battery maintainer, and use fords official FDRS and VCM3.

I decided to do the update, mainly to fix all of the TSB's listed for my car on ETIS...namely:

TSB 21-2212 - HV Battery not charging at level 3 DC fast charging
TSB 21-2247, TSB 21-2278 - Mainly to do with massive fan noise when charging above 10Kw

I ignored TSB 21-2277 - Driver assistance warning messages (Avoided this as it updates IPMA which takes hours, and needs calibrated after)

I took the liberty of updating my BCM - Body Control Module which subsequently knocked out my TPMS, which I had to relearn

I also updated the OBCC, whch was for the first TSB above.

So all I have left is IPMA and GWM.

I did try the GWM, which FDRS makes you download files to a USB stick, but for some reason that didnt work for me, so hope an OTA will sort that one out.

The bottom line of this, many MANY scary errors are encountered during this process, to the point where you think the car is completely broken, so be warned if you want to try it and have the kit, to be prepared. Things like:

Stop Immediately
ESC System Failure
Emergency Call System Failure.
Wrench Icons, Communications errors etc etc.....

After programming, you clear all the DTC's and the car is back to being healthy again..

I mainly did this because I sometimes charge on an 11Kw public charger, and my Mach-E sounded like a rocket with the fans blaring. Now....silent...thanks to TSB 21-2278.

I'm quite impatient, and got fed up of waiting for these OTA updates to fix the issue.

Yes....I could have got this done at a dealer...but he's 60 miles away, so I did this all on my driveway.

Blanked

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME FE , 2003 Ford Excursion EB 4x4
Country flag
The software is all so new; the old diagnositcs won't work IMHO. The dealer tried to have 3rd party make me a key (instead of getting me a real back up Fob). The 3rd party guy hooked up his machine and with in 30 seconds called his boss and then told me the software is too new and his equipment could not interface with the car. ***To the dealer's credit; he did get me a real Fob at no charge to me.
my Dealer wants over $400... that includes a $100 programming fee.. Im jealous

louibluey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Some reported that their dealer just updated all of the MME modules when doing TSBs, SSMs, or after an accident repair. I found a dealer who agreed to do the 12V TSB, 21B02, and 21B36. Then to update the other modules as needed. The initial updates took maybe two hours. The multiple module updates took overnight.

So tempted to buy a VCM3 and an annual subscription to IDS (which includes FDRS), but I would need a windows laptop too. It is just so expensive for the number of times I would use it. There would be a little savings not having to go to a dealer, but not enough, and the fun factor just doesn't cover the rest for me, for now. Maybe next year, if the budget allows ...

kltye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME Premium RWD
Country flag
Well I've just had the scariest 2 hours of my life.......
I highly advise if you're going to attempt module programming the Mach-E yourself, then make sure you have an extremely tight sphincter.

I had the car on a battery maintainer, and use fords official FDRS and VCM3.

I decided to do the update, mainly to fix all of the TSB's listed for my car on ETIS...namely:

TSB 21-2212 - HV Battery not charging at level 3 DC fast charging
TSB 21-2247, TSB 21-2278 - Mainly to do with massive fan noise when charging above 10Kw

I ignored TSB 21-2277 - Driver assistance warning messages (Avoided this as it updates IPMA which takes hours, and needs calibrated after)

I took the liberty of updating my BCM - Body Control Module which subsequently knocked out my TPMS, which I had to relearn

I also updated the OBCC, whch was for the first TSB above.

So all I have left is IPMA and GWM.

I did try the GWM, which FDRS makes you download files to a USB stick, but for some reason that didnt work for me, so hope an OTA will sort that one out.

The bottom line of this, many MANY scary errors are encountered during this process, to the point where you think the car is completely broken, so be warned if you want to try it and have the kit, to be prepared. Things like:

Stop Immediately
ESC System Failure
Emergency Call System Failure.
Wrench Icons, Communications errors etc etc.....

After programming, you clear all the DTC's and the car is back to being healthy again..

I mainly did this because I sometimes charge on an 11Kw public charger, and my Mach-E sounded like a rocket with the fans blaring. Now....silent...thanks to TSB 21-2278.

I'm quite impatient, and got fed up of waiting for these OTA updates to fix the issue.

Yes....I could have got this done at a dealer...but he's 60 miles away, so I did this all on my driveway.
The GWM should have been updated with the PowerUp 1.6 update, but I'm not sure how PowerUp updates are done outside the US.

All the error messages are caused by the software shutting down all the various modules to reduce traffic on the CANBUS. Definitely don't do the IPMA update if you don't have a right sphincter; that takes two hours at least. You don't actually have to perform a calibration after that, but still, lots of risk with no real reward.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
TSB 21-2278 technically doesn't apply to you as you have a new enough build date. Pretty odd that would have made a difference. That TSB only applies to super early build cars.

TPMS relearns automatically after you drive for a bit.

Most of the other things recalibrate automatically too. If you do update the IPMA the adaptive cruise and lane assist has to recalibrate. It does it just by driving.

This is pretty normal for module updates. Max speed is 512kbps through a VCM so that's why some of these updates are so slow.

Having that many available updates is no surprise. My 2020 superduty had about 10 module updates available already when I took delivery. The good news is Ford is always improving their software.

I wouldn't worry about updating the GWM that module handles OTAs so Ford will update it OTA if it needs to. It works as a network switch so as long as that is working you're good to go.

OP
OP
ProximusAl

ProximusAl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Some reported that their dealer just updated all of the MME modules when doing TSBs, SSMs, or after an accident repair. I found a dealer who agreed to do the 12V TSB, 21B02, and 21B36. Then to update the other modules as needed. The initial updates took maybe two hours. The multiple module updates took overnight.

So tempted to buy a VCM3 and an annual subscription to IDS (which includes FDRS), but I would need a windows laptop too. It is just so expensive for the number of times I would use it. There would be a little savings not having to go to a dealer, but not enough, and the fun factor just doesn't cover the rest for me, for now. Maybe next year, if the budget allows ...
You won’t need IDS, just FDRS.

What I did was register as an independent on ETIS which then downloads GFDRS.
I use ETIS to buy a 1 hour subscription for ÂŁ15 (~$30) which gives you an FDRS license key that lasts all day ?

Then log into FDRS not with an ETIS account but a non dealer Motocraft account and bam….you have everything. (I used an old windows 10 laptop, but the VCM3 was expensive at £1500 (~$3000).

OP
OP
ProximusAl

ProximusAl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The GWM should have been updated with the PowerUp 1.6 update, but I'm not sure how PowerUp updates are done outside the US.

All the error messages are caused by the software shutting down all the various modules to reduce traffic on the CANBUS. Definitely don't do the IPMA update if you don't have a right sphincter; that takes two hours at least. You don't actually have to perform a calibration after that, but still, lots of risk with no real reward.
I’m not sure I’ve seen anyone in the UK get PU1.6 yet, but I have seen some 1.4 updates. I’ve had neither yet.

louibluey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag
You won’t need IDS, just FDRS.

What I did was register as an independent on ETIS which then downloads GFDRS.
I use ETIS to buy a 1 hour subscription for ÂŁ15 (~$30) which gives you an FDRS license key that lasts all day ?

Then log into FDRS not with an ETIS account but a non dealer Motocraft account and bam….you have everything. (I used an old windows 10 laptop, but the VCM3 was expensive at £1500 (~$3000).
I think in the U.S. (still learning, did some more looking around after your post), we only need the motorcraftservice account (which includes a DIY owner sign in option). Then a MME owner can buy either the VCM3 ($1499 U.S.) or the VCM3 with flight recorder ($1599 U.S.) with these short term FDRS licensing options: 30 day FJDS/FDRS Software License = $200.00 per license, 2 day FJDS/FDRS Software License = $50.00 per license.

I do have a recent Dell desktop for special use; maybe it could be on a cart next to MME. Still a little pricey, but much closer to doable.

Last edited:

kltye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME Premium RWD
Country flag
You could look at ebay for compatible J2534 boxes; I bought an older Bosch model for around $700 and it works with no issues on the MME.

v8318cid

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MMe Prm. 4x , 19 Nissan Leaf, 22 GC 4xe
Occupation
Information Tech
Country flag
I have the VCM3 on order (est ship date of 7 Sept) and have been panicking somewhat trying to figure out which diagostic software to license when the time comes (hate pay walls, but curiosity is getting the better of me here). I have never taken my car back to the dealer for updates (bought in March; no clue what the build date was...) so I'm sure I have numerous waiting. I also have a '17 E450 that I'd like to check as well. Out of warranty, that one, so no worries about dealers trying to void a non-existent warranty at this point.

I'll keep your "clenching" advise in mind since I've already had a few minor scares so far (center screen scramble every few days/weeks; snapped off bolt in the "frunk").
Sponsored