Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I think the home buying analogy would have to state that the price of the house is X and the real estate agent is marking it up by Y and keeping the Y portion as broker.
You mean like the $10,000 in closing costs and other BS fees that you get charged at closing?

If you don't want to pay markup you are fully entitled to look around elsewhere or to delay your purchase altogether. If people readily pay the markups there is no reason for dealers not to add them in the same way lenders gouge you for BS loan initiation fees when you buy a house because you have no other choice.
Sponsored

J5hort

First Name
JS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
You mean like the $10,000 in closing costs and other BS fees that you get charged at closing?

If you don't want to pay markup you are fully entitled to look around elsewhere or to delay your purchase altogether. If people readily pay the markups there is no reason for dealers not to add them in the same way lenders gouge you for BS loan initiation fees when you buy a house because you have no other choice.
I suppose the closing costs could be similar to documentation and registration fees of an auto purchase. Good thing we do not have lawyer fees in the standard auto purchase. So to follow the analogy. Upon purchase and sales, a real estate broker lets you know of all the fees and what they are there for... then add. As your broker we are charging you $10K more because we have this house in our inventory. Lets say it is a condo where there are many similar units and another real estate agent does not charge the extra 10K. I think as an educated consumer I would choose my real estate agent wisely.

J5hort

First Name
JS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Picked up my Premium two weeks ago ( after 8 month wait) from Sanderson Ford in Glendale AZ.
This dealer does not do ADMs or dealer installed extras. My price was MSRP less a $600 rebate from Ford. Such dealers are out there. Just have to look for them.
Cant agree more. Smart shopping. Enjoy the MME

KevinS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E (sold), 2023 Ioniq 6 SEL
Country flag

At least, in many cases, houses are an appreciating asset (unlike vehicles.)

J5hort

First Name
JS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
At least, in many cases, houses are an appreciating asset (unlike vehicles.)
True. Unless we are talking about a special edition or limited run. Ford GT comes to mind. Worth way more than MSRP now and were marked up quite a bit when introduced. Not meant to be a mass produced, "average" car. These dealers marking up are doing a disservice to the model and to their own business if you ask me.

Jppumper

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1st car: 1966 Mustang, 2021 Mach-E X Premium
Occupation
Retired Master Certified Heavy Truck Technician
Country flag
They must have hit a honey pot of parts. I think that production is going to accelerate this year. All other orders after mine (September build-November Delivery) were put off until 2022 production year, from what my salesperson told me. I see where NYC just bought 160+ MME Patrol cars. That will be interesting to see how they hold up in those conditions.

BilLongua

First Name
Bil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Waiting on 2021 MME GT
Occupation
Marketing
Country flag
1) The Mach E is wayyyy better looking than that Hyundai. You can’t really be cross shopping them?
2) there’s lots of ways to get 110v power. You can buy an inverter for like $30 or spend more for a lithium ion unit that holds a good charge (I have both, rarely use either).
3) I waited 2 years basically to get my MME & it’s totally worth it warts and all. Tesla has a bunch of gimmicks, some useful, but mostly lame.
4) I love my volume knob. :)

BilLongua

First Name
Bil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Waiting on 2021 MME GT
Occupation
Marketing
Country flag
Also, I’m seeing a ton of gripes about the dealer markups - but this isn’t a new thing by any stretch. If you want a hot car, it’s usually not going to sell for list or a discount in most cases (unless you know someone). Am I the only one who remembers $30k Miata’s in 1990? Hell, I remember a Hyundai dealer telling me Elantras were going for $2k over list a few years back (ok, like 10) when I was helping my cousin shop for cars. I laughed and left - but they were getting it all day long. If you want a deal, you need to buy a less in demand car when inventory is high. Which may be a while.

J5hort

First Name
JS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Also, I’m seeing a ton of gripes about the dealer markups - but this isn’t a new thing by any stretch. If you want a hot car, it’s usually not going to sell for list or a discount in most cases (unless you know someone). Am I the only one who remembers $30k Miata’s in 1990? Hell, I remember a Hyundai dealer telling me Elantras were going for $2k over list a few years back (ok, like 10) when I was helping my cousin shop for cars. I laughed and left - but they were getting it all day long. If you want a deal, you need to buy a less in demand car when inventory is high. Which may be a while.
Agreed, but people should know it is not absolute and just needs to be accepted as normal practice. Depends greatly on where you choose to buy and/or have delivered. It takes time and research to find the right deal and where might be the best place to buy. We live in an instant gratification world, many just want it now and will pay a premium, but it is their choice. Just dont want the practice to be a turn off for some buyers. As mentioned, my buying experience was between identical MME's, one next town over, one a bit further away. The difference in price was $8K in price not to mention the extra 2500 state rebate that the inflated price would have disqualified. Just needs to be taken into consideration...there are alternatives dealers charging the markup would want you to believe dont exist.

BillPitman

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Escape, ‘21 J2 Space White Mach e
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My ETA has gone from 11/21-11/27, to 1/3-1/9, and now to 12/28-1/3.

Meanwhile, my car still shows as ‘on hold’ via United Road tracking, and this morning I asked my sales rep if he had any updates via VVR, and he said “nothing yet.”

The dealer I checked with for the Ionic 5 is looking for ADM, so I’m still ‘circling the airport,’ so to speak.

Just having a little clarity would help, as @Ford Motor Company ETAs seem to be nothing more than pie in the sky.
I was able to get a United Road Load #61232671, but can't register to track that number?!

OP
OP
oadesign

oadesign

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
oaddesign.com
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium Extended Range RWD
Occupation
Interactive Design Director
Country flag
So the car is in Delaware awaiting transport to Phil's Ford?!
Yes. Here in MA it takes 2-5 days for a pending pickup to get picked up. It may vary in your location, but hopefully not by much!

BillPitman

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Escape, ‘21 J2 Space White Mach e
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yes. Here in MA it takes 2-5 days for a pending pickup to get picked up. It may vary in your location, but hopefully not by much!
Thank you for all this information....appreciated greatly....Bill
Sponsored